May 2021 Moms

Hypnobirthing

brynn_mamaof4brynn_mamaof4 member
edited December 2020 in May 2021 Moms
Does anyone have any resources they have enjoyed on hypnobirthing practice? I’m not fully decided what I am going to do this birth but I’m leaving toward unmedicated. I had an unmedicated and intervention free birth with my first, fully unprepared for that. It was due to getting to the hospital at 10cm and trying my hardest not to push her out in the car. But I know if I could do that when I was fully unprepared that I can have a successful unmedicated and intervention free birth and delivery this time with REAL preparation and expectations. My 2nd I got an epidural at 8cm because I was throwing up with every contraction and I just needed a break, my 3rd I just went ahead and got the epidural pretty quickly... but with this being my last I think I just want to experience it again. 

I feel like hypnobirthing would be great for me because I love meditation and I typically listen to meditative sounds at night to go to sleep. That being said, does anyone have resources they recommend? I’m not the type of person to do a class, i’d rather just learn on my own. I won’t have a doula either. 

Thank you!!

Re: Hypnobirthing

• I read the Hyponobirthing textbook last time & didn’t do a formal class. It’s mostly meditative and progressive relaxation/breathing techniques. I’m drawn to it because of yoga and it seemed to come naturally to me. I definitely thought it was worth it to read the textbook even without a class. 

Since I have less free time to focus with a toddler, I wanted to do an actual class this time (but virtual, self paced), but learned that certified Hypnobirthing instructors are required to teach live. There are several spin-offs though- Hypnobabies and Hypnobubs are two I’ve seen. I may do the Hyponobubs online class. 
  • ec1212ec1212 member
    edited December 2020
    @brynn_mamaof4 we had a conversation somewhere on natural/unmedicated childbirth a couple months back but I can't find it. I copied down everyone's recs (and just ordered all the books) but don't know who recommended which things so can't give them credit.

Books
    • Natural Hospital Birth
    • Birth Without Fear
    • The Birth Partner
    • Ina May’s Guide to Childbirth
    • Hyponobirthing textbook

Podcasts
    • The Birth Hour
    • All About Pregnancy & Birth

Videos

• Loading the player...
  • @ec1212 @ckmb_1250 awesome thank you! Looks like I’ll check out the hypnobirthing textbook and I don’t mind the idea of online classes, I’ll check those out! I haven’t gotten into podcasts yet (I haven’t tried) but I think I may be motivated to listen to birthing ones right now! 
  • Can I just say.... I wish I could. I went into my first labor with a drug-free plan and I really wish that it had gone my way. I really wanted a natural birth experience. Unfortunately, I’m a repeat c-section, but I hate it. I truly hope you ladies have beautiful labors and a memorable birth experience ❤️ 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• brynn_mamaof4brynn_mamaof4 member
    edited December 2020
    @yellingbanana I’m so sorry you didn’t get the experience you were hoping for! It is tough when our expectations don’t go as planned. I felt that way with my first and NOT being completely numb to pain lol. I was only 20 and was fully unprepared for that type of birth but it had to be done at that point .. had no choice! 

My insurance also doesn’t cover maternity care so I’m paying for everything out of pocket this pregnancy. It’s not my leading motivation by any means but saving dollars on meds and an anesthesiologist is certainly nice lol. 
  • Here's the thread that @ec1212 was referring to. https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12757036/unmedicated-birth-november-check-in
    It's supposed to be a monthly thing, but SkilledSailor hasn't been on in a month. I hope she's doing ok...
    I have had three unmedicated births but did not use hypnobabies, so I can't answer your specific questions. I think the thing that helped me the most (besides my doula) was taking it just a few minutes at a time.
  • @brynn_mamaof4 Just wondering, what exactly do you mean by maternity care? What fits under that category? 
  • @littlelibelula I am paying for all of my OB care out of pocket. Nothing is covered. I will also pay all hospital charges for labor and delivery. Surprisingly, it hasn’t been as bad as I expected so far. All 9 months of my OB care through one of the best hospital networks in my state is about $4,000 total. Then I’ll have the hospital charges for labor and delivery. 
  • @brynn_mamaof4 I don't have insurance coverage either and for my husband's sake wish we could afford the $4000-6000 to have a private hospital birth. I'm really hoping to keep ours under $1000 or hopefully under $600-700. But the doctor just ordered a blood test that cost $235; I miss Canadian health care. 

I love all these ideas to keep interventions at a minimum. 
  • @brynn_mamaof4 does your hospital for sure itemize your bill like that though? I know it’s not your main motivation for going intervention-free, but I learned when I got my bill that my hospital just categorizes each birth into level 1, 2, or 3 from uncomplicated to complicated, and has a flat charge for each level 🤷🏻‍♀️ No clue if that’s common. 
  • @ckmb_1250 that sounds like a nice way to do it! I don’t know about others but my hospital itemizes everything during L&D down to the ibuprofen.
  • @gusgus14 When my son was born last year the receipt of my private hospital had a detailed monetized list of EVERYTHING and they circled what the insurance didn't include. 
  • @gusgus14 @littlelibelula interesting! I think my hospital does it that way to avoid creating a conflict of interest where they may feel inclined to offer more interventions to rack up the bill. Now I’m wondering if it’s part of the Baby Friendly hospital certification, which my hospital is working towards certification on, I will have to look it up.
  • @ckmb_1250 everything is itemized, I remember even being charged for items in the room I used (years back). Craziness! 
  • They will 100% itemize things if your paying with insurance.  If you are cash pay, they probably will not.  Everything is charged COMPLETELY different. Which is soooo crazy to me!
    *Loss 8/2014*
    *Rainbow 8/2015*
    *Expected Rainbows 12/2018*
    *Loss of Twin 5/2018*

• I paid with insurance 🤷🏻‍♀️  Now I’m so curious how common the pay at my hospital is! I looked it up and it’s not specifically stated in the baby friendly criteria.