1st Trimester

Emotional sensitivity

I am 5 weeks pregnant, super early I know. However, I’m not a person that deals with change well and I am absolutely stressing about all of the changes to come. How do I let my friends and family know about my sensitivity to the changes to they know that certain “just wait” comments or “soon enough” comments aren’t welcome. This is a body I have had for 29 years and I’m already on edge about work- and when my husband and I started trying to get pregnant, I was NOT expecting it to happen the first try. Is anyone else in the same boat?! I’m having a lot of anxiety right now so please be kind! 

Re: Emotional sensitivity

• mperkow6 said:
    I am 5 weeks pregnant, super early I know. However, I’m not a person that deals with change well and I am absolutely stressing about all of the changes to come. How do I let my friends and family know about my sensitivity to the changes to they know that certain “just wait” comments or “soon enough” comments aren’t welcome. This is a body I have had for 29 years and I’m already on edge about work- and when my husband and I started trying to get pregnant, I was NOT expecting it to happen the first try. Is anyone else in the same boat?! I’m having a lot of anxiety right now so please be kind! 
    If someone says anything, just say, "I'm well aware, thank you very much" and change topics.  If they continue on, just say "I would rather talk about something else." Unfortunately,  the comments will come about the hips, sex after pregnancy, books after breastfeeding, varicose veins never going away,  etc.  

It sucjs, unfortunately though its a natural occurrence when it comes time to having kids.  

If your anxiety is this high already, I highly suggest talking to your doctor, see a therapist, do something to try and funnel it.  
  • I wish I could give you advice but honestly, the comments are going to come. It’s not about people asking but how you respond to it. If you’re feeling anxious, seek help from your doctor and go talk to a counselor, etc. Lots of changing is coming and maybe the more your read about it yourself, the better prepared you’ll feel. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Maybe you shouldn’t tell anyone until you have taken time to process the news yourself.

When someone makes an unwelcome comment you could just say, “Yeah, so anyway, have you heard about XYZ?”