December 2020 Moms
Options

Pregnancy and postpartum during COVID-19

elmich3elmich3 member
edited November 2020 in December 2020 Moms
I apologize if this has already been discussed, but I was very interested in you ladies' input as we are all in the same boat. How are you all handling the holidays, staying healthy up to birth, and visitors after birth? 

I live in Michigan and we are just now being truly affected by this sickness as it's now spreading quickly and I personally know many people COVID positive. I've always been in the camp of 'not being fearful, but being wise and responsible'. But no matter what your stance on all of this, it's becoming much more real as I near the end of pregnancy trying to stay healthy whether it be COVID, a cold or the flu. 

I'm already getting eye rolls from my in laws and friends when I say I'm just kind of isolating now until the baby comes so I can keep the baby healthy. I went into labor early with my last child due to being sick, so I don't want to let that happen again. We will be restraining from holiday get-togethers this year and I already feel stressed that people judge me for it. Am I making the right choice? I just want to stay healthy. 

It's a wierd season of life and I'm questioning all my decisions lol So just curious how you all are handling it! 

Re: Pregnancy and postpartum during COVID-19

• Options
    I think this topic is very much on our minds.  We will start even more strictly quarantining soon.  We haven't been going out this whole time, but we will stop our interactions with our friend pod that we created.  We will be celebrating Thanksgiving with just the two of us and with our due date only days before Christmas, we will probably not be really celebrating that either. 

The more difficult part is trying to figure out family after he arrives.  We are restricting it to parents only, but are still working out the logistics of them quarantining before they come.  As new parents, we are just a little nervous about making this transition completely on our own and yet trying to balance the risk (with an relatively broad time for his arrival).  It was recommended that people quarantine for two weeks before coming, but that is very difficult with jobs and the holidays.  We are trying to come up with a couple plans based on different scenarios.  

Not sure if that helps any!  Most of our friends and family understand our quarantine situation and haven't been giving us too much grief about it.  (Granted we have only really seen maybe ten people since we got pregnant, so this isn't a surprise to any of them).  
  • Options
    @elmich3 I’ve been silent around here lately, but thought I’d mention my situation as it will make you not feel crazy! I have been home since March, really.. My immediate family’s only outside contact is my doctors appointments and we can count on one hand any other trips out- all done with masks and without contact. We a lso get all our food and anything else we need delivered. I can also tell you here are lots of other people like me! So to make the choice and be extra careful now is totally fine- and really in my opinion for the best. It’s not about fear, but protecting yourself and others in the best way you can. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @dobiemom11 @jchpg Thank you so much for your responses! That really did put me at ease that it's on others' minds and I'm not crazy lol I am due days after Christmas as well so we are starting our quarantining now and I know it will be for the best.

Yes, I am anxious about after he gets here as well. We don't have a huge social circle but even the small family on each side that we have, I'm very wary of having anyone over. It's so hard to make sure others are quarantining as well. I'm actually very excited we can't have visitors at the hospital so I don't have to be the bad guy lol. Even though I'm bummed my other two sons can't come. 

Thank you again for making me feel not so alone in these decisions! I appreciate it.
  • Options
    @elmich3. I am pretty excited that no one can come to the hospital.  Although I am sure I would love for family to meet him, I can easily imagine being totally overwhelmed.  I do think it is difficult for families with other children, but some hospitals don't allow children to visit during flu season even prior to Covid.

I think keeping your family safe and healthy is the most important thing and however you think that can be best accomplished is the right decision.  For us, having some help after delivery provides reassurance as new parents, but we want to do it safely.  
  • Options
    Both my husband and I are teaching remotely and have kept our other three kids home via remote school for the year.  We've decided that I will be delivering solo at the hospital so that we do not have to risk introducing anyone else's germs into the house.  
  • Options
    I'm due Dec. 2 so maybe that makes it a little different, but I've basically told everyone not to expect us for any holiday gatherings or much of anything in the interim. If we decide later we want to attend that's our choice based on circumstances, but my job is to keep my kids healthy and happy to the best of my ability and for now the best way to do that is away from other people. 

Our 2 older boys (4 & 2) have not been to a restaurant or store since March. We've had a handful of visits with closer family members but we are very vocal about risks and hazards before committing to anything.

Both of our boys were hospitalized shortly after birth (4-5 weeks) for illnesses beyond our control. Both times were scary and overwhelming and I want to do everything in my power to avoid that this time. Anyone who really knows us and cares understands. Anyone who thinks I'm being too protective obviously doesn't know us well enough for me to worry about their opinions or feelings.

Do what feels right for you and your nuclear family. No one elses feelings or opinions are worth taking risks you aren't comfortable with 💚
    image     image
  • Options
    @elmich3 I think you are absolutely making the right choice.  You can’t predict what will happen if you do all the family gatherings and don’t isolate, but going with your instincts is important.  They can eyeroll all they want but only YOU know what it feels like to be you and, especially as a pregnant woman it’s important to make yourself feel the best you can.  

I teach In person now, but after thanksgiving I Have told my admin that I need to quarantine until the due date.  There have been cases at my school, there will be family gatherings, family gatherings have been shown to be spreader events,  a lot do doctors recommend the quarantine.   I’m super anxious at work as it is so so I will be teaching “remote” (probably at school in a different room) for the last weeks before my due date.  

We will have thanksgiving with only DH’s mom and then mostly keep to ourselves except a few visits from our doula, then my mom is going to take the train in her own sleeper car early January to come visit.  
  • Options
    @mom_of_the_vogels I'm right there with you! I have two boys 1 and 3 as they've both been hospitalized multiple times after birth with RSV and other illnesses and that has made me such a protective mom from the get go. I know how scary things can get so I'd always rather be on the safe side. I've had two pretty traumatic birth experiences so we just want this one to go well.

@autumn87654321 Thank you! I really hope you stay healthy during your last times teaching in person and get to relax while quarantining!