May 2021 Moms

Product Spotlight: Diapering

Hi all! It may seem early to start making particular plans about how to deal with baby diapering, but we have a lot of baby topics to cover in the next 7ish months and we want to give each topic its space so... DIAPERING!

Those of you who went the disposable path, do you have any favorite brands? Those of you who went the cloth diapering path, do you have any favorite brands, methods, techniques? Tips on diaper washing if using cloth?

What are people's favorite wipes? How do you store wipes, and do you use a wipe-warmer? What do you stock in case of diaper rash? 

How do you dispose of dirty diapers: do you have a favorite diaper pail? A service that comes to pick up cloth diapers?

And how about your diapering set-up at home: do you have cute diaper caddies you want to recommend or are you comfortable throwing a towel on any surface? Diapering set-up on the road: what do you stash in your diaper bag specifically for diapering purposes?

Or does all of this give you a headache and you prefer to go back to our roots and let your children run naked in the woods and practice free elimination?

Please share!

Prior and Upcoming Product Spotlights

Re: Product Spotlight: Diapering

• We use the Kirkland brand diapers and wipes. I've always loved their wipes, but we used to use Huggies diapers because someone told me anything off brand falls apart. During the shortages in March we couldn't get Huggies, so we grabbed a box of Kirkland, and they are the exact same except for the design. Since then a friend told me that's she's heard they are made in the same factory.
    We use the dekor diaper pail which works well. It uses special bags which are a little tricky to get the hand of, but I did eventually.
    I change their diaper anywhere I happen to catch them. Often on my lap (which a friend recently told me is a sure sign of a veteran mom). For changing on the go, I use disposable underpads, they're great because they hold up well so you can get a few changes out of them, but if there is leakage you don't feel bad tossing them.
    For diaper rashes I use Desitin at home, and diaper rash spray for on the go.
  • We like the Comforts Brand Diaper and Wipes from Kroger (RalphsDillons, Smith's, King Soopers, Fry's, QFC, City Market, Owen's, Jay C, Pay Less, Baker's, Gerbes, Harris Teeter, Pick 'n Save, Copps, Metro Market, Mariano's, Fred Meyer, Food 4 Less and Foods Co.). They're easy to get bc that's where we grocery shop and they're frequently on sale. I've been a fan of Walmart diapers in the past, but they don't work well on my youngest because he's got a round belly, no hips and thinner legs, so they were leaking.  

We just bag up stinky diapers in dog poop bags in throw them in a bin in our backyard and then toss them weekly with our trash pick up.  Diapers pails, imo, make the room smell like poop.

Diaper rashes, it depends.  I like making my own with desitin, A&D ointment, and triple antibiotic ointment. 

I am a minimalist when it comes to diaper bags, etc.  Diapers, wipes, diaper cream.  I'm not a germaphobe, so unless a surface looks gag-worthy, I'll change my kid there.
    *Loss 8/2014*
    *Rainbow 8/2015*
    *Expected Rainbows 12/2018*
    *Loss of Twin 5/2018*

• Loading the player...
  • We did Babyganics diapers for the newborn stage. Then switched to cloth which I loved. We have a mix of BumGenius AIOs and Alva pockets. Just used a normal diaper pail with washable liners and washed every 3-4 days. 

He only had one diaper rash ever, I think we just used Burt's Bees cream for it. 
  • @skilledsailor I really like babyganics diapers
    *Loss 8/2014*
    *Rainbow 8/2015*
    *Loss of Twin 5/2018*

• We tried a lot of brands and ended up sticking with pampers swaddlers. We had definite issues with diaper rash if I used anything even slightly scented, and pampers swaddlers were unscented and sensitive enough for us without having to buy extra special “sensitive” diapers.
    Also we have a Dekor diaper pail and I honestly had no issues with smell until we got to the toddler stage 😂 
  • For newborns and young babies I preferred Pampers Swaddlers to everything else we tried. As he got older, I was a bit less picky and now we usually use the Huggies little movers because they usually are a good price at Costco. 

Wipes we have always used seventh generation.

Diaper pail we use the Diaper Geenie. However, we always over stuff it and are on #3 already in just over two years 🤦🏼‍♀️. 

I also didn't know we needed overnight diapers when he started sleeping through the night around 3 months. He was constantly peeing through diapers until we bought some. I also recommend sizing up in night time diapers to avoid leaks.
    Me:29 DH:30
    Married:10/2012
    TTC #1: 12/2017
  • Ohhhh I have so much opinion on this topic. As a mom of 3 and former daycare owner, and current nanny, I have changed a lot of diapers. 

When babies are newborn and I’m still recovering fro c-section, I use the changing table. But when I can move around, we use a changing pad on the floor. It’s easier with squirmy toddlers, and babies can’t fall from the floor. 

Diapers: I usually start with pampers swaddlers, they are soft and perfect. As soo
     as baby is out of newborn age, we go to Huggies. I don’t like diapers that are scented.

