June 2021 Moms
Options

Book Worms- Gather here!

Hey there! I am a book worm, I love to read and am usually reading 1-3 books at a time. I was just wondering who else here is a reader and some other things... this format seems popular so here ya go:

Current Read:
Last Read:
What is on your TBR List/Stack:
Do you have any reading goals?
Recommendations:
Married <3 August 2010
DD1  <3 August 2011
DD2 <3 August 2013
DD3 <3 February 2017

Re: Book Worms- Gather here!

• Options
    Current Read: (1) Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah (2) The House We Grew Up In by Lisa Jewell
    Last Read: You by Caroline Kepnes
    What is on your TBR List/Stack: The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon (Stephen King) is most likely what I'll read next, my stack is quite large right now.
    Do you have any reading goals? My goal this year was 30 books, but to do 15 off my "Book-et List", i.e. books I've always intended on reading but never got around to. I think I am at 29 and 12 of those were from the list. I don't think I'll get to 15.
    Recommendations: The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune. It was so heartwarming and just all around lovely.
    Married <3 August 2010
    DD1  <3 August 2011
    DD2 <3 August 2013
    DD3 <3 February 2017
  • Options
    I am a big reader but I want to preface that I am happily in a serious rut at the moment because shit is just hard and I prefer to escape to a future reality.

Current Read: Just started JD Robb’s Creation in Death (In Death #25) but Robert Galbraith’s newest book just came to me from the library so I’ll probably start that tonight and pause ion JD. 

Last Read: Innocent in Death (In Death #24) The one before that was #23...and the one before that was #22  :D serious rut 

Do you have a reading goal? To read every night before bed. On Goodreads I said I would try and read 30 books this year. I’m at 22 and not all
    of them are JD Robb books.

Recommendations: Daisy Jones and The Six was fun! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @disgruntled_pelican Love this idea! And I LOVED Firefly Lane.

Current Read: Dark Places by Gillian Flynn
    Last Read: When We Believed in Mermaids by Barbara O'Neal
    What is on your TBR List/Stack: I'm not sure, open to suggestions! I'd like a good romance... I read the Bronze Horseman a few months ago and loved that it was really in depth historically but still a steamy romance.
    Do you have any reading goals? Not really! I read so much for work (I'm a lawyer) that I try to read fluff whenever possible.
    Recommendations: I really loved Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel.

On a non-book recommendation, I recommend unlinking your Goodreads account from your Amazon account if they're currently linked and you buy any baby books. I got a text not too long after I bought What to Expect that it had popped up on Goodreads...oops!
  • Options
    I read a lot, but mostly just to have a chance to turn off my brain. So very few serious books. 

Current Read: Sweet Magnolia Series by Sherryl Woods 

Last Read: Nine Perfect Strangers by Liane Moriarty 

What is on your TBR List/Stack: It is almost empty, I only have a Robyn Carr one right now and Lies My Teach Told Me 

Do you have any reading goals? No, it is one area of my life I keep goal free. I think I am at around 35 for this year. I use our county library app and read them using Kindle. Has saved me so much $$. 

Recommendations: Recently read Little Fires Everywhere. As an 80s kid it was interesting reading a story about high schoolers during the same time period I was in high school. Lots of politics woven in. 
  • Options
    @ramzlau is that book series sweet magnolia the same as the Netflix show?? 
  • Options
    @mindyb2019 Yes it is! And like usual, I am liking the books better. I am watching/reading in parallel. 
  • Options
    I was just begging my friends for book recommendations, so this is perfect timing. @disgruntled_pelican one of them recommended The House in the Cerulean Sea! I have it on hold through Libby, but it's like an 18 week wait for the e-book and 20 week wait for the audiobook. 

Current Read:
    A Perilous Undertaking (Veronica Speedwell #2) by Deanna Raybourn and Children of Virtue and Vengeance (Legacy of Orïsha #2) by Tomi Adeyemi. 
    Last Read: A Curious Beginning (Veronica Speedwell, #1) by Deanna Raybourn and The Hazel Wood by Melissa Albert.
    What is on your TBR List/Stack: Circe by Madeline Miller, Akata Witch by Nnedi Okorafor.
    Do you have any reading goals? I haven't really set any, other than keep reading while I am enjoying it. Sometimes I burn myself out and go a few months without picking up a book. 
    Recommendations: I am really enjoying the Veronica Speedwell series. It is charming and easy to read. It kind of reminds me of Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries. 
  • Options
    @ramzlau I haven’t read the books before but I did really enjoy the sweet magnolias show on Netflix. 
  • Options
    @ramzlau Little Fires Everywhere was mind blowing good. And @pickle-chips Circe was beautiful! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @pickle-chips - Cerulean in the audiobook form was lovely. I highly recommend it. It warmed my heart in ways I didn't realize I needed!!
    Married <3 August 2010
    DD1  <3 August 2011
    DD2 <3 August 2013
    DD3 <3 February 2017
  • Options
    hillbillywifehillbillywife member
    edited October 2020
    @ramzlau is that the same series as the Netflix show? I’ll have to look those up!

