January 2021 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight: Diapering

whitealbum29whitealbum29 member
edited September 2020 in January 2021 Moms
This is a place for FTMs to ask questions about, S+TMs to share their prior experience with, and everyone to share what they're eyeing in the world of maternity, baby and postpartum products. Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product to help streamline and make it easier to refer back. In this thread we're discussing diapering! 

Please use the prompts below to try to share as much relevant info as you can in a format that is easy for those reading to navigate and respond to.

For S+TMs: 

• Individual (e.g., lifestyle) factors that might influence your choice:
  • Favorite diaper type/brand (cloth, disposable, etc.):
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • What you like and don't like about it:
  • Is there a diaper type/brand you don't have but are considering? Why?:
  • Is there a diaper type/brand you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: 
  • Additional thoughts on diapers?:

For FTMs:

• Diaper type/brand you're interested in:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • Any questions for S+TMs?:

To view past Product Spotlights or the upcoming schedule, see

here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1P3okZOAvhVpv0_H6D-T4bKxzmuB2ik7mDbbkQARJeNY/edit#gid=0

Re: Product Spotlight: Diapering

• Options
    We used (and still use) pampers swaddlers for my daughter, will probably plan on the same for this baby. I tried the target brand after lots of people recommended them but they never quite fit my daughter correctly. I almost always buy them from Target, there are often gift card deals if you spend $100. 

I did have one shipment of hello bello last year, they're super cute and fit pretty well but I don't think they were quite as dry on her booty. She had a pretty bad diaper rash and I stopped using them after that. 
    Me: 36 DH:41
    DD born 1/3/2019
    EDD for #2 1/28/2021
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    supersara2supersara2 member
    edited September 2020
    We also have been using Pampers Swaddlers for our toddler since she was born. There was one time that we used Huggies and we thought she had a diaper rash from that, so we stopped that and continued on with Pampers. Like @lacroixliz mentions, we get them at Target when they have the gift card specials. We also use the Pampers Overnights. We plan on doing the same for the next baby.

Edited because I accidentally a word. :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We used mostly cloth for the first two. Third baby was born when big sis was only 18mo and I was so overwhelmed we did a LOT of disposables with him. Planning to cloth diaper this one again but I’ll need to buy some new ones. I used old-school tri-folds with knitted or sewn covers.
  • Options
    Disposables:
    -My BIL works for the company that makes Huggies so I might be biased 🤣 
    - fun fact: it was either my BIL or another friend that helped invent the poop pocket in Huggies (a little flap by the back waistband to help prevent blowouts)
    - we typically use Huggies little snugglers. I love how soft they are and we haven't really had leaking/blowout issues. 
    - we also regularly use Kirkland brand at Costco which I believe is the same as one of the Huggies types.
    - the hospital uses Pampers swaddlers which work well, they have a weird mesh liner layer that I dislike but I don't think it has anything to do with quality
    - many other brands work just fine 🤷🏻‍♀️ we've tried several when in a pinch and just need to grab something

Cloth:
    I used a lot of cloth for DD1 and really liked it. I was having issues with funky smelling diapers with DD2, not sure if it was because a friend borrowed them and goofed something, our washer wasn't doing it right, or a detergent issue. We've since gotten a new washer (went back to something with a center agitator) and I think I'll try cloth again.

I like to use prefolds/inserts with a diaper cover. I have mostly best bottoms covers though I do have a few newborn sizes in other brands, I think Thirsties are similar. The snap in inserts are soooo easy to figure out and fairly slim. I also used a lot of prefolds just set in the liner. I prefer snaps to velcro. Usually if we had leaks it was due to a fit issue and I just needed to adjust the covers due to baby being bigger. Once she was sleeping through the night we would do a disposable diaper for that
  • Options
    We have used them all I feel like. 

I like the Kirkland brand a lot, and we also use the Sam’s Club brand. Sam’s is cheaper, and I think very similar quality. 

I’m probably the odd one out, but I hate Pampers. The smell is very baby powdery and when mixed with poop, it grosses me out. We also have the tabs break off constantly. 

