January 2021 Moms

Product Spotlight: Diaper Bags

This is a place for FTMs to ask questions about, S+TMs to share their prior experience with, and everyone to share what they're eyeing in the world of maternity, baby and postpartum products. Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product to help streamline and make it easier to refer back. This week we're discussing diaper bags! 

Please use the prompts below to try to share as much relevant info as you can in a format that is easy for those reading to navigate and respond to.

For S+TMs: 

• Individual (e.g., lifestyle) factors that might influence your choice:
  • Favorite diaper bag:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • What you like and don't like about it:
  • Is there a diaper bag you don't have but are considering? Why?:
  • Is there a diaper bag you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: 
  • Additional thoughts on diaper bags?:

For FTMs:

• Diaper bag you're interested in:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • Any questions for S+TMs?:

To view past Product Spotlights or the upcoming schedule, see

here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1P3okZOAvhVpv0_H6D-T4bKxzmuB2ik7mDbbkQARJeNY/edit#gid=0

Re: Product Spotlight: Diaper Bags

• I have the jujube be right back diaper bag and I love it. It’s back pack style so it’s easy to wear when baby wearing and I just got a solid grey one so my husband is happy to wear it, in fact he’s usually the one carrying it. I like that it’s machine washable and comes with a washable changing pad also. I’ve had it since my oldest was born in Jan 2017 and it still looks brand new. We cloth diaper also so it definitely holds quite a bit!
  • @aels12 this is awesome info! As a FTM I put a lot of stock in what my mom friends say is convenient - and I've heard the backpacks can be a bummer because everything falls to the bottom. (As opposed to a tote which might have more interior pockets?) Did you ever run into that?
  • Loading the player...
  • In Dec of 2019, someone stole my Petunia Pickle Bottom Boxy Backpack. I didn’t want to spend a lot on a new one, and mom blogs led me to this one. You guys. Its awesome. And its SO CHEAP. 

It has SO much space. Insulated pockets for bottles. Tons and tons of pockets. It also has stroller clips built in. We love this bag. Its not fancy but it has significantly more space than any bag I’ve ever used. Changing pad is included. 

Diaper Bag Backpack, iniuniu Large Unisex Baby Bags Multifunction Travel Backpack for Mom and Dad with Changing Pad and Stroller Straps, Gray https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H794T54/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fab_XgFEFbK2ZM4WE
  • STM+ moms: Did you feel like you needed a bigger diaper bag for when you went out with both kids? Right now we have this and it gets the job done for 1. https://www.skiphop.com/skiphop-diaper-bags/V_203100.html
  • Any bag will work as a diaper bag. Some things to consider: pick something you find attractive, interior organization, durability, carry style.

If you find a bag you one that doesn't have great organization, you can do that yourself with packing cubes or zipper pouches. There are endless options!!! I like the visibility of tote bag style and appreciate the hands free of a backpack. DH prefers a backpack. 

Another thing to consider is having a larger bag for day trips, and a smaller pouch to pull out for running into a store (which has a diaper, small pack of wipes, and maybe a new outfit) you can always restock when you get to the car and don't have to carry everything with you at all times.

I also personally prefer separate bags for separate occasions. I have a bag perfectly organized for myself how I like it, and everytime I sent that to Grandma's house for the day it came back a jumbled mess. So now grandma's house has its own tote bag 🤷🏻‍♀️ we also have septate daycare totes that take a bit more abuse
  • SO picked this one out - Birdling Gathre diaper bag with changing pad. Definitely like that it has a changing pad and it seems pretty roomy, it can be used as a backpack or carried as a tote. The website says it has interior pockets although they're not insulated, maybe we'll need to get some other accessory to insulate bottles?

@jumpy57 I like the packing cubes/pouches idea!
  • @whitealbum29 Did you already purchase that bag? It may end up being perfect for you, but I just want to flag that I found Wirecutter's best diaper bags list. They said the Birdling bag was a notable contender but that when they bent down, everything fell out of the side pockets, rendering them next to useless. 

I must admit, I was of the opinion a diaper bag wasn't necessary, but I've been following this thread and then promptly looked into all the best diaper bag lists. I'm still not completely sold. I honestly haven't found a diaper backpack that meets my needs (mostly, must have a useable outside pocket for water bottle and NOT be ginormous (I must be the only mom wanting a smaller diaper backpack). I'm thinking I'll end up getting a non-diaper backpack that meets my needs and then just get an organizer and changing pad to turn it into a diaper bag. @jumpy57 I'm taking your philosophy that any bag can turn into a diaper bag. Unless one of you can sell me on something. I'm really appreciating these recs! 
  • The aesthetics part of me really wants the Dagne Dover Diaper bag.

But I've also seen this one highly reviewed in some mom groups that I'm in. DH definitely likes the function of this bag. I know I want a backpack to free my hands but I'm not sure which way we'll go just yet!
  • @hanfam2021 This one has storage compartments inside which helps, my stuff doesn’t fall to the bottom but I do use smaller pouches inside for various things- they each have a little bag with and extra change of clothes and I put extra diapers in a zipper compartment inside the main part. It fully opens if you lay it down too like a suitcase kind of. 
  • @lavenderclouds Ooh good to know, thx! It's just on our registry/list of stuff to get so haven't gotten it yet but might look around more!