ETA nm- I continued reading 🤦🏻‍♀️
  • Options
    Currently Reading: I’m reading Hell in a Handbasket by Denise Grover Swank and I’m reading The Horse and His Boy to my 8yo and I’m really enjoying it! 

Last Read: last personal read was Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens 

What is on your TBR List/Stack: there’s a new book out in my Rose Gardner series (same as above by Denise Grover Swank) that I want to read, but I’m rereading the whole series so want to finish that first. 

Do you have any reading goals? Not really. Some months I read more than others but I read for a brain escape. 

Recommendations: so many!
  • Options
    @hillbillywife How did you like Where the Crawdads Sing? I started it and couldn't get past the first few chapters...
  • Options
    @ramzlau I really liked it! I think I remember the first couple chapters being slow but I got sucked in! 
  • Options
    @Omie_Wise I just finished Troubled Blood by Robert Galbraith, SO GOOD!!!!! In typical fashion I didn't figure out the killer in advance thanks to her amazing twists, and then I was kicking myself for not realizing it sooner. DH had trouble keeping all the characters straight and still likes Lethal White and Career of Evil best, but I really like this one. Plus you get to spend a lot more time with Robin's character. 

~~Signature~~
    Me: 36, DH: 38, Together since: 2006, Married: 9/2011 
    **TW Living Child**

BFP 9/19/20 - EDD - 6/1/21

BFP 2/2014 - DS - 10/2014

• Options
    I love this thread!! 

@disgruntled_pelican I love that you made a goal to read 15 off your list! I own a lot of books at home I haven't read (always get mine from the library) and I need to make this one of my goals for next year

@Omie_Wise I loved Daisy Jones too! Did you read Evelyn Hugo? I liked that over even more! 

@pickle-chips I loved Circe!! Enjoy when you get there!!

@hillbillywife I loved the whole Chronicles of Narnia series! YS is the perfect age for them. What does he think of the house and his boy? 

@ramzlau I stopped Crawdads the first time I tried (child neglect really gets me). Friends encouraged me to push through and it did get better. I'm glad I read it- the main character really sticks with me- but I do think it's over hyped. 
  • Options
    Current Read: the invisible life of addie larue. Listening to Cleopatra by Stacy Schiff. 

Last Read: The Searcher by Tana French, Mexican Gothic (doing spooky/suspenseful reads for October). Last listen was the Starless Sea. 

What is on your TBR List/Stack: Pet Sematary, Heart Shaped Box

Do you have any reading goals? I try to read for 30 minutes a day. My reading has really amped up since covid started. It's been a good escape, and I'm thinking I'll get to 75 this year. I listen to audiobooks too, and add those in my year number. 

Recommendations: always Outlander!!! One of my favorites for eyes or ears. The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo was good and took me out of covid stress. Books by christina lauren for good romance/light stuff, gill paul for historical fiction. 
  • Options
    Current Read: Barefoot by Elin Hilderbrand

Last Read: A Girl Betrayed by A.L. Aborn (my friend 😊)

What is on your TBR List/Stack: I have so many Elin Hilderbrand books I am trying to read

Do you have any reading goals? Honestly just to read more consistently. I find that I will get sucked into TV and social media instead of reading often

Recommendations: Check out A Girl Betrayed it is really good!
    Me: 38, DH: 37
    Married: 8/10/13
    BFP- 12/18/15, D&E- 4/8/16 @ 21w5d- confirmed Thanatophoric Dysplasia
    BFP- 11/7/17, M/C- 11/18/17 @ 4w6d
    BFP- 8/25/18 ~ EDD- 5/9/19 ~ DD born 5/2/20 *Lillian Hazel*
    BFP- 10/9/20 ~ EDD- 6/21/21

• Options
    @_orchid_ I’ve tried listening to Starless Sea a couple of times, but I found it really hard to get into/follow. I thought I might have better luck with reading the book. What did you think of it in the end? 
  • Options
    @pickle-chips I think it would definitely be easier to read. One thing I liked about the audio was that there were different narrators for different story lines, which helped me keep them straight, but there were a lot of times I wished I could flip back. I listened to the night circus though and that was wonderful as audio (esp since Jim Dale read it!!)
  • Options
    @_orchid_ he likes it I think! Sometimes the language is a little hard for both of us, but once I get in the groove it goes much better. I’m surprised I’ve made it almost 30 years in my life and have never read them before! So good!
  • Options
    Oh I'm so excited to find this thread!  

