June 2021 Moms

Product Spotlight 11/2: Maternity Clothes and Pillows

edited November 2020 in June 2021 Moms
Hello all! Let's discuss some essentials like maternity clothes and maternity pillows to help us sleep as our bodies and bellies grow. I know we discussed a bit last week but we can go more in depth here. 

Brands you love? Shopping hacks? Tips for strategizing different outfit coordinations? Questions about timing your maternity clothes purchases? How about questions or advice to accommodate different body types? Work-wear vs. formal-wear vs. workout clothes? As for pillows, J-shaped vs. U-shaped? Tips on avoiding maternity pillow purchase and instead constructing elaborate forts with regular pillows? Please share!

Prior and upcoming product spotlights

*Live, Love, Laugh, Learn*

Re: Product Spotlight 11/2: Maternity Clothes and Pillows

• Pillows: Skip the expensive pregnancy pillows and get two regular body pillows. That way you can flip back and forth easily and have back and tummy support. I used the J-shapped pregnancy pillow with my first and ended up having to sleep with an extra at my head and one for my belly.

Maternity clothes: Not many places around here sell maternity clothes in store, so I mainly shop Ross and Target. I got a lot of Old Navy clothes with my first pregnancy and none of them lasted, so I don't buy that brand any more. Motherhood Maternity is very durable, but you do have to buy online as most of their stores closed last year.
  • I definitely recommend the Snoogle. I haven't needed mine yet, but am excited to wrestle it back from my dog - she's used it as part of her bed for a couple years now. I'm sure it smells just awesome. 

Clothes... the best maternity jeans I've found are from Jessica Simpson - they just stay up way better than some of the other brands I've tried. I purchased some stuff from Pink Blush a few years ago during my first pregnancy - pretty hit or miss. The dresses were ok... pants never worked for me and felt really cheap. Tops were meh. I think the best stuff I've found for the price has been at Target, honestly. I just kinda live in long skirts, tank tops, and jeans when I'm pregnant. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I have a U shaped pregnancy pillow and it is awesome. That way I can turn without having to move anything and readjust. 

I’m abroad so for me any maternity clothes is H&M and seraphine. I splurged on good jeans and then just a couple shirts. But mostly I wore my own tops/dresses almost the entire time. Lululemon aligns as discussed last week are also a staple. H&M nursing tanks are both great for pregnancy and for nursing. I still wear 1 daily! 

*Live, Love, Laugh, Learn*

• Ive always enjoyed a pregnancy body pillow. This is the one I just recently purchased and so far I LOVE IT.https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KIQH2VU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As for maternity clothes, I live in leggings while pregnant. I WFH right now due to the pandemic but my office attire is casual so leggings and jeans are acceptable. Old Navy and Target have great maternity wear at cheap prices but mostly I just size up what I normally wear. 
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Waited a long time, tried a lot of stuff, science made me a mom.
     Loss and IF veteran. Current mom of DS 5.5, DD 2, and sometimes DH 40. Due June 2021 with TWINS
  • - pregnancy pillow: I got the U shaped one and it was great but when I was really huge, I like just having a ton of regular pillows and got rid of the pregnancy pillow

- underwear: you don’t need special underwear but I loved these under the bump ones. I hate anything touching my blump/bump. Especially being all gassy 🥴
    https://www.amazon.com/Intimate-Portal-Maternity-Pregnancy-Underwear/dp/B072B8X4G2/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=under+the+belly+panties&qid=1604356054&sr=8-5

- leggings: Obvi my Align Lululemon, but I also live in these. They’re so soft and so cheap. 

- shirts: I loved these. Only got to rock em for like a week bc my baby was early though 😣 Not really nursing friendly though
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07G8WHS4S?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

- cotton overalls: just bought these! So friggin cute and comfy!!
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B087H216DT?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

- and def grab some comfy maternity bras. My boobs got HUGE really fast. 

• +1 for the snoogle! 

I also am a +1 for the Jessica Simpson jeans. 
    I bought a lot of stuff from old navy and motherhood in the past but all the maternity wear stores closed around me so I need to go strictly online now which is irritating. 
  • I did a lot of Old navy shopping. I also found stuff at local thrift stores for my first pregnancy. It was a lot cheaper. Secretly hoping I stay on an every other day schedule for work, so I can buy less maternity stuff. 
    ~~Signature~~
    Me: 36, DH: 38, Together since: 2006, Married: 9/2011 
    **TW Living Child**

BFP 9/19/20 - EDD - 6/1/21

BFP 2/2014 - DS - 10/2014

• Maternity options are slim here. I loved Thyme Maternity last pregnancy, especially for office wear, but they closed down a few months ago. I think as some other people said, I bought some Old Navy and it was fine, but it did not last long.