Wipes: I have used a wipe warmer for a baby I nannied, and found that as soon as you take the wipe out, it is back to room temperature. I think the warmer is a waste of space and money. 
    I love the 7th Generation and Huggies ‘natural’ wipes. They are thick, wipe well, and don’t leave any surprise poo on your hands. You can also fold them over several times.
     I really hate Amazon brand wipes, with a passion. They are along the lines of Pampers and Kirkland brand, all three are see through they are so thin, and they don’t wipe well, it’s like they just stick to baby butts. 

Diaper Cream: Most brands are fine, I don’t use diaper cream unless the baby is getting a rash. Desitin is ok. Triple Paste is the best at healing a bad diaper rash. I like all the natural and organic brands too. 
    The only one I really don’t like is Butt Paste, it has an ingredient that reminds me of cheap cosmetics from the 80’s. It also made my baby’s rashes worse instead of better. Also, my skin reacts to it with a rash, and it makes my eczema flare up. 

Diaper Pail: I used to just use a basic garbage can that I’d empty everyday for pee diapers. Poop diapers got tied up in a grocery store or dog poop bag and taken immediately outside. The best diaper garbage does not keep the smell in, it’s just that you get used to it. 
    However, last baby we finally got a diaper genie. It’s good, but still leaks poop smell. You still have to take it out at least every other day or it smells. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• mkc3888mkc3888 member
    edited October 2020
    Backsorty: I have a lot to say about this topic.  Last time I did not plan to use cloth.  My sister tried to get me on board with cloth and I was 100% against it.  I tried every brand of disposable diaper pampers, huggies, babyganics, you name it.  I tried so many diaper rash creams and my baby had a rash constantly for the first 2 weeks. My sister caught me at a moment of weakness and said let me bring you a bag of cloth diapers to try and see if it helps her rash, and voila the rash was gone.  From that point on we used cloth and returned all the diapers we got at the shower.

Those of you who went the disposable path, do you have any favorite brands? Those of you who went the cloth diapering path, do you have any favorite brands, methods, techniques? Tips on diaper washing if using cloth?
    Alva is probably my favorite cheap brand.  They are from china and if you order early you can usually get them cheaper on their website.  However thefluffypenguin.com has good prices and in US based.  Their brand is also very similar to Alva.  I also really loved wool.  It's expensive, but never leaked and was the only thing that worked overnight once she was a year old.  We only used fitted diapers under wool, because it contained poop best and absorbed the most. I have a pretty significant stash on one size diapers, so I won't be buying anymore of those, unless it's a boy.  Then maybe I'll buy more.  But my main focus is on getting a newborn stash.  I talked to my sister and she said she can help me learn to sew some diapers.  I tried when my daughter was in diapers and the results were less than stellar.  So hopefully my sister who is more skilled that I am can help me figure out what I was doing wrong or do the hard part for me and I can do the rest.  I want to sew 40 newborn diapers.  That way we will have enough for 3 days between washing.  I'm planning on all in ones for newborn because I think stuffing those tint diapers would be too hard.  My one size diapers are mostly pockets and I like the ability to customize.  

for washing we used fluff love's recommendations and never had problems with washing.  We also used a diaper sprayer from amazon to spray off poop diapers once she started solids.  

What are people's favorite wipes? How do you store wipes, and do you use a wipe-warmer? What do you stock in case of diaper rash? Huggies are my favorite wipes.  I'm considering cloth wipes this time, but haven't made a decision yet. We used talc free baby powder with every diaper change.  My go to was anti monkey butt for everyday, and gold bond medicated baby powder for rashes.  

How do you dispose of dirty diapers: do you have a favorite diaper pail? A service that comes to pick up cloth diapers? We used a Dekor diaper pail with a cloth liner for a while and a diaper genie for wipes.  We ended up switching to a swing top kitchen trash can with a large wet bag with an elastic top. and kept a small bathroom trash can with a lid for sprayed off diapers. 

And how about your diapering set-up at home: do you have cute diaper caddies you want to recommend or are you comfortable throwing a towel on any surface? Diapering set-up on the road: what do you stash in your diaper bag specifically for diapering purposes? We used a changing table for every change.  when out and about we would just use the changing pad anywhere.  

Or does all of this give you a headache and you prefer to go back to our roots and let your children run naked in the woods and practice free elimination? lol

TTC #1 since August 2015
    BFP #1 January 28, 2016
    EDD October 3, 2016
    Felicity Joy, born September 2, 2016
    My Chart
    TTC #2 Since August 2020
    BFP #2 September 11, 2020
    EDD May 23, 2021

• @yellingbanana YES! That way you don't have to carry a massive bag with you and you have back ups.
    *Loss 8/2014*
    *Rainbow 8/2015*
    *Loss of Twin 5/2018*

• We are disposable diaper people all the way.

For the newborn stage we loved Pampers Swaddlers and plan on using them this time around. Once they get a little bigger we switch to Up + Up (Target brand). We also use the Up + Up wipes. 

