May 2021 Moms
Options

Weekly Appointments 11/30

Share anything you want from your doctor's appointments this week here...questions, news, etc. 

Re: Weekly Appointments 11/30

• Options
    I only had to pee in a cup today 😊 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @ccmrc143 awesome news!
  • Options
    RANTY RANTS below. 

Had my 16 wk check-in with regular OBs office today. I started my rotation through the rest of the doctors at my group practice, so it was my first time seeing a different doc than the one I saw throughout my pre-pregnancy visits and my first trimester.

This doctor told me a few things and I don't like any of them. 
    - I have an anterior placenta. According to the internet I'm finding out about when most women would, but I also feel like a lot of women here in our BMB found out earlier than 16 wks that they had one. (Looking at the thumb-sucking u/s from yesterday, I thought that was my placenta in front of him). I'm only disappointed 'cause I'm so anxious to start feeling him move by Christmas (20 weeks) but now I might not feel him 'til a while later than that.
    - This doc wants to start me on baby aspirin. The other doctor never mentioned it in 5 visits with her, and it's based on a few moderate risk factors we've known about this whole time - I'm over 35, this is my first pregnancy and I have a higher BMI based on my starting weight. I'm not psyched about it because I have excellent bp and no history of pre-e in my family, and I'm also annoyed that I wasn't told earlier because ideally I would have started on it last week. 
    - Related to my weight and my least favorite of all things heard on this visit - today's doc said I should only gain 15-20 lbs. (!) and that she wants me to consult with a nutritionist. My other doc said in the range of 25 lbs. was fine. I've gained 5 lbs in the five weeks since my last visit, so I think she was a bit alarmed. I had also just had lunch before my appointment, drank 30 oz. of water so I could pee in the cup and it was the middle of the day during the week after Thanksgiving. I even wore yoga pants instead of jeans and took off my shoes. 🤷🏽‍♀️😂I know I didn't really gain 5 lbs, but that's what she has to go on. I'm so annoyed I have to meet with a nutritionist. 

• Options
    @ec1212 Honestly, if I were you, I'd call up there and ask for the original doctor to call you and discuss a few things.  The things that stick out to me are baby aspirin (I'm not a doctor, obvi, but based on everything you said, there is no need for that). My doc was also a bit concerned because my blood pressure was a bit high at my first appointment, but since then it's been great and there has been no mention of anything.  Secondly, it would be the nutritionist.  FYI, I'm quite a bit overweight and 37 and my doctor has said zero about my weight except when I lost a pound and he told my that was normal in the first tri because of morning sickness.  I'm all for being cautious, but this just seems a bit excessive to me?  
    *Loss 8/2014*
    *Rainbow 8/2015*
    *Expected Rainbows 12/2018*
    *Loss of Twin 5/2018*

• Options
    brynn_mamaof4brynn_mamaof4 member
    edited December 2020
    @ec1212 if it makes you feel any better, I also have an anterior placenta. I had it in my mind to not really feel the baby move until much later than I’m used to and others would be commenting/posting about, but I did feel the baby a few nights ago for the first time! I was lying in my side and I felt it super low on my side, so I think the baby was in a good position to maybe avoid the placenta? Idk, but I definitely felt it. I haven’t since... but just as a heads up! Otherwise it’s totally okay to have an anterior placenta from my neurotic google searches lol. 
  • Options
    yellingbananayellingbanana member
    edited December 2020
    @ec1212  I have an anterior placenta also, and while I can feel baby here and there, it isn’t as much as I could with my other babies (I’m 18+3). But like @brynn_mamaof4 I can feel it best when lying down on my side. 
    As far as the doctor goes, it just depends on the doctor and their practice/philosophy. When I went in, I was about 20lbs heavier than my ‘normal’ weight thanks to covid. So my Ob said I should only gain about 15-20lbs. I started laughing pretty hard. I consider myself normally athletic and in healthy shape. This is my 4th baby, and I know that I will gain a very minimum of 50lbs. It was 70lbs with my 1st! I do gain less when I eat healthy and am active, but still way over the recommended amount. So the point here is, we are all different, and our bodies start off different, and will react to pregnancy differently. Try your best to eat a healthy, balanced diet and you should be fine. Don’t stress too much about how much weight you are going to gain. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    @ec1212 will you still see your original doctor at some visits? If something isn’t feeling right to you I would definitely discuss with a Dr I trusted more. I guess my thought is when you rotate through Drs to meet them all, it’s just so you don’t run into a stranger when you go to deliver, but the bulk of your care should be consistent with the Dr you’ve chosen? I don’t know if that’s how other people approach it but that’s always been my thought. 
  • Options
    @ec1212 I’m sorry you had that experience and don’t love this doctor. I agree that you should call to get a second opinion on all of the things you’re not comfortable with! 

As for baby aspirin, there’s an interesting article (link below) about it I read which almost says every pregnant woman should take it regardless of risk factors. In addition to pre-e, it can help prevent clots from forming in the placenta and the cord. I completely understand your hesitations and I’m 100% not trying to convince you do do anything you don’t want to do!!!! I’m on blood thinners and may start baby aspirin in a few weeks too, for the clotting issues—so my experience is definitely different. 

