January 2021 Moms
Options

*~*~*Holiday Plans Thread*~*~*

Some of us talked a bit about holiday plans this (extra special :scream: ) year last week and someone mentioned maybe a thread would be good to discuss how we're all approaching it! What are you doing this year for Halloween/Thanksgiving/Christmas/Hanukkah/etc/what did our Canadians do for Canadian Thanksgiving?

Re: *~*~*Holiday Plans Thread*~*~*

• Options
    Our current plan is... Thanksgiving at my parent's house which is about a 5.5 hour drive away with my parents and my brother, SIL, and nephew. My side of the family has been very Covid cautious so I feel decently okay with this and DD hasn't seen her cousin since last Christmas.

Christmas with DH's family one weekend in early December. This makes me somewhat nervous but DH's brother will be coming in from DC and they haven't seen each other since before DH deployed (so May 2019) and I know this has been hard on both of them. We won't be going anywhere for awhile with the new baby so this may be the last opportunity for awhile. Actual Christmas we're staying put. I've invited my parents if they would like to come but they'll be coming back a few weeks afterwards to watch DD while we have baby so I don't know if they'll want to make the trip twice. 

Obviously we'll change any or all of these plans if the risk increased or if my OB cautioned against it. 
    Me: 36 DH:41
    DD born 1/3/2019
    EDD for #2 1/28/2021
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Halloween: Setting out a table at the end of the driveway with individually bagged treats. My daughter is 2 and I wouldn't take her out anyway; figure 3 years old would be a better year. 

Thanksgiving/Hanukkah/Christmas: Staying home; my husband's family has been isolating and they plan on continuing that until a vaccine is available. I won't be seeing my family either; I see lots of Zoom calls in my future.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I always host Thanksgiving, and it’s my favorite holiday. I plan on hosting again this year. Attendees will include my parents, siblings and their families - all of which we have been seeing regularly through this. 

Christmas is so up in the air. The baby is measuring almost 80%, my oldest tracked just about where he is (a little smaller) and was born at 39 weeks. I will be 38+6 on Christmas, so I very well could be in the hospital 🤷‍♀️. I usually host Christmas Eve and my mom Christmas Day, but that whole weekend is just a bit up in the air. For the most part, holidays as usual around here though. All of our extended family is 2k miles away so it’s just our bubble. 

BFP #1 November 28, 2013 E Born August 3, 2014
  • Options
    Halloween: DD2 is getting her tonsils out today so we'll really have to play it by ear. I wanted to grill out and have some covid safe friends stop by for outside fall fun but it sounds like too much. We might go to my sister's to eat candy and hang out. She said she would set up stuffed animals and candy around her house for trick or treating 🤣

Thanksgiving: we were going to drive to my family's 4 hours away. I don't think the ride will be comfortable and my parents current place is tiny and I don't really want to hang out with excited 6 family and chance catching ANYTHING, like even a cold would be miserable. DHs family is local and being smart about covid so we might go there or have my sister over 🤷🏻‍♀️

Christmas: omg this seems so far away 🤣 Christmas day will be with DHs immediate family. Maybe we'll have my sister and BIL over for Christmas Eve.

My parents will likely visit at some point, and if ANYONE even has so much as a sniffle I have zero interest in seeing them. I caught "just a cold" from my neices last pregnancy and it was sooooo awful. It lasted weeks and I even had to take off work to sleep it off for two days. Our girls are in a smaller daycare and with all the covid precautions I'm hoping we all stay healthy. I don't need to worry about additional germs
  • Options
    @HappyFeet34 as someone who has gone overdue twice I can't even imagine having to prepare early! I hope you can enjoy some of Christmas 🎄
  • Options
    Not gonna lie, a bit jealous of all you ladies who are planning to hang w fam over the holidays. My family is one of those completely paranoid and closed off by the pandemic, mostly bc many are at risk. Even my mom is refusing to see me for the holidays. And my SO's fam is too far away (plus, we were just staying with them for the last 4 months). At least my sister and her SO are arranging with us to have an early Thanksgiving the weekend before (as she goes to his family's for the holiday). Maybe we'll hang somewhere close to xmas as well, but otherwise, I don't anticipate seeing my or SO's family for either holidays, which is so strange. But, due to covid, we have many other friends in the same boat, so I foresee friendsgiving and friendsxmas. 

