December 2020 Moms

Holidays: Halloween

Just curious if/how everyone is planning to celebrate Halloween, especially with young kids. 

With 4yo and 2yo they are young enough that I know they won't really notice if we skip it but the idea of doing nothing is bringing on the Mom Guilt. We're only a couple weeks away and I have no real costume plans and the best I can come up with is a Halloween candy hunt in the yard instead of Trick or Treating. We technically could go ToT, probably with cousins, but the idea of going door to door and bringing home a bunch of potentially contaminated food products is a bit too much for my anxiety.
image     image

Re: Holidays: Halloween

• I was just talking about this with my hubby. I think we will do costumes of some sort and a candy hunt in our yard. Then we always have driven to our close family all of whom we have been seeing for the past couple months (DH works with his dad every day) and will likely do that but no neighbours this year. 
  • Just curious as someone who doesn't have kids but lives in a neighborhood of many kids...would it be bad for me to drop off some bags of mixed candy to the houses that I know?  It feels weird not to do anything, but I also don't want a bunch of people coming to the house trick or treating.  I could even leave it in their mailbox, so less contact (as long as it wasn't chocolate and melted).  I am also trying to think ahead to the other holidays and doing something similar for that.  
  • Loading the player...
  • It’s just us and the cats right now, so we’re likely not doing much for Halloween. We live in an apartment complex and I don’t know if kids here go to the apartments (we moved in just before last Christmas). We’ll probably have a movie marathon or something. 
    Me: 36 | DH: 35 | Married: 9.17.16
    Diminished ovarian reserve
    BFP: 4/14/2020 EDD: 12/20/2020
  • @dobiemom11 I think it depends on how friendly you are with your neighbors. I have some where that would be a nice surprise and others where it would seem a little weird. 

I've heard of people getting creative with passing out candy ideas. One idea was to take candy to kebab skewers and plant them in the yard for kids to just grab one. Sounds great, but I have boys so...sword fights. Another person has a couple steps with a handrail and made a candy slide tube to send candy down so there is always about 6 feet of distance. Or the classic candy bowl on the porch.
    image     image
  • We are going trick or treating as usual.  I'm assuming they'll be less houses giving out candy though. In our town if the porch light is off ther're n giving our candy.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    older siblings: ds 16 dd 14 ds 13 dd 11 dd 7 
  • Most likely we'll be trick or treating.  Our town has no plans  I'd guess most houses will be doing bowls outside or some sort of candy chute.  I'm not sure what we'll do yet in terms of handing out candy.

If we skip my DS would totally know.  He's almost 4 and we have a ton of kids in our neighborhood.  He'll be able to see them all wandering the streets in costumes.  Our town has the trick or treating hours posted and so far there are no talks of canceling.  Not that we'll let him dictate what we do - but I feel like it's relatively low risk as an outdoor activity as long as there is social distancing.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Me: 34 DH: 36
    Married 10/15/11
    M/C October 2014
    BFP #2 4/3/16  EDD 12/8/16  DS 11/19/16

• DD is only 14mos and thankfully doesn't know what she's missing.  I'm going to get her a costume in case daycare does any festivities, but that'll be it for us. I also have to work on that Saturday (boooo  :s) so daytime events are probably out unless DH feels up to a solo venture.  
  • @dobiemom11 Around here, they are recommending that you put out a folding table with individually wrapped bags of candy so kids aren’t all putting their hands in the same treat bucket on your porch, but I don’t know if we’ll do that since our own kids aren’t participating and there aren’t many kids in our neighborhood. We might just keep our porch light off. We usually go to my in laws because there are a ton of kids and decorations. This year I think they’ll come to us and we’ll do a candy hunt in our backyard with costumes, eat hot dog mummies and watch Hotel Transylvania. I might also do popcorn and candy corn in gloves to look like hands as a treat during the movie.
  • @readermom1. I was thinking if I dropped candy off ahead of time, then people don't even have to come by.  I was going to give it to the parents, so they can re-sanitize it or look for food allergies before giving it to the kiddos.  I also saw that Hershey was making Halloween chocolate houses, so I could give the families each a kit and they could do it as a family.  I will keep thinking on it.  
  • @dobiemom11 That’s a really cute idea! I may have to steal it!
  • I don’t know if we are going to trick or treat this year besides family houses. I do plan to his candy in little pumpkins around the house similar to an Easter egg hunt but Halloween style!
    DS born 2016
  • @mom_of_the_vogels I don’t have kids and work all the time. So not much for me.  But I am an art teacher and will be doing some Halloween like art projects with my students 
    im doing something like this (but with construction paper) with my kindergarten students this week. It could work for younger kids too If you have the parts cut and ready for glue 
  • We ended up doing a candy hunt and bonfire last night with 2 of my sisters (which meant a few cousins came over) and the kids had a blast. We spent almost the whole time outside. It was chilly but everyone was bundled and the kids never stopped moving. 

Everyone left right around bedtime and we had multiple kids crying because they didn't want to leave each other, which is obviously sad but made me feel better about doing something to celebrate Halloween.

Also, really glad we squeezed it in last night because all of the cousins are trick or treating tonight so this way we avoid whatever extra germs they may be bringing home.
    image     image
  • We went trick or treating it was great.  We're got to see people we hadn't seen in months,  everyone had creative ways to give out the candy,  using tubes,  baggies on tables,  long grabby hands etc. less houses participated this year,  but the kids had a great time and family groups were careful about staying spread apart on the sidewalks.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
    older siblings: ds 16 dd 14 ds 13 dd 11 dd 7