3rd Trimester
Options

Another Group B Positive Question

Was anyone else worried they wouldn’t be able to get the 2 doses of medicine? I am only 1cm and I’m just worried that I’ll have a quick labor this time around. 

Has anyone only had one dose? Was everything okay? 

Will the baby need antibiotics after birth? 
Will I need to continue antibiotics after birth? 
Is the baby allowed to stay in the room with me after birth? Do they monitor the baby there in my room? 
(I forgot to ask my dr and I don’t go again till Monday) 

Re: Another Group B Positive Question

• Options
    Was anyone else worried they wouldn’t be able to get the 2 doses of medicine? I am only 1cm and I’m just worried that I’ll have a quick labor this time around. 

Has anyone only had one dose? Was everything okay? 

Will the baby need antibiotics after birth? 
    Will I need to continue antibiotics after birth? 
    Is the baby allowed to stay in the room with me after birth? Do they monitor the baby there in my room? 
    (I forgot to ask my dr and I don’t go again till Monday) 

Worried I wouldn’t get both doses? No. Did I know it was a possibility? Yes. There’s nothing that can be done about it. You can’t change your labor speed, so I was never really worried. Even without antibiotics, chances are low your baby will get meningitis, sepsis, etc. I did everything I could do within my control such as going quickly to the birth center and taking probiotics, and everything else was not within my control.

You can look up statistics as to what the odds are of your baby getting an infection with and without antibiotics on the CDC website. 

Typically, the baby will not get antibiotics post birth. The antibiotics are to kill the GBS bacteria in the mother’s body so the baby won’t get it as they pass through the vagina. The antibiotics are for the baby‘s benefit, not you, so no, they won’t be continued post birth. 

To your final two questions, that will probably be up to individual hospital policy. As I said in my response to your other post, I was able to go ahead with an OOH birth. My baby was with me the whole time. I left four hours after her birth. The same would have been the case if I’d had one dose or none. 
  • Options
    These would be great questions to ask your medical care provider. Hospitals and doctors will have varying policies. Again though, this is done out of an abundance of caution. Many babies are born without being able to get the dosage in time and are fine.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Loading the player...