My SILs are the same size so we tend to share some of our more expensive pieces, like dresses and nicer jeans. We were all pregnant in the winter though so summer maternity clothes will be new to me!

I was SWEATING in December/January last time, so I can just imagine the puddle of sweat I am going to be lol  :D
  • I never used a pregnancy pillow.  H bought me one but I couldn't get comfortable with it.  We still have it so I will give it another shot at some point.

I loved Old Navy mat tank tops and skirts my first pregnancy - it was my uniform.  I had some nicer tops that I got from motherhood maternity and seraphina when I had to go to an office everyday.  After the new year I'm going to go through my bin in storage of all my maternity clothes and I'm looking forward to that.  

I had a pair of 7s jeans that I really liked but I may try Jessica Simpson this time around.  Late in my pregnancy when the bump was at it prime I didn't like how the elastic would slip down.  Plus it was August so I was mostly wearing skirts and dresses.  

I found a lot of cute stuff on Thred Up which is great for online consignment.  
    History and blog link in spoiler
    2016 - dx with super low ovarian reserve; failed cycle with clomid, failed IUI, 
    2017 - egg retrieval #1 - 3 eggs, 0 embryos appropriate for transfer; ER #2 2 eggs, 0 embryos on day 3; ER #3 1 egg 0 embryos
    moved to donor egg in summer 2017; 35 eggs retrieved; 19 fertilized; 9 total embryos
    Fresh transfer Dec 2017= BFP!  baby boy born 8/22/18

May 2019 - surprise natural pregnancy ended in MC
    Nov 2019 FET; MC at 9 weeks
    May 2020 FET; BFN
    July 2020 FET; CP treated with methotrexate
    Oct 2020 BFP! 

Take a look at my blog

• Has anyone tried the maternity leggings from Fabletics? 

I have a ton of maternity tank tops from ON and Gap. I have a few super soft ones from Gap I can't wait to wear again. I always layered them with cardigans (previous oct and Jan babies) so glad to have them now for June. 
  • I love old navy tanks too! I started wearing them for nursing and I’m wear them every night still! 
  • emwj10187emwj10187 member
    edited November 2020
    I’m here to talk about my hate for maternity jeans. Especially the new style of target jeans. Wtf is up with the low elastic in back? Does not irk for me! First of all they don’t stay up. I’ve sized up, I’ve sized down. But no maTter what, I end up with saggy crotch and they are the hottest (temperature wise) pants I’ve owned. I’m 10 weeks with #2 and finding my regular jeans are getting so tight they are too uncomfortable to wear. Desperate for comfortable and cute maternity jeans.

Which brings me to: what is your favorite brand of maternity jeans? Particularly my curvier ladies. I have thick legs and larger hips. 
    \

• emwj10187emwj10187 member
    edited November 2020
    After my post I went browsing on pink blush - offering 25% off and free shipping today! I’m going to give their jeans a try and report back

https://www.pinkblushmaternity.com/   Coupon code: NEWOOTD
    \

• @emwj10187 I love J Brand maternity jeans. I invested in those last pregnancy and wore them to death. Look brand new. So comfy too.
  • @it_is_a_baby thanks! I’ll check them out.
    \

• I love the Boppy pregnancy pillow! I bought it with my first pregnancy in 2011! Must to my husbands dismay, I sleep with it even when not pregnant 🤣 it’s sooo flat now so I may have to buy a new one this pregnancy because I don’t think it’ll help much when I’m bigger. What I like about it is it’s not as puffy/hard as other pregnancy pillows!

I have a pair of gap maternity jeans that I’ve used in all my pregnancies and love them. I have to have the large over the belly band to feel comfortable. But I mainly live in leggings. I also love pretty much anything from motherhood. Target was hit or miss for me in my last couple pregnancies, but those were in 2015 and 2016/7, and their stuff looks a bit better now! 
    Trying to Conceive TickerMe: 41 DH: 42
    💙 DS1- 12/2011
    CP - March 2014
    MMC - Sept 2014
    💙DS2 - 10/2015
    💙DS3 - 5/2017
    💖DD due June 6, 2021
  • I have a pair of motherhood jeans that I like and look forward to wearing again, but I don’t like their leggings. 

