August 2021 Moms

Re: UO Thursday

• Options
    I think sports (except UFC) are a waste of time. 
  • Options
    @jynjer3 I don't care for sports really, and I certainly think professional athletes are revered to a ridiculous degree. As for college athletes, I understand that it's complicated in that they bring in a lot of money for the universities, but I think it's crazy that football coaches make millions when professors are typically extremely underpaid. The system feels really messed up. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yay sports! UFC is like one of the few sports I don't like (sorry @jynjer3 :D)

I think that Goodbye Earl > No Body, No Crime. 
  • Options
    Love pro sports. We are huge hockey, football, and soccer fans in my house. We don't watch college sports (guess that is my UO, especially living in an area of the country where Saturday college sports is treated like a religious event for people.) Not a UFC or boxing fan because people getting the shit beat out of each other doesn't really appeal to me, but I recognize the men and women that participate are incredible athletes and at the top of their game.

I think adult Disney infatuation is weird. I'm not a fan in general of Disney, but recognize that it's magical for kids. With that said, grown adults pushing kids out of the way for a character's autograph or honeymooning there.... no. On so many levels, no.
  • Options
    Also, since we are talking about sports, just want to add how sad I am that the Olympics got cancelled this year! I love watching the Olympics, especially the obscure sports that usually don't get broadcast time.
  • Options
    @surrenderdorothy the Olympics are usually the only sports we watch and I’m super bummed about it for this year and hope they can happen next year. 

Other than the Olympics we aren’t sports people. I can watch baseball/softball but that’s about it. 
  • Options
    UO- parents telling their grown kids who don’t live at home/have their own families what they have to do for holidays and not listening to what those kids want suck. 

My mil (who lives 45 minutes from us) told me that they are coming up to our house NO MATTER WHAT on Xmas eve because it’s a tradition. Nevermind that we are in a pandemic and numbers in our state are skyrocketing and our hospitals are above 96% full. She’s mad that we aren’t going to see them and the rest of the extended family is fine seeing everyone. 
  • Options
    @jynjer3 - My whole family is super into sports and I'm just not at all! I don't care! And somehow they've roped me into doing stupid fantasy football and I hate it. Mostly because they won't just leave me alone about it and are always texting me about what I should do with my team. I'm just letting the computer decide, leave me alone! This is the last year I'm doing it.

I don't know if this is really an unpopular opinion,it's just something I hate - my MIL pretty much only texts me. She never, or very rarely, texts my husband. Like they sent us a couple packages for Christmas and I'm the one she's texts asking if they arrived. Or they like to call every Sunday and I'm the one she texts every week to ask about a time. It drives me nuts. I'm not your son's freaking secretary. 
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    @dancingnarwhal, maybe it's because I'm very type A and my husband is not (and also is super forgetful) but they only communicate things with my husband. He forgets to tell me, and then I'm completely out of the loop. This isn't malicious or anything, I have a great relationship with my in-laws and DH calls them every day on his commute home from work. However, it is has caused some big issues in the past. Most recently, he told them it was OK but forgot to ask me if it was OK for them to use a picture of me in a bikini holding our DS for their Christmas card. The cards were printed and sent by the time DH "remembered" to ask me. I could die.

*Edit for typo.
  • Options
    I don't know if this is really an unpopular opinion,it's just something I hate - my MIL pretty much only texts me. She never, or very rarely, texts my husband. Like they sent us a couple packages for Christmas and I'm the one she's texts asking if they arrived. Or they like to call every Sunday and I'm the one she texts every week to ask about a time. It drives me nuts. I'm not your son's freaking secretary. 
    So much this! I find it really exhausting.
  • Options
    @surrenderdorothy I 1,000% agree with the Disney thing! I just don’t understand what is supposed to be so awesome about it. 
    And WTF?? Who would EVER think it was ok to use a bikini pic for Xmas cards without asking the actual person in the pic?!
  • Options
    Lol to all of this! My MIL used to do that, call or text me bc DW was bad at answering the phone. She has passed now but I was always just passing the phone to DW to deal with. 

I'm not a Disney freak, def wouldn't get married there, but the first time I went was as an adult after wanting to go my whole childhood. So that made me appreciate the magic of it and I think the rides are fun. But definitely not getting autographs or anything like that. And the food is terrible. I like the fireworks and rides basically. And had a blast bring DD the summer before last. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMarried DW <3 08.2013; AI 2x; IUI 6x; IUI #7 05.2015; DD born 2.2016 o:); Reciprocal IVF FET #1 on 11.18.2020 
  • Options
    doodlemom131doodlemom131 member
    edited December 2020
    Haha I'm totally the opposite. I've got a very chill MIL and I'm a control freak. I try to communicate through MH but when I want an answer I usually go straight to her or my FIL.

My UO is I'm not a huge fan of Christmas. It means very little to me and all the money spent on it drives me up the wall. Mind you I do enjoy food and deserts.
  • Options
    @doodlemom131 not a Cmas fan here either. Im not about to spend crazy $$$ and stress myself out! I do love allll the food though too. Each to their own...but it’s not for me!
  • Options
    I love Xmas - I love spending time with family and all the holiday things we usually do. I’m really missing all the fun things this year but hope next year we can make it work/things will be more back to normal. 
  • Options
    Oh, man. So many UO’s here that are blowing my MIND.

1. I freaking LOVE Disneyland. I’m in southern CA, so I’ve gone every year (often a couple times a year) my entire life. I’m not a fanatic about it. But I do have my Disney “gear” and would, without a doubt, go without my children. And love every minute of it.
    2. CHRISTMAS?!? My favorite thing EVER. My mom has always been very “extra” with Christmas, and I naturally followed suit. 

The other ones don’t get me fired up. I also hate sports. And am grateful for a husband who isn’t really into sports either. 

My UO: I think cheesecake is gross. 
  • Options
    I love Xmas - I love spending time with family and all the holiday things we usually do. I’m really missing all the fun things this year but hope next year we can make it work/things will be more back to normal. 
    Same. It is really hard not being with family this holiday. My son hasn’t seen either set of grandparents in a year. We were way too optimistic thinking traveling Christmas would be an option. My in laws are so crushed.