I also have an anterior placenta, and I knew about it because I read my scan from 12w—no one actually told me! Now I’m only 17w and a FTM so I’m not expecting to feel baby till like 22w :( But agree with @brynn_mamaof4 that there’s nothing technically concerning with it. Just sucks!!! 
  • Options
    @ec1212 I'm so sorry about the upsetting appointment. From the information I have, the baby aspirin protocol seems to follow recommendations. I get that you would have like to find out before though. I'm with the others regarding getting a "second" opinion on what was said at this appointment. I've chased doctors down and had to play around the system a little this summer and today I couldn't be happier that I did.
  • Options
    @ccmrc143 I don't know if I've told you this before but during my last pregnancy, they told me I had an anterior placenta at my 12 weeks scan and I felt baby at week 19. It's very likely to migrate when seen so early.
  • Options
    ec1212ec1212 member
    edited December 2020
    thank you all ladies!!

@texas_t I was thinking of sending my original doc a note through the portal just asking about the aspirin and weight range. I think she’s less about unnecessary interventions than the lady I saw today. 

@ckmb_1250 the doctor I started with isn’t part of the delivery rotation when we’re due next year 😩. I didn’t find that out until my 8 wk visit. But I do have to meet all 8 docs, so I’m making the rounds because I have to and hoping I find one I like enough to visit more than the others in 3rd tri. 

@yellingbanana @brynn_mamaof4 I swore I felt him last night after i went pee in the middle of the night. It was a very distinct feeling. I’ve been feeling the bubbles feeling for about a week but thought that was too high to be him, but based on where he was during my a/s yesterday I think it’s in the right place. 
  • Options
    @ec1212 My mfm recommended I gain no more than 5-10lbs because of my weight.  I try not to take it to heart, he just wants my pregnancy to be as healthy as possible.  My last pregnancy I gained between 10-15 pounds from my starting weight because I lost so much early on.  He also recommended I start baby asprin daily to reduce  the risk of pre e.  When I questioned him because I didin't have it last pregnancy and no family history, he said that because my weight was a risk factor and there was nearly no risk to adding a baby asprin.  I'd say to talk to your regular ob if you're concerned.  I just wanted to share that I got similar advice.  

TTC #1 since August 2015
    BFP #1 January 28, 2016
    EDD October 3, 2016
    Felicity Joy, born September 2, 2016
    My Chart
    TTC #2 Since August 2020
    BFP #2 September 11, 2020
    EDD May 23, 2021

• Options
    @ccmrc143 thanks - that was a good article
    @mkc3888 thanks for sharing - it's great to hear everyone's experiences. For me, I'm very busty with a booty. I'm pretty sure half the weight I've gained so far has been in my bust. :D

In any event, I've calmed down a little though I don't like this doctor any more than I did yesterday. I feel good about where I'm at with weight gain so far, and I feel good about being able to exercise and cook again so I can more actively manage my health this trimester.

I'm going to shoot my original doc a note about aspirin and goal weight range, but will start on the aspirin anyway in the interim.

I've read everything I could find on the aspirin and I understand there's almost zero downside to taking it, whereas the risks of pre-e are horrible. I had a bad response to the advice because I have issues with how we approach health and healthcare, diet/nutrition and basic lifestyle management in our country and don't like feeling I'm being asked to take something without all of my lifestyle factors being taken into consideration.

All of that said, as long as I have to talk to a nutritionist, I'd like to make it an opportunity for our BMB. I don't have any questions for her but maybe some of my preggo sisters here do! I'll throw a post in the questions board and I'll try and ask her as many of your questions as I can get away with. 
  • Options
    I'm also glad to hear about y'alls experience.  So crazy how everyone's is so different!
    *Loss 8/2014*
    *Rainbow 8/2015*
    *Expected Rainbows 12/2018*
    *Loss of Twin 5/2018*

• Options
    @ec1212 sounds like an interesting appointment *insert eye roll emoji*. I agree with the others that I feel like it's really hard to control weight gain during pregnancy...I'm fricken starving all. The. Time. And if I don't eat them I'm nauseous so guess what, I'm eating! I've also never heard of them recommending baby aspirin to all pregnant women (sorry, combining here and randoms because I finally have time to catch up 🤣).

I hope you all with anterior placentas start feeling baby soon!
    Me:29 DH:30
    Married:10/2012
    TTC #1: 12/2017
  • Options
    Hady 16 week appointment today and everything is good! Boring lol which is good and baby has a heartbeat in the 140s 😍
    Me:29 DH:30
    Married:10/2012
    TTC #1: 12/2017
  • Options
    @spartan4life I had a fasting blood test this morning and the longer I waited the worse I felt. Pregnant people cannot be forced to not eat, its terrible, the nausea and the desire to eat never goes away. My toddler wasn't having fun in his carseat, stuck in traffic on the way to the lab, so I was feeding him the packed breakfast. But I kept forgetting and had to stop myself before licking my fingers and eating the food I was feeding him.