1st Trimester

Thyroid levels

Good morning all,

I am in my 6th week according to the Bump. I’m scheduled for an ultrasound on Tuesday and will be seeing my doctor on November 4.

In the mean time, he sent me for bloodwork to get everything tested. My thyroid came back at a level of 13.4. 

Have any if you experienced this?

I turned to dr Google and it’s just upsetting me as it seems as if miscarriage could be in my future. 

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. 

Re: Thyroid levels

• Mine wasn't nearly that high, it was 4.3ish but my doctor put me on synthroid for the duration of my pregnancy and it worked wonders. 
  • You should call your doctor and ask them the same question. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Ignore DR Google!!!!! Please contact your OB/GYN (the doctor you should be asking these questions to) for a real answer and a way to monitor you! 
  • Thanks :) I was just trying to reassure myself until my appointment. I have a virtual appointment with an endocrinologist tomorrow and a follow up with my OB on November 4th
  • TW loss mentioned

Hi there, do you have a history of hypothyroidism? If you're already on levo or synthroid the American Thyroid Association says you should independently increase your dose 20-30% as soon as you find out you're pregnant, until you can get labs done and work closely with your endocrinologist to monitor it. If you're not already on meds, still ask your doctor who will have you do bloodwork regularly, especially in the first trimester. 

I've had hypo my whole life. Last pregnancy my thyroid was 12 which is way too high, and I did miscarry. This time, it was also 12.5 for a week, but so far no problems. I get labs every two weeks and the doctor tweaks my dosage as necessary. Just taking pills brings it back down to a normal level. 
  • No history whatsoever! I’ve started a medication and just praying all continues well
  • I developed hyperthyroid with my first pregnancy and it never went away sadly. They should be able to get you on medication to level it out. Good luck!