May 2021 Moms

Re: UO 12/17

• I Reddit. I belong to a few subs that I contribute to, usually with advice. In ‘parentinginbulk’ I found that I have an unpopular opinion! I think when toddlers are about 2, you should stop using high chairs and start having them sit at the table to eat with you. Apparently that is young? Idk, high chairs are more for babies to me, and you can teach toddlers how to sit at the table. Maybe it’s just the teacher in me trying to get my kids to be independent. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• @yellingbanana not an UO with me but then again we stopped using our high chair way before two and started using a booster seat on one of our dining chairs. We would still do a high chair if we went out to a restaurant but we stopped going out a few months after she turned 2. To be fair, our kid has pretty much made it clear when she's done with something so we've followed her lead a lot. She'll be 3 in 3 weeks and decided she was done with the booster a couple of weeks ago so now she just sits in a chair like normal. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @yellingbanana not an UO with us either, I don't think either of my older 2 made it to 2yo, and DS#3 is 16 months, and we occasionally do a booster at the table for snacks, and stuff to start to acclimate him.
  • That makes me feel better! 😊

• edited December 2020
    @yellingbanana 😆 Turns out that for this BMB its not an UO. 

So, I'm cheap and when we were looking for a high chair I found this cute fisherprice booster chair for $9. It straps on a chair and has 3 levels and a toy tray. Well, it turns out that I recommend this to everyone. We have it on a plastic chair amd its so easy to clean and store, and if we go to grandmas its easy to through in the car. Plus, if he's not in a plate throwing mode sometimes I tuck him into the table. But, I do like keeping his mess contained, so not usually during meal times, just an activity or a snack. 

My son is only 14 months and I could see us pushing in his chair by 2. Just need to practice with the plate and food throwing a little bit more. 
  • Our daycare starts having them sit at a table with chairs as soon as they can walk, so we kinda follow that, too. 
    *Loss 8/2014*
    *Rainbow 8/2015*
    *Expected Rainbows 12/2018*
    *Loss of Twin 5/2018*

• I don't necessarily think this is an unpopular opinion, but more of a strong opinion on someone else's opinion, lol:  I really dislike when parents don't do Santa Clause.  I hate it and feel like they're robbing their children of amazing childhood magic.
    *Loss 8/2014*
    *Rainbow 8/2015*
    *Expected Rainbows 12/2018*
    *Loss of Twin 5/2018*

• @texas_t ditto. Unless they have a different religion and they have other holiday celebrations then that’s fine. But it was sad when I heard an acquaintance say they tell their kids Santa isn’t real because they want the kids to know that the parents spent the money on the presents. 

• edited December 2020
    @yellingbanana I´m one of those second generation parents. When we were young I have no idea exactly what my parents told us. But I do remember that when I was 5 someone asked me what I wanted from Santa. I thought, hey if someone wants to give me a present, great. So I said, whatever he wanted to give me. 

I´ll do the same for my kids, we´ll celebrate Baby Jesus´s birthday. I won´t say anything bad about Santa, he´s a cool story, but he doesn´t bring the presents. You can say Santa isn´t real without ruining the story. The story of Papa Noel is very nice. The old guy who gave gifts to kids. Plus promoting the idea of giving to others is great. 

I grew up without Santa being real and it didn´t ruin Christmas for me. I love fairy tales, they are exciting, but telling your kids that elves and fairies aren´t real won´t ruin fairy stories if you say it the right way. 
  • ec1212ec1212 member
    edited December 2020
    I'm too much of a realist for little kids' ears, and think they should be isolated from parental realism and be able to enjoy some fairy tales and make-believe at least until they ask point-blank for the truth. Santa & Tooth Fairy = totally real. Easter Bunny = kinda terrifying, might tell the truth on that guy from the start. :p
  • We moved to a booster pretty early too mostly because I never really liked our high chair. I do like having her strapped in though until I’m done eating, so that she’s not trying to get up and run around!

We read stories about Santa and all but I will leave it at that, they’re just stories. I don’t want my girls thinking they need to sit on some random man’s lap and ask for presents or that this dude is really coming into our house at night 😂
  • Love that fishers price booster @littlelibelula! I use that nearly right from the get go once they can sit up on their own. I think it’s great to have them feel like they are sitting at the table with the family just like everyone else. 
  • mkc3888mkc3888 member
    edited December 2020
    @yellingbanana we have gone through 2 high chairs. They both transitioned into something else. So one the tray broke and wouldn’t click on anymore. So now we use that one literally everyday. It turned into a chair with a table, so she plays with play doh on it, or if we decide to be lazy and eat in the living room she eats at it. It’s also where she can color and do other little activities. The other high chair we bought converts from a high chair to a booster to a stool. My daughter still uses the stool at the table and sometimes uses a regular chair. One of our dining chairs broke so her stool is in its place. It’ll probably stay there until we get a new table and chairs. I’ll also add, her high chair was always at the table or next to my chair at the table. I found silicone plates were harder for her to pick up and make a mess with. She likes to eat at the table with us and I don’t know when we made the change because she always ate with us, even if it was in the high chair, if that makes sense. 

TTC #1 since August 2015
    BFP #1 January 28, 2016
    EDD October 3, 2016
    Felicity Joy, born September 2, 2016
    My Chart
    TTC #2 Since August 2020
    BFP #2 September 11, 2020
    EDD May 23, 2021