In the nursery, we started with a Dekor diaper pail and that thing did not contain the smell at all. We ended up switching to an Ubbi diaper pail which we like a lot better (but will still smell if you let it sit too long). For diapers we change downstairs they just go straight to our outdoor trashcan if they're dirty or in our regular kitchen trash if they're just wet. 

• edited October 2020
    Disposable diapers:
    We started with Huggies pure and ever size I switched back and forth. Pampers size 1, Huggies size 1, Pampers size 2, Huggies size 2. Usually whatever was available in a big box at Costco for the brand I was currently using. 

Cloth diapering:  At 8 months I got a couple of cloth diapers and haven't gone back. All second hand, which helps economically. (We really should have a thread just for cloth diapers.) Alva baby, mama koala, little monsters, JJs, rumperaooz and BooHippo, all pocket diapers.  Just picked up some nursery notions for newborn diapers, but they turned out to be small not newborn. They are fitted with covers. I also have a stash of promotional towels and microfibre towels that I fold as cheap inserts. I'm currently contemplating knitting and chopping up a wool sweater to make newborn or toddler wool diaper covers. 

I have 20 pocket diapers and wash every other day in a waahing machine with cold water (because I don't have hot and only the first cycle should have warm anyways) and hang it all to dry in the sun. I use a bathroom sprayer to spray off the poop into the toilet as soon as I take off his diaper. 

Wipes:
    Currently don't use any, occasionally use cloth wipes and sometimes disposable. I used disposable at the beginning especially out and about, but as covid came and we spent more time at home I just used the sink or toilet paper 

Dirty diapers: I use a small kitchen pail with a swinging lid. I was going to put a pillow protector in as a pail bag, but I have bought one yet and don't see a need. 

Diapering set-up at home: Since I use a combination of EC and the bathroom I usually take off the diaper in the bathroom see if he needs to go, wipe him off in the sink and diaper him on any flat surface. I used to use desitin, but can't with cloth, so I use cornstarch wrapoed in a clothwet wipe as a "butt poof".

Diapering set-up on the road
    I have a change pad and just bring one diaper for every 2 hours when he was young. I also have a pencil case/ makeup pouch with 1-2 diapers, sample diaper cream, travel wipes or a couple cloth wipes and a travel soap. Easy to throw in a purse and just take the pouch out for changes 

Elimination communication
    : Don't knock it til you try it. 🙃

A baby can poop at birth, so you can also take it to the toilet at birth. Just like watching for their hungry signals,  you can watch for their elimination signals. But at the beginning it can be as often at every 15 minutes. 

It's the ain reason I started with cloth diapers. Disposable diapers, especially the Huggies I was using did not hold up to putting on and taking off the same diaper multiple times. 

I'm a convenience ECer, so he still uses diapers. I do it based on timing. When I take off the diaper, when he gets up from any sleep, after meals. When he farts or has a poopy face. But the satisfaction of the poop going in a toilet is very satisfying and there are many YouTube channels and communities to help if you are interested. 
  • My MIL today asked if I was planning on using water wipes? I had never heard of them and was just planning on using some sort of sensitive wipe. Anyone have any input on them?
  • @asf0613 I’ve heard they are good and really good for babies with sensitive skin. I’ve never tried them though. 

TTC #1 since August 2015
    BFP #1 January 28, 2016
    EDD October 3, 2016
    My Chart
    TTC #2 Since August 2020
    EDD May 23, 2021

• @asf0613 my daughter was pretty sensitive as a newborn but I didn’t notice much difference between pampers sensitive wipes and water wipes. I don’t think they’re necessarily more expensive, but maybe a good thing to have on hand if baby gets diaper rashes. 
  • @asf0613 We used water wipes with my daughter. The wipes themselves don't have a texture, so if your baby is not sensitive something else might do a better job cleaning. They are also kinda thin, although I didn't have a problem with tearing it can be disconcerting to see poop on the other side when you're trying to wipe with a fresh side even though it doesn't actually leak through.

• For those who did cloth diapers,  did you do cloth wipes as well?
  • edited January 2021
    @mimser Not on purpose, but yes. I really don't know when I stopped using disposable wipes. Before cloth diapers I think. I was gifted more than 60 little cloths, a couple 24 packs basically, and I had no idea what to do with them. Since I was casually attempting EC, by the time he was 4 or 5 months I would actually use toilet paper or water and occasionally the disposables, but mostly for away from the house. So I wipe poop off with toiletpaoer and spray off the rest and then if there's something really difficult I use a cloth. 

I received a wipes package that came with a plastic dispenser that acts like a Tupperware and it's very sturdy and convenient for storing the wipes. It's great to have them for everything. Quick messes, wiping hands, baths. 

• I never used cloth wipes.  Thinking about it for this go around

TTC #1 since August 2015
    BFP #1 January 28, 2016
    EDD October 3, 2016
    My Chart
    TTC #2 Since August 2020
    EDD May 23, 2021