February 2021 Moms

FFFC 10/23

🔥 Any hot confessions out there? 🔥 

Re: FFFC 10/23

• This week has been a stressful one for work. I did a practice presentation yesterday for a very important presentation that I have to do for real in December. The whole point of the practice is to get candid feedback from my bosses, and I want that feedback because I want to do my very best for the real deal. BUT sometimes you just want someone to tell you did a good job, you know? I guess my confession is that I'm an over achiever that has a hard time taking feedback even though deep down I know it is super important. 

• So I've been hitting the holiday shopping hardcore in the hopes of shipping family gifts before Thanksgiving, and when looking at the work people, I kind of don't want to buy something for someone I think I need to?

Our department is really small. We all technically have our own "departments" and are spread out around the building, but there are 3 of us that all directly report to the same person and don't have subordinates of our own. Isle of misfit toys, or whathaveyou. We'll probably go together to get something bigger for the boss lady. Of my peers - One I'm super close with, one I'm not but wouldn't mind being closer with and had no problem finding something, and one I just...can't. I can justify getting more for the one I'm friends with than the other two, but I know it's totally not-cool of me to potentially exclude 1 person in our Dept. 

Despite the fact that we're not close (they stopped talking to me months ago, unless they absolutely have to), I don't really know much about them personally. I had one potential gift in mind, but it's over budget on what I want to spend on that person. I may just suck it up and be done with it, but it leaves a poor taste in my mouth. 
    Me: 34 | DH: 46
    SD: 21 & SS: 17
    BFP #2 6/3/2020

*Trigger Warning*
    TTC 6/13/2015 | BFP #1 5/14/2017 | MMC 7/28/2017 (Trisomy 18) | IL + D&C 8/4/2017

• Loading the player...
  • WildMageletWildMagelet member
    edited October 2020
    The company I work for requires you to "apply" to be qualified for a specific position, before considering you for an interview. You only have to do this pre-screening once and then it's good for 6 years. 

I submitted and got an "A grade" for a position I think I'd really like. It's a pay increase. There are currently no vacancies where I work, but there are 2 at around an hours commute from our office, and 1 in our sister organization at about 1:15.

(Almost) everyone I told at work today was really happy for me, thinks I'd be totally good at it, but pretty much all told me "But there's none here", "But you can't leave", "But you don't want to go there."  I can't help but think in the back of my mind "Uh, watch me." I have some serious number crunching to do as far as the financial implications, and I'm not thrilled about losing that much of my day to a commute - but something has got to give. I've repeatedly ask for my "other duties as assigned" to be reduced and assigned to a person in a job position that's more fitting. My employing company has a terrible habit of once they realize you're good at something, you just keep it....forever and ever even if you change positions and there's someone else more fitting. A lot of our "A-team" people get run down into serious burn-out from it. I've been able to unload some of it due to my upcoming maternity leave, but I fear that once I get back they're going to just expect me to take it all back again and frankly I don't want to. This other position is in a field I would prefer, and I would report directly to the main office which means they can't dump on me anymore.  It sounds...refreshing. And there's always the possibility that I could transfer back doing the same job at my current office once the current guy retires.
    BFP #2 6/3/2020

*Trigger Warning*
    TTC 6/13/2015 | BFP #1 5/14/2017 | MMC 7/28/2017 (Trisomy 18) | IL + D&C 8/4/2017

• @kkfishy9 same girl! I usually take conducive feedback with a brave face, then hide and cry about not being perfect for 10 minutes before moving on with my life

@WildMagelet sounds like an excellent opportunity if you don't mind the commute! When I had a longer commute I actually enjoyed the "me time" and could listen to the radio or call people to chat
  • @jumpy57 - When I had a commute before I actually spent a ton of time talking on the phone to close friends and family members. They knew I was driving and especially in the evenings were more than happy to fill my time with chatter. Sometimes I miss that closeness. I also have a huge backlog of podcasts I need to catch up on, so having some relaxing "me time" doesn't sound so bad either.
    BFP #2 6/3/2020

*Trigger Warning*