Current Read: When We Left Cuba by Chanel Cleeton; also Resistance by Tori Amos and I know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou both on Audio
    Last Read: Troubles in Paradise by Elin Hilderbrand 
    What is on your TBR List/Stack: My TBR is out of control.  The Hilderbrand book I just read is the 2nd in a series so I need to read the 3rd.  I'd like to finally read Pachinko by Min Jin Lee and The Signature of All Things by Elizabeth Gilbert is also sitting on my shelf.  
    Do you have any reading goals?  I set a goal of 35 books on Goodreads this year which has proved to be aggressive but also I realized earlier this year that I was pretty much exclusively reading books by white women so I made it a goal to diversify my reading.  

Recommendations:  My favorite book I read this year was Vanishing Half by Britt Bennett; I also loved Crawdads but have heard that the abandonment story is a trigger for a lot of people.  

@_orchid_ I also liked Evelyn Hugo a little more than Daisy Jones.  She has a new book that comes out next year that looks really fun.  
    History and blog link in spoiler
    2016 - dx with super low ovarian reserve; failed cycle with clomid, failed IUI, 
    2017 - egg retrieval #1 - 3 eggs, 0 embryos appropriate for transfer; ER #2 2 eggs, 0 embryos on day 3; ER #3 1 egg 0 embryos
    moved to donor egg in summer 2017; 35 eggs retrieved; 19 fertilized; 9 total embryos
    Fresh transfer Dec 2017= BFP!  baby boy born 8/22/18

May 2019 - surprise natural pregnancy ended in MC
    Nov 2019 FET; MC at 9 weeks
    May 2020 FET; BFN
    July 2020 FET; CP treated with methotrexate
    Oct 2020 BFP! 

Take a look at my blog

• Options
    @laurad75 ohhh I didn't know that! Definitely good to add that one to my list!
  • Options
    @laurad75 I loved The Vanishing Half! Do you have any other recommendations from diverse authors? I've been trying to diversify my reading too. 
  • Options
    @hillbillywife I read Crawdads for my book club. It agree starts slow but the plot pulls you in! 

@DoubleUp8 I’m loving it. I love how you can’t figure out the murderer until the end. JK is just an amazing writer. I think her description are amazing. It makes me want to reread the others. I am enjoying getting to know Robin better. 

@_o@_orchid_ Yes, I have read Evelyn Hugo and you’re right, that is a better book. I really enjoyed that one! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Sorry for double posting
    @laurad75 Pachinko is super good. I loved it. Not as good but another historical Korean novel Everything Belongs to Us was also good. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @nlc_atx I just read An American Marriage by Tayari Jones and that was beautifully written.  Also Such a Fun Age by Kiley Reid was great.  Another good one is Sing, Unburied, Sing by Jesmyn Ward - that book is a little creepy (ghosts) but really well written - she has others that are on my TBR.  
    2017 - egg retrieval #1 - 3 eggs, 0 embryos appropriate for transfer; ER #2 2 eggs, 0 embryos on day 3; ER #3 1 egg 0 embryos
    moved to donor egg in summer 2017; 35 eggs retrieved; 19 fertilized; 9 total embryos

May 2020 FET; BFN
    Oct 2020 BFP! 

Take a look at my blog

• Options
    I’ve also read American Marriage and I agree, it is beautifully written. I wish it would have explored marriage and had greater character development, though. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @Omie_Wise I agree.  I felt like the book lacked some depth but I read it very quickly and enjoyed it.  A multi-POV structure like that always makes a book go by so fast for me.  

May 2020 FET; BFN
    Oct 2020 BFP! 

Take a look at my blog

• Options
    The Vanishing Half has been in my TBR pile for awhile but I've heard mixed reviews. Moving it up! 

@nlc_atx I liked The Girl With The Louding Voice, but it took me a bit to get used to her voice but once I did I flew through it. 

Also liked Stamped by Jason Reynolds and Dr Ibram Kendi, and So You Want To Talk About Race by Ijeoma Olio if you want some nonfiction.