Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Sleep deprived and made a big mistake

On the first night back from the hospital I was exhausted and focused so much on feeding my baby. I started to assemble my breast pump and started pumping. I then fed the milk to my baby. Afterwards I read the manual and realized I had forgotten to wash all the parts and the bottles that came with it. This was 6 days ago now. I called the pediatrician my baby would be seeing and she said it wouldn't hurt him, then I called poison control who basically said the same thing. When I went to his first appointment I mentioned it to another pediatrician who said baby is fine and not to worry about it. The bottles were sterilized or washed. They smelled like plastic too. I'm still freaking out worried about what could've been in them, etc. He has been seen my two pediatricians twice. I'm afraid the pediatricians are just telling me anything to make me feel better. I don't know what to do but I've been crying for almost a week now and I'm terrified I've truly hurt my precious baby and I'll never forgive myself. I need help, advice, anyone else do anything similar? Was your baby okay? 

Re: Sleep deprived and made a big mistake

• On the first night back from the hospital I was exhausted and focused so much on feeding my baby. I started to assemble my breast pump and started pumping. I then fed the milk to my baby. Afterwards I read the manual and realized I had forgotten to wash all the parts and the bottles that came with it. This was 6 days ago now. I called the pediatrician my baby would be seeing and she said it wouldn't hurt him, then I called poison control who basically said the same thing. When I went to his first appointment I mentioned it to another pediatrician who said baby is fine and not to worry about it. The bottles were sterilized or washed. They smelled like plastic too. I'm still freaking out worried about what could've been in them, etc. He has been seen my two pediatricians twice. I'm afraid the pediatricians are just telling me anything to make me feel better. I don't know what to do but I've been crying for almost a week now and I'm terrified I've truly hurt my precious baby and I'll never forgive myself. I need help, advice, anyone else do anything similar? Was your baby okay? 
    @jaylaleann3 I know that was probably scary, especially as a first-time mom just home with a new baby. But, unless you are seeing some kind of worrying symptoms in your infant, I would try to accept the reassurances of your pediatricians and poison control. Your baby is likely completely fine and maybe ingested a little dirt or dust from not washing before using the pump. Postpartum hormones' are a bear, if you can't let go of this worry I would probably bring it up with your OB as it may be a marker for PP depression or anxiety. 
  • That's the thing. The dirt/debris/dust whatever I'm worried about it making him sick or what if some other germs were in there?
  • Loading the player...
  • That's the thing. The dirt/debris/dust whatever I'm worried about it making him sick or what if some other germs were in there?
  • @jaylaleann3 it's been 6 days, so he would have likely shown symptoms by now if there were any concerning germs on there. Honestly dust and dirt are not a big concern - they're just a part of life and something he's going to ingest. Soon enough he'll be two years old and eating dirt and giving you a muddy grin! Honestly, he's been to the pediatrician twice now and they've both assured you this isn't a concern. I would trust your pediatrician!
  • I guess so. But what about other things from the factory it was in or from shipment etc? Idk. I'm going to trust the pediatrician and try to forgive myself. I feel like the worst mom in the world.
  • I guess so. But what about other things from the factory it was in or from shipment etc? Idk. I'm going to trust the pediatrician and try to forgive myself. I feel like the worst mom in the world.
    You’re not the worst mom in the world so stop telling yourself that and relax! Being a new mom for the first time is terrifying I know and I was constantly freaking out about germs and anything of the like until I had to chill out before I went crazy. Babies need to build immune systems one way or another anyway. The factory is not making your pump parts with deadly chemicals or in unsanitary conditions trust me that would be a health violation. Also think about it not many germs can survive outside of human hosts for that long anyway. If he’s not having symptoms and your docs were okay with it you need to trust them and not worry about it. Mom guilt is hard, and the added hormones/sleep deprivation just adds to it. but you didn’t hurt your baby. Think about how many people probably don’t know that they need to wash/sterilize things. Breathe and move on! 
  • Thank you, I needed to hear this and I hope you're right... I'm still trying to get over it and I know I should forgive myself.