Has anyone tried Kohl’s maternity? I remember seeing a maternity section there, wondering about fit/quality. 

All the stores around me have quit carrying maternity in store, even Target, so I need to go shopping online and hate buying clothes online. 
  • sgrn18sgrn18 member
    edited November 2020
    Target maternity jeans just do not stay up on me at all. I even got a smaller size and still slips down while walking.  

I got the Boppy wedge pillow for my last pregnancy and used that with a body pillow.  I loved that but I may upgrade this time lol all these pillows on Amazon look so comfy but MH will hate them 😂 

eta spelling 
  • @emwj10187 Thanks for asking this! I also have larger thighs/butt/hips. So far I've been making do with my normal jeans and a belly band/extender, which especially works in the fall/winter with longer tops and sweaters. 
  • I'm a Facebook Marketplace stalker and there are tons of pregnancy pillows on there. I'm assuming you can throw the whole thing in the wash, so would be comfortable buying used. Thinking of buying one used so if I don't like it I haven't sunk a bunch of cash into it.

@ramzlau I feel you on hating buying clothes online. I'm different sizes in different brands and how do I know how it fits? Sending things back is a pain if they don't fit.
    My maternity wardrobe is a joke. Last pregnancy I literally wore my husband's clothes (do not recommend). I'm WFH for the extended future, so hoping I can get away with some stretchy things. I love buying used (see above) but have not had great success finding maternity things at thrift stores. There is a secondhand kid retail shop Kid to Kid in my area that sells Maternity Clothes, maybe I'll try that to see if I can get a variety of brands to try.
  • I have a u shaped pregnancy pillow and I love it! It’s ginormous, though. When we had a queen size bed my poor husband had basically no space. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @emwj10187 curvy girl here. For my last pregnancy, I had a few pairs of Old Navy maternity jeans that I really likes. I had the low elastic kind. I wear Old Navy Jeans usually, though not since they did away with their curvy style. Old Navy Jeans aren't too expensive either, especially if you have a discount coupon.

~~Signature~~
    **TW Living Child**

• @it_is_a_baby I loved my J Brand ones! Also splurged on some Paige ones last time which I also liked
  • @kaw726 I love Paige jeans! I have a couple of non-maternity Paige jeans that I wear all the time.
  • I just googled Paige maternity jeans cause I have never heard of them before and good God are they ever expensive!! 😲 Holy crap. I dont spend that much on a normal pair of jeans for myself on a good day not being pregnant 😆 
  • I just bought two pairs of old navy maternity leggings because I had some old navy super cash to use. Anyway, they came in and I must say they are amazing. Very flattering, comfy over the belly (uh hem, bloat) and not see through at all. I really wasn’t expecting them to be so great so thought I would pass them along!

https://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=397313012&rrec=true&mlink=5050,12413545,onproduct2_rr_2&clink=12413545#pdp-page-content
    Trying to Conceive TickerMe: 41 DH: 42
    💙 DS1- 12/2011
    CP - March 2014
    MMC - Sept 2014
    💙DS2 - 10/2015
    💙DS3 - 5/2017
    💖DD due June 6, 2021
  • @mamakate2011 I will definitely keep in mind! I have super cash to use up in December! 

~~Signature~~
    **TW Living Child**

• I just threw my Snoogle in the wash. It has been around the block and to the hospital, so was grossing me out. Instructions say wash cover only. Am I ruining it by washing the pillow? Anyone try it before? 
  • @ramzlau don't have the snoggle but have a similarly shaped one that I wash. I just make sure to put it in the dryer on the heavy duty cycle and put a clean tennis ball in to fluff it up. I washed it several times my last pregnancy that way and it held up. 
  • Maternity clothes: Last pregnancy I wore my regular clothes for way to long but when I finally bought some I went to motherhood maternity and target. I got a pair (or two) of jeans from motherhood maternity that I really liked. I mostly just lived in lularoe black leggings.

Pillows: I have the Boppy wedge, it’s ok.
    Me: 38, DH: 37
    Married: 8/10/13
    BFP- 12/18/15, D&E- 4/8/16 @ 21w5d- confirmed Thanatophoric Dysplasia
    BFP- 11/7/17, M/C- 11/18/17 @ 4w6d
    BFP- 8/25/18 ~ EDD- 5/9/19 ~ DD born 5/2/20 *Lillian Hazel*
    BFP- 10/9/20 ~ EDD- 6/21/21