February 2021 Moms

Freezer meal thread

It’s almost time to prep freezer meals!  (Freezer meals are meals that are completely or mostly ready to cook that can be frozen. They are very helpful for the first couple of weeks after baby is born!)

Post your ideas and links to (or pictures of) recipes if you have them!

Please specify if it’s for crock pot/oven/instant pot/ microwave/other as not everyone has each of those. 

Re: Freezer meal thread

• moguippymoguippy member
    edited November 2020
    So this is one that i actually got from my last BMB. 

There seems to be two different ingredient lists (I use the one with 3 cups of chicken broth). 
    Tips:
    -the chicken needs to be precooked. I usually use leftover turkey (perfect time of year!) or a rotisserie chicken. 
    -To make it a little healthier I substitute more veggies instead of the potatoes and only use a top crust. I usually reduce the salt if I use a salty broth. 
    -this recipe makes 2 pot pies, I usually cook one that night and freeze half the filling for a later time (or freeze both). 
    When you want to eat it I take the filling out of the freezer the day before to defrost. Then just pour it in a pie pan, put the top crust on and throw it in the oven. 
  • tamalahoopstamalahoops member
    edited November 2020
    Shepherds Pie: https://www.thepioneerwoman.com/food-cooking/recipes/a84156/freezer-friendly-shepherds-cottage-pie/ (I don't add carrots because I don't like them in my shepherds pie and also what the hell she mashes her potatoes on a cookie sheet with a fork?!)

Butternut squash enchiladas: https://www.skinnytaste.com/butternut-squash-and-black-bean/ (we buy precut butternut squash and roast half of it for dinner and the other half for enchiladas)

Hawaiian Sweet roll sliders: https://www.makeaheadmealmom.com/hawaiian-sweet-roll-sliders/ (don't forget about lunch!)

Spinach and cheese stuffed shells: I have no recipe for this, just mom's recipe by memory. It easy; sauteed spinach and garlic added to ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, 1 egg, salt and pepper, stuff it into the shells cover with sauce and cheese and freeze.

Pasta e fagioli Soup: This is another family recipe but I make it so often and have written it down for my dad and sisters so many times I have it memorized. I like to double the recipe, freeze half and keep the other half for lunch during the week. 
    2 tbsp Olive oil
    1 lb italian sausage (can be sweet, mild or spicy depending on your preference)
    1 Large yellow onion
    2 cloves garlic
    2 tbsp tomato paste
    1 box crushed tomatoes
    1 box chicken broth 
    1 can white beans 
    2 bay leaves
    2ish springs thyme
    1 bunch spinach with stems removed
    1 box ditalini pasta

Heat a large pot over med-high heat. Add olive oil and heat until shiny. Add sausage and brown for about 5 minutes, add chopped yellow onion and minced garlic and cook until sausage is cooked through and onions are soft and translucent. Add tomato paste and stir into sausage and onions. Let cook for 1-2 minutes (its okay if it burns a little on the bottom - we're going to deglaze in the next step.) Add chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Add drained can of white beans, bay leaves and thyme. Let simmer on low for as long as you need to, the longer it simmers the better. I usually do at least 30 min. Right before serving or freezing add spinach and cover with lid until spinach is just wilted. Serve over freshly cooked ditalini pasta. TIP: I don't like the soup to be absorbed into the pasta because I like the pasta to still be firm and al dente. So if I'm freezing it I freeze the soup by itself and then make the pasta the night I'm thawing the soup and eating it. If its going in the fridge for lunches I pack the soup and pasta separately. My mom packs them together so its just preference. 

Edited to add! I have made the pasta e fagioli vegetarian by subbing veg broth for the chicken broth and diced mushrooms and an extra can of beans for the sausage. It was very good! 

Me: 31 Husby: 36
    Married May 2014
    TTC # 2  Since December 2021
    Baby girl W born 2/2021
    Our journey so far...
    (tw loss & infertility)
    Diagnosis: Poor Egg Quality 
    Working with an RE since March 2016
    2 failed TI cycles
    3 failed IUI cycles

IVF Feb - April 2017
    23 eggs collected, 20 mature, 14 fertilized with ICSI, 4 day 3 blasts, 3 day 5 blasts, 1 PGS normal
    Transferred 1 PGS normal embryo 4.12.17
    BFP 4.21.17
    MMC due to small gestational sac 6.8.17

Our adoption journey:
    12.25.18 Agency picked and apps submitted!
    5.1.19 Adoption on hold so we can buy a house! 
    1.1.20 Homestudy process started
    3.14.20 First social worker visit
    5.25.20 Homestudy Approved & Submitted to Agency

6.1.20 Surprise! Positive pregnancy test!
    Healthy baby girl born 2/10/2021

• Loading the player...
  • My mom and I made a bunch of freezer meals with DS, and it was great. I'll have to find my list somewhere and post them. Thanks for reminding me to prepare for this time too! 
  • @tamalahoops I love shepherds pie but have never made it myself so thank you for the recipe!

I will also make a baked ziti and lasagna to freeze as well as a few meatloaves. 

Im thinking I should make some breakfast stuff too but I don’t really love hot breakfast. I love baking so I’ll probably make some muffins to freeze.. any other ideas? 
  • @moguippy I saw a lot of like "french toast bakes" that are freezerable on pinterest when i was looking last time. Also like a tater tot casserole with ham and egg, or egg cups. ETC. haven't tried any of those before.