This time we’re going to try Target because they are cheapest overall and do a lot of promotions with gift cards, which is really nice since we’ll have 2 under 2. 

I like Honest a lot too, but not enough to pay for them. They’re really expensive and I’m cheap with diapers. 

With my first we were exclusively Huggies and when I finally tried Kirkland, I never went back to Huggies 
  • Options
    @carleym93 I completely agree about pampers, I can’t stand them! Their wipes too. I bought some out of desperation when the covid craziness hit and out normal ones (Costco brand) were hard to find. I couldn’t take it and now those are the wipes that get sent to daycare. We cloth diapers, and that smell is actually why I initially wanted to do cloth! We do. Mix of Bumgenius pockets with thirsties hemp inserts and thirsties natural all in ones. I mostly send the pockets to daycare and use the all in ones at home. I like them both and found as long as we use natural fibers like the hemp/cotton instead of microfiber we pretty much never have leaks. I got our wash routine from fluff love university and have followed it since my youngest was born in Jan 17 and we’ve never had any issues. Fingers crossed my washer lasts at least through this baby potty training because I don’t want to ever have to figure out a wash routine again!
  • Options
    We used a mix of cloth and disposables with number one and plan to do the same this time. 

For cloth we use Mother Ease- All in Ones 

And for disposables we use Kirkland brand from Costco or Huggies because of their poop pockets (thank you @jumpy57 ’s BIL! Lol). 

Started out with pampers and switched after discovering he had way less blowouts with Huggies/ Kirkland. 
  • Options
    Oh crap (literally), we didn't think much about diapers and just put a bunch of boxes of Pampers on our registry (some friends told me to put a lot of diapers on there, is this weird?)! Maybe I'll change them, the Huggies back pocket sounds good! I have a couple friends who really like Target brand too.

What are everyone's thoughts about diaper pails that are supposed to keep smells contained? My friend who advised me on our registry told me not to bother, but we're in a third floor apartment and getting an outdoor trash solution just for diapers might not be practical. Has anyone found it to be true that the diaper genie-type pails don't really hold that many diapers and aren't really helpful? 

Also STM+ -- approximately how many diapers did the hospital/birthing center send home with you? I'm sure this varies but just curious if you felt like you were sent home well-stocked for a couple weeks. 
  • Options
    @whitealbum29 Might as well keep some small packs from different brands on there; you never know what your child might prefer. As for diaper pails, we have the Diaper Genie for upstairs and it's been fine. We also use an old kitchen garbage for downstairs, and that works too. The old kitchen garbage definitely holds more diapers, but we still take it out every week for garbage day, so it's usually fairly empty (she goes to daycare now, but during the newborn days, I don't remember it ever getting full before garbage day; maybe halfway?). I don't think our hospital sent us with diapers. That must be nice.  :D
  • Options
    @whitealbum29 the take home hospital diapers might get you through a couple days. Typically the doctor will have you track the number of wet/dirty diapers to verify that baby is eating enough (so 8-12 wet a day I think). Definitely have diapers on hand at home!!!
  • Options
    I never bought newborn diapers, the hospital sent us home with enough of those that when they ran out we just used size 1, if that helps at all. We mostly cloth but use disposable wipes for poop and just have a normal stainless steel step lid trash for that. When we’ve used disposables I don’t think it stinks, but I’ve never tried a diaper genie so I can’t really compare. 
  • Options
    @whitealbum29 We have a Munchkin STEP diaper pail for DD and I'm planning to buy a 2nd. It really does contain the smell and we empty it 1x per week the night before trash day. The target brand bag refills work great. I think they're def worth it for convenience. 

I think the hospital maybe sent us home with one small pack of diapers. We had to go out and buy more preemie diapers because I had only bought newborn. I think the majority of babies would be fine in newborn size.
    Me: 36 DH:41
    DD born 1/3/2019
    EDD for #2 1/28/2021
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @lacroixliz Oooh good to know, thank you! I haven't heard of that one.
  • Options
    @lacroixliz Does it contain the smell even when open, or just closed? We have the Diaper Genie and it's not pleasant when it's open.