May 2021 Moms

PGAL - Too many blood tests?

I'm 6 weeks 1 day pregnant after my first pregnancy ended in miscarriage at about 5 weeks in May. I've had 4 blood tests and am going in for my 5th tomorrow and wondering if this is a bit overkill? My HCG levels are on the lower end, but still within range of someone at 6 weeks. The first few tests showed doubling every 2 days, but the test yesterday showed doubling every 3 days which my fertility doctor expressed concerns with, though Dr. Google says this is normal.

I appreciate the extra caution my clinic is taking, but slightly concerned with the level of anxiety it's causing me. Is anyone else going in 2x / week for bloodwork? Is this normal? Is this a PGAL thing, or because I'm working with a fertility clinic? I thankfully got pregnant before we had to do IVF, but I was on Clomid + Letrozole. Also, any stories of HCG levels doubling every 3 days at 6 weeks would be comforting :) 

Re: PGAL - Too many blood tests?

• My last pregnancy was courtesy of Clomid and I had a loss 10 years prior to that pregnancy. I went in for blood work twice a week until 8 weeks. I think it might be more of a fertility clinic thing than a pgal thing, but I could be wrong. Have you told your doc it is causing you stress? They might be ok dropping down to once a week? Sorry I don’t remember my HCG level increase rates :( but the frequency does seem normal to me, given my experience 
  • Fertility clinics will monitor much more closely than an OB, but I’m sure they can help accommodate if it’s stressing you out, or at least explain the reasoning around suggesting 2x a week. In my first pregnancy I was with a fertility clinic and there were a lot of blood tests at week 4-5 but after that I just had an ultrasound every week. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you @samd6 and @ckmb_1250 !  Wow 2x/week for 8 weeks... I think I need to reframe my attitude towards this if I'm going to do this for a few more weeks! Part of me is grateful for the watchful eye, but it has proven to be incredibly stressful. I think I'll feel better when we're doing ultrasounds as well... 

•  meganwhit said:
    Thank you @samd6 and @ckmb_1250 !  Wow 2x/week for 8 weeks... I think I need to reframe my attitude towards this if I'm going to do this for a few more weeks! Part of me is grateful for the watchful eye, but it has proven to be incredibly stressful. I think I'll feel better when we're doing ultrasounds as well... 

One major advantage for me for being with a fertility doc was the increased ultrasounds too. I’m bracing myself to not get as many since we conceived on our own this time.