My freezer foods list that I found includes a lot of casseroles.
    they baked really easy

here's what I got, I will get recipes if you guys want when I'm not at work
    -Chicken casserole (it was my grandmas recipe, basically soup, bread pieces and cooked chicken)
    -an olive garden copy cat chicken gnocchi soup recipe
    -chicken broccoli rice casserole
    -freezer chicken pot pie
    -lemon garlic dump chicken
    -ziti taco bake
    -tater tot casserole
    -meatloaf

i think i'll make some meatballs to freeze too for meatball subs or spaghetti 
    last time i made like 2-4 (depending on the recipe) meals out of each recipe so I had a bunch to pick from. my family is totally fine with eating the same thing every week HAHA
  • @moguippy - Muffin-cup frittata / egg cups are my go-to for using up leftover meats & veggies from the rest of the meal prep for the week. I usually eat them before I'd need to freeze, but one of my close friends makes huge batches and freezes them so she can take a few out at a time and heat up to eat as-needed so I know they freeze just fine. 

Preheat oven to 375 F.
    Oil muffin cups/tin (spray, rub, brush, whatever your non-stick preference is)
    Load up cups with meats/veggies/cheese to your heart's content.
    In a bowl, beat eggs with a smidge of salt & pepper and a splash of milk or cream and then pour over "toppings."
    ( I usually don't fill the cups more than 3/4 full because they expand when baking.)
    Bake for around 20 minutes or so.
    Me: 34 | DH: 46
    SD: 21 & SS: 17
    BFP #2 6/3/2020

*Trigger Warning*
    TTC 6/13/2015 | BFP #1 5/14/2017 | MMC 7/28/2017 (Trisomy 18) | IL + D&C 8/4/2017

• @tamalahoops thanks for posting the Pasta e Fagioli soup recipe! That sounds so good!! I think I am going to make it next week since its finally getting cooler out and soup is sounding yummy

@PinkKathryn12 if you can share the chicken broccoli rice casserole you like that would be great! And the ziti taco bake too if you have it :) 
  • This is a fave of mine. I’ve never tried freezing it, but after some quick googling, I think it should work, so I plan to give it a try! https://www.weightwatchers.com/ca/en/recipe/mac-n-cheese-with-creamy-squash-sauce/5bf2caf68287e80094258d05
  • I have never made freezer meals with my other two pregnancies. My husband loves to cook, and does 90% of the cooking. I cook like maybe 2 nights a week, but you ladies are inspiring me to have at least a few freezer meals. My kids are so picky when it comes to eating dinner, I know my son would not eat any of these ideas, so I am going to prepare a few with just me and my hubby in mind! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFetus Ticker
  • @babyturtle22 I’ll post them today when i dig them out!
  • @babyturtle22 here ya go
    i just snapped a pic of the recipe cards but if you have trouble reading them let me know 

• dlbello23 said:
    I have never made freezer meals with my other two pregnancies. My husband loves to cook, and does 90% of the cooking. I cook like maybe 2 nights a week, but you ladies are inspiring me to have at least a few freezer meals. My kids are so picky when it comes to eating dinner, I know my son would not eat any of these ideas, so I am going to prepare a few with just me and my hubby in mind! 
    This is me also. We do make sure to have some easy meal options. 
  • I didn’t make any with my previous two either but I’m feeling inspired! 
  • Most soups are really easy to freeze! 
    Some of our favorites:
    Beef barley
    Chicken noodle (maybe add noodles when eating, they don't always freeze great)
    Chili
    Butternut squash

Since we are a hunting family we typically always have a freezer full of meat and fish. Ground meat is easy to store and can be made into several really easy meals. Here are a couple really easy ones we like to do:

Taco rice- cook up a packet of Spanish rice, a pound of ground meat seasoned to your liking, add shredded cheese and salsa, eat as is or with chips. Top with veggies

Bbq cups- cook a pound of ground meat, season with bbq flavors (or just bbq sauce). With crescent roll or biscuit dough, shape into cups and set in a muffin tin. Fill cups with the meat (or filling mixture) and cook following dough directions

Pasta: cook and season a pound of meat, add a jar of pasta sauce. Cook any type of pasta. Combine and serve.

*Think easy sides. This might be a time to figure out if you prefer frozen or canned veggies. Side salads are easy to put together. Cut up a bunch of fruit ahead of time.
  • I am the same way where I didn’t make any freezer meals last time. My husband gets 6 weeks off for baby bonding time so he will do our cooking. Now that we have so much time at home (thanks covid) I think I might snag some of these recipes and actually prep meals this time.
  • I made a bunch of freezer meals last time and found them more annoying to thaw and cook than just making quick meals on the night of! Maybe it will be different with a 4yo running around this time though...
    Rainbow Baby? {2.1.21}
    MC at 8 weeks {EDD 9.2.20}
    Rainbow Girl! {2.28.16}Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby boy, lost at 16 weeks {EDD 6.10.15}

• @babymamadino 6 weeks for hubby? THATS AWESOME. 
    Mine just got a new job like a month ago so he isn't allowed to take any paid time off for 6 months, so he can take time off but it will e unpaid so he is only going to take like a week max. Especially since my leave is unpaid as well. With a toddler around, I'm just gonna have my mom over a lot 
  • @PinkKathryn12 yes! They just started it in 2020 and we are so grateful! We don’t have any family nearby so it will so needed this time!

my friends husband works for Pfizer and they get 12 weeks off at 100% pay for mom and dad!! Super jealous of that.
  • @adorebel I was wondering the same thing! I never remember to thaw things before I'm hungry, but it probs wouldn't be too hard to get into the swing of things. I just feel like pouring canned beans, corn and some shredded cheese on a tray of chips will be a lil faster - although it will definitely contain less vegetables than some of the more well balanced meals in here :D 

• hah hah, we are on the same boat @hanfam2021. I do really feel you.