@HappyFeet34 yikes to your possible xmas baby! I'm also slightly nervous with a Jan 5 due date; but FTM so no idea what will happen. 
  • Options
    Nothing for Halloween, for Thanksgiving we'll just be the two of us and have just been assuming that for a while since we don't have family super nearby and it felt like too much to try to arrange with the pregnancy on top of everything. We're going to make whatever foods we want (including lasagna instead of turkey - I love Thanksgiving but turkey isn't my fave) and just chill, then rent an Airbnb cabin an hour away in the woods for the weekend as a tiny babymoon/honeymoon kind of (unless there's an outbreak in the area/shelter in place order then). I do have some immediate family gathering in Chicago, but they've all seen each other a few times and are in each other's circle and there wasn't any expectation that we would join.

For Xmas my parents will have just moved to our city, they're arriving a couple weeks before. I'm thinking they'll probably quarantine and get tested and we'll do something low-key with them since they'll be literally around the corner from us. 
  • Options
    We are doing Halloween at home. Still doing costumes, but doing a candy hunt around the house instead of trick-or-treating, themed foods for dinner, watching Nightmare Before Christmas.

Thanksgiving my husband always has to work. The kids and I usually go to my parents house to watch the Macy’s Parade and have a turkey lunch. However, my parents are being absolute idiots about not wearing masks or distancing at all. We haven’t seen them in person for a long time now. Just our little family has our turkey dinner on Black Friday when my husband is off and we can spend all day together.

No idea what’ll be happening by Christmas. Our state (Ohio) is currently posting its biggest positive numbers day after day. Our county is especially bad. We are back in full isolation other than my husband going to work.
  • Options
    Halloween I think we're going to paint pumpkins during the day at a friend's house but we'll be all outside and spaced out.

I'm not sure about Thanksgiving and Christmas. Things seem to be getting worse in our area and then I'm obviously moving into my 3rd trimester so I'm just not sure. My ILs are more than okay with just skipping holidays this year. They're older and I think worried about being around me. My sister's family is super safe. My parents are pretty good. They wear their masks but they see more people than I would like.
  • Options
    @lavenderclouds and @jumpy57 my youngest went at 40+3 so I’m all over the place. But I feel pretty confident comparing all three pregnancies I probably won’t make it to January. Really really hoping for after Christmas though. 

BFP #1 November 28, 2013 E Born August 3, 2014
  • Options
    Halloween is just us and the kids. We’re hiding candy around the house/yard for them to find instead of trick of treating. DS is only 17 months so I probably wouldn’t have taken him trick or treating this year anyway but DD is 5 and is pretty bummed about it. 

Thanksgiving will probably also just be us. Our state is experiencing a huge surge in cases right now and a lot are in our county. Maybe we’ll see my mom but not really sure. 

Christmas is a huge question mark. I get my cerclage removed 12/18 and once its out, we’re kind of just on baby watch. It will likely just be us and maybe my mom will come and watch the kids open presents. Its sad but I figure its one year and its not really worth the risk. 
  • Options
    hp242hp242 member
    edited October 2020
    Canadian Thanksgiving: We did outdoor distanced lunch at my in-laws while we were up at our cottage (they live in the town our cottage is in).

Halloween: Going dark decorations wise and watching a Harry Potter marathon.  Normally our house is one of the most decorated on the street so I'm pretty sad about not doing anything this year.

Christmas: Would only be with DH's on a normal year - not going because too much snow at the cottage and they aren't taking any COVID precautions.  We virtually drew names for the gift swap, so we're dropping ours off when we're up there in a few weeks.  Maybe zoom calls the day of? But I assume everyone else (extended family so 20+ people) will be there so maybe not?  My mom has joked about making DH a turkey/stuffing since he's missing his family dinner so maybe that will happen.

Hanukkah: We'll probably be at my parents house.  We've been bubbled with them this whole time, so no reason to stop now.  My sister is talking about pulling her son out of school early so they can isolate for 14 days and then come see us.  We've only seen them in person once since March , in the middle of the summer outside and when he's back in school we will go back to not seeing them so this is the last chance for awhile.