Trouble TTC

TI with Letrozole+trigger shot+progesterone PCOS experiences?

We just started our third TI cycle with Letrozole, a trigger shot, and progesterone suppositories and I am wondering if anyone else with PCOS on here has followed this path. This is our last one before RE moves us on to IUI and I'm a bit nervous if we have to move on. My HSG and SIS was super painful from the start and I'm worried that might happen again. I can't find much in the way of stats with this protocol either. Any tips or shared experiences appreciated!

Re: TI with Letrozole+trigger shot+progesterone PCOS experiences?

• Hey @hwhite512! Sorry you have to be here, but welcome! I have PCOS and followed that protocol before going onto IUI and I am now in the middle of my second IVF cycle. Obviously the protocol didn't work for me but it does for lots and lots of people with PCOS. Do not get discouraged! I think PCOS is such a broad diagnosis that you see varying outcomes... 

On the HSG and SIS I hear you.. I had a similar experience. I would say that the IUIs were WAY more managable. The procedure was slightly uncomfortable but nothing compared to the SIS and HSG. I did have some cramping in the afternoon but nothing worse than my normal period. I went back to work same day for all three of my IUIs, no problem. Hope that helps! Let me know if there is any other questions I can help with! 
  • Thank you!

I'm really happy to hear the IUI was better. I know when my dr started the HSG and SIS (I had them done at the same time) she said my cervix was pretty closed. I heard that since it's more open during ovulation, it's not as bad. Also probably better that they're not filling you with saline and clipping stuff lol.

I'm on CD 12 and go in tomorrow am to see if I'm ready for trigger shot. Fingers crossed third times the charm.

Good luck with your IVF; Sending baby dust and good vibes!
  • Loading the player...
  • @hwhite512 haha yes, no saline is a big upside. Were you able to trigger? Fingers crossed this does the trick! 
  • @nina205 apparently my body ovulated on it's own this cycle. I go in tomorrow for the Beta. I took a HPT this am and got a BFN so I'm not feeling too optimistic. Just starting to plan the IUI stuff. Playing the "let's figure out dates" game.

How is your IVF going?
  • @hwhite512 I am sorry to hear about the BFN. Did the beta confirm? Any luck on figuring out the IUI dates? Outside of treatments/procedures any fun fall plans?

AFM I am still in a holding pattern on the IVF. Currently on birth control, I am supposed to start stimming on the 22nd of November. So just in that weird in-between period, but nice to take a break to be honest. 
  • @nina205 beta confirmed BFN so we will start IUI cycle as soon as AF shows up. I'm still nervous, but at least I know it'll be a quick procedure. Our plans include raking lots and lots of leaves, carving some pumpkins with the neices and nephews, and watching UFC fight night (DH says it counts as date night lol). How about you?

Are you just PCOS or did you have other factors too? The break must feel like calm before the storm for you at this point. I know I appreciate the break between cycles physically, but mentally it leaves a lot of "what if" room. Hope you're keeping sane and enjoying the lack of side effects for a bit!

• @hwhite512 I am sorry to hear that it's officially a BFN this month. I know moving to IUI is intimidating and emotional, for me it was hard to move to a phase where I knew we wouldn't be conceiving at home. Sounds super weird, but for me that was emotional. I also totally hear you on the procedure itself, I was super nervous. Hopefully you have the same experience I did where the IUI was nothing compared to the HSG. FUN on the pumpkins and UFC fight night! We are a big football house so I often get "football is date night" haha. 

So yes and no on our diagnosis. If you asked my doctor our only diagnosis is PCOS, but my husband has a super high sperm count yet super low morphology. My doctor insists that it is not a problem because if you do the math he has more normal sperm than a "healthy" male so idk. I still think its a factor. Also during our first round of IVF we saw an increased "fall off' of our embryos from day 4 to day 6. Our maturation, fertilization and day 4 reports were all super text book/above normal. My doctor again says that they dont know alot as to why this happens in couples, but again I think there might be an egg or sperm quality issue. Yes, so nice to be off the side effects for a little bit.. The monthly ins and outs of medicated cycles/IUIs can be tough. While IVF is a different level of stress, I am very thankful for the little breaks between cycles.
  • I definitely felt the emotions this time.

I'm on cd7 last day of letrozole. This time they have me going in earlier since I ovulated early last cycle. My RE assured me the iui wouldn't hurt so that helped calm me a bit. 

That's very interesting about your DHs SA. Our RE just said to have my husband drink lots of water and take a daily multivitamin since his numbers were "normal"(As we stuff ourselves with meds). I'm guessing iui will happen this week.

I always say I'm lucky my husband is only into one sport after growing up with a dad who loves all sports all year long lol. It's also kinda nice that quarantine has given us a good excuse to stay home on rest days too. Sending baby dust and good vibes!