3rd Trimester

Conceived Two Days Before Period

Hi, I'm new here, and I wanted to see if anyone has had a similar experience and/or insight. My husband and I conceived two days before I got a 7 day, HEAVY period. I basically built a barricade around myself and still managed to have to launder our comforter twice. Anyway, due to moving in with our in laws for a short while, we were only together once in 3 months - on April 9th, but the doctor will only calculate the due date by my last period. I've read sperm can live for 3-7 days, but I have no clue what my actual due date is. The doctor claims it's January 17th. I personally think it's 10-14 days earlier. Can anyone set me straight? Or share their experience?

Re: Conceived Two Days Before Period

• Hi, I'm new here, and I wanted to see if anyone has had a similar experience and/or insight. My husband and I conceived two days before I got a 7 day, HEAVY period. I basically built a barricade around myself and still managed to have to launder our comforter twice. Anyway, due to moving in with our in laws for a short while, we were only together once in 3 months - on April 9th, but the doctor will only calculate the due date by my last period. I've read sperm can live for 3-7 days, but I have no clue what my actual due date is. The doctor claims it's January 17th. I personally think it's 10-14 days earlier. Can anyone set me straight? Or share their experience?
    Sorry, but its very unlikely to get pregnant two days before your period..... After ovulation, the egg is only around for 12-24 hours and ovulation typically occurres two weeks before your period.  
  • If you are due in January they’ve had the chance to do a dating US which is more accurate than going by your period anyway. If it was truly a period any implanted egg would not have survived as all your uterine lining would have detached. You may have had some other kind of bleed that can be common during pregnancy. Due dates are truly just a guess anyway.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Loading the player...
  • I know it seems ridiculous and unlikely. Was very shocked when I found out I was pregnant. And perhaps it was some other bleed than a period. This is my third child, and I have charted my cycle for 10 years now, so I've got the basics down. However, there are such things as flukes, 2-3 ovulations, low progesterone, etc that can cause pregnancy right before an expected period.

The doctors are in fact going with the due date calculated by my last period rather than an US dating. Not sure it would make a difference though as my daughter was born 1 percentile and my son was 13th. I have small babies, so they appear younger in ultrasounds anyway.

Was just hoping to get some support.
  • I know it seems ridiculous and unlikely. Was very shocked when I found out I was pregnant. And perhaps it was some other bleed than a period. This is my third child, and I have charted my cycle for 10 years now, so I've got the basics down. However, there are such things as flukes, 2-3 ovulations, low progesterone, etc that can cause pregnancy right before an expected period.

The doctors are in fact going with the due date calculated by my last period rather than an US dating. Not sure it would make a difference though as my daughter was born 1 percentile and my son was 13th. I have small babies, so they appear younger in ultrasounds anyway.

Was just hoping to get some support.
    Dating US’s are typically done at 8-12 weeks because the growth of the baby is pretty predictable regardless of how big they grow to be in utero. That’s why 3rd tri growth scans are notoriously inaccurate but they can generally place a due date for someone with irregular periods in the 1st tri.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::