January 2021 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight: Cribs, Travel Cribs, Sleeping Surfaces

This is a place for FTMs to ask questions about, S+TMs to share their prior experience with, and everyone to share what they're eyeing in the world of maternity, baby and postpartum products. Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product to help streamline and make it easier to refer back. This week we're discussing cribs and other sleeping surfaces! 

Please use the prompts below to try to share as much relevant info as you can in a format that is easy for those reading to navigate and respond to.

For S+TMs: 

• Individual (e.g., lifestyle) factors that might influence your choice:
  • Favorite cribs/travel crib/sleeping surface:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • What you like and don't like about it:
  • Is there a cribs/travel crib/sleeping surface you don't have but are considering? Why?:
  • Is there a cribs/travel crib/sleeping surface you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: 
  • Additional thoughts on cribs/travel cribs/sleeping surfaces?:

For FTMs:

• Crib/travel crib/sleeping surface you're interested in:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • Any questions for S+TMs?:

To view past Product Spotlights or the upcoming schedule, see

here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1P3okZOAvhVpv0_H6D-T4bKxzmuB2ik7mDbbkQARJeNY/edit#gid=0

Re: Product Spotlight: Cribs, Travel Cribs, Sleeping Surfaces

• Options
    jumpy57jumpy57 member
    edited September 2020
    Hello! This "system" has worked well for our first two girls so we'll probably do it again

Full size crib:
    We wanted something made out of hard wood (not pine) for durability. I think the brand of ours is Pali and it has held up great. It has the option of becoming a toddler bed or headboard/footboard but we didn't buy those attachments and don't really plan on covering it. If you do plan on converting and using through the future plan on getting something that covers the top rails in case you have a chewer!!! DD1 left some teeth marks. This was always set up in the nursery because I didn't want to worry about taking it apart and moving it (won't fit through doors).

Travel:
    We have a Graco pack n play and have been very happy with it. We did get one with a flippable changing station attachment that we never use. We do use the bassinet feature (that raises up the whole floor) until baby becomes mobile. We set this up in our room and use it until baby is old enough for her own room. It's a bit heavy and works fine for car travel but I don't think I would want to fly with it. We also just keep one at my sister's because we visit often and it's really convenient. I did try and buy a mattress protector thing for it but it was quilted and too puffy and just didn't work well. I would recommend something really thin as a water proof barrier between the sheet and "mattress". We did not add any additional padding or mattress because I don't think they meet safety regulations

ETA: Sheets!
    I really like the quick zip sheets for the full size crib!!!! Then if there's a leak/blowout you just unzip the top and replace and don't have to wrestle with the mattress!!! Other strategies are to do two layers so you just pull off the top sheet and mattress protector and are good to go
  • Options
    We have a Delta convertible crib for DD and bought the same one for this baby. She has a Simmons crib mattress from Costco and I plan to buy the same one again. DD has always been a unicorn sleeper so I'm not about to change anything up this time around. I've only used cloud island sheets and haven't had any problems. We have the sealy cool comfort mattress pads and they're really nice quality. 

As for travel, DD sleeps well in a p&p, my parents have one at their house and my SIL does as well which is nice to not have to bring it although they're pretty easy for car travel. I've only flown once with DD and we stayed at an an airbnb that had a p&p so I just brought a sheet.

This is a splurge but I highly recommend a SlumberPod. It is a blackout tent that fits perfectly over a p&p. If you are traveling anywhere and room sharing with baby, it is amazing. I'm able to have the light on and she doesn't wake up at all. There is also a handy little pocket for your video monitor. I'm really tempted to use it in our room at home when this baby is still in our room.
    Me: 36 DH:41
    DD born 1/3/2019
    EDD for #2 1/28/2021
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    DD sleeps in a Stone & Leigh convertible crib and a Colgate mattress with Cloud Island sheets. I have no issues or comments about either of these things, but my kid apparently liked chewing on the railing of the crib when she was teething, so you might want to invest in something to protect against that. I didn't and don't really have any regrets about it yet, but it's something to think about.

When she was in our room, she used to sleep in this (in the bassinet part): https://www.4moms.com/products/breeze-plus We loved it because we could also change her diapers in the same spot. We traveled with it during car trips, even when she was too big for the bassinet part; she just slept in the bottom part. When she got too big for that, we moved her to a Chicco travel bassinet. https://www.chiccousa.com/shop-our-products/playards-and-bassinets/chicco-lullago-bassinets/ She really liked the birds, and we really liked that we could travel with it. 
  • Options
    @jumpy57 the quick zip sheets sound great, I haven't seen those!

We're doing the Graco pack n play as a bassinet in our bedroom for the first months and then the Babyletto Hudson 3 in 1 convertible crib -- $379 for something that lasts through 4 years and is pretty nice looking I think. 

My friend also sent us a hand-me-down Dock-a-Tot which seems like something baby can hang out/snooze in while you're doing something nearby. 
  • Options
    I think we're renting the Snoo as a bassinet for the first few months. I'm skeptical considering the price but I do have some friends that have sworn by it. That's why I figure that renting might work out for us. If baby doesn't like it, we'll just stop renting and send it back!

Still deciding on cribs but we do like the Guava Lotus for a travel crib/downstairs option. It seems to pack up pretty easily and get good reviews. It doesn't seem like it will take up a lot of space either.
  • Options
    For both our girls we bought solid wood nursery sets. I really like the Westwood brand. We also buy conversion rails and when they are three we convert it to a full. We use covers when it’s a crib and have never had bite marks. They both now have beautiful solid wood bedroom sets that I plan on them keeping until they move out. I think the mattress was a Simmons organic? I can’t remember but it’s in amazing shape because we always keep an allergen/water proof cover on it. Baby boy will use that mattress and get his own nursery set. Nursery set is about $2k

We love our Graco pack and play. I will say they have a lot of different ones that range in price. Ours was about 170 6.5 years ago. The cheaper ones are hard and often have gaps in the sleep boards that I can only imagine are uncomfortable. We use ours for non flight travel and to have a sleeping station downstairs in the early days. 

We also have a full size arms reach that stays in our bedroom until the baby goes in their nursery (around 12 weeks). It can connect to the bed to be a co sleeper but I’ve never found that comfortable, so we keep it detached. 200 I think?

With my second I also got a rock and play and it was amazing. I think they are recalled now but I may still use ours during the day when I’m watching him. And we have a graco snugapuppy swing that will go through all three kids and we love that, great for napping. 

BFP #1 November 28, 2013 E Born August 3, 2014
  • Options
    I have the 4moms P&P on our registry.
    Still undecided on our bassinet..but leaning toward “Simmons kids oval city sleeper”.

& We picked up all of our nursery furniture at Restoration Hardware yesterday! 
    Can’t wait to upload pics when the nursery finished! 

Does anyone have good organic cotton sheets recommendations? We bought some Naturepedic ones but they only have like 2 colors (I am a solid color person tho) just would like more variety..
  • Options
    @HappyFeet34 our nursery set for the boys were Westwood also, I love it! We’ve used the same set for both and plan to for baby girl too but it still looks like new.