January 2021 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight: Maternity Clothes

Okay no time like the present, we don't necessarily have to answer all these questions but I stole this from the November board. Since people due later in the month are headed into the second trimester let's talk maternity clothes!

This is a place for FTMs to ask questions about, S+TMs to share their prior experience with, and everyone to share what they're eyeing in the world of maternity, baby and postpartum products. Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product to help streamline and make it easier to refer back. This week we're discussing maternity clothes! 

Please use the prompts below to try to share as much relevant info as you can in a format that is easy for those reading to navigate and respond to.

For S+TMs: 

• Individual (e.g., lifestyle) factors that might influence your choice:
  • Favorite maternity clothes/lines/stores:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • What you like and don't like about it:
  • Is there a brand/type of maternity clothes you don't have but are considering? Why?:
  • Is there a brand/type of maternity clothes you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: 
  • Additional thoughts on maternity clothes?:

For FTMs:

• Maternity clothes/lines/stores you're interested in:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • Any questions for S+TMs?:

To view past Product Spotlights or the upcoming schedule, see here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1P3okZOAvhVpv0_H6D-T4bKxzmuB2ik7mDbbkQARJeNY/edit#gid=0

Re: Product Spotlight: Maternity Clothes

• Options
    Most of my maternity clothes are from gap and I like them a lot. This is pregnancy three for me and they’re all still pretty much like new. I did get some Ingrid and Isabel workout leggings that I like too. 
  • Options
    I saved most of my clothes from my last pregnancy. Thankfully this one will be born in the same season, so I just needed to replace some cami's and nursing bras that did not hold up after my last pregnancy. Some of my things were hand me downs from my sister in law. I also bought some new things from old navy and target.

This time I found some nice things on Amazon and also got some awesome workout leggings from old navy. I'm only 15 weeks currently, but they are great and imagine them being so comfortable as we move into cooler weather. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Most of my maternity clothes are from Motherhood Maternity and they are fine. I got some really nice things from stitch fix for when I had an interview. I've only had the full panel pants which I like, but if I know I'm going to be moving around a lot I know they will start sagging. For this reason I have some overalls 😂 coworkers would make fun of me when I wore them to do field work, but I would just tell them needing to pull my pants up all the time isn't very professional.

I'm currently working from home so I think I'll get some leggings and simple tops to go with.
  • Options
    I saved all my maternity clothes (some of which were hand me downs) and since my due dates are like 3 weeks apart and I don't go anywhere these days anyways I probably should be okay.

I really like the ingrid & isabel jeans from Target. I have a pair of Motherhood jeans and they don't fit nearly as well. I&I come in actual number sizes where as the motherhood is S, M, or L. I still like to have some shape to my booty thankyouverymuch

I like the old navy maternity workout leggings. I hope to be able to get a pair of the zella maternity leggings in the nordstrom sale though.

Almost all of Pink Blush's flowy dresses are on amazon under different non maternity brands for less money. Also don't get sucked into maternity cardigan sweaters... you can wear all your regular ones just fine with a long tank underneath. I had a few nice wrap dresses from MM for special events along with some maternity spanx type things from amazon. I can find the link if anyone needs them because they were amazing.

I never got very big last time (DD measured small for most of the 3rd trimester) and I was able to zip up my winter coats without a problem. I probably won't be that lucky this time around but I'll just survive without zipping up my coat for a few weeks if necessary. 
    Me: 36 DH:41
    DD born 1/3/2019
    EDD for #2 1/28/2021
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    edited August 2020
    The one product recommendation I have to add is a belly support band through Bao Bei.
    https://www.baobeimaternity.com/collections/support-bands
    I mentioned I was ordering this in my update a couple weeks ago. It shipped immediately, which is always fantastic for maternity clothes that you feel like you need yesterday. I have only used it for running twice so far, and only in week 18. I ordered a small. Some of the reviews were warning that the small did not seem to last them fully into 3rd tri, as it gets way too tight. This band for right now feels about right, and I think if I ordered a medium, it would be too large in the 2nd tri. Anyway, it's a risk I was willing to take, as it's the only band I could find that fully wraps around the entire belly. My problem/concern was that I had stretch marks around my belly after running. Since using this, I haven't had stretch marks, so YAY! It seems to hold everything in place while running and I'm loving the feeling/material. 

The other thing I ordered from them was their Air Cool Mesh Tank. https://www.baobeimaternity.com/collections/all-products/products/air-tank
    I used it hiking and it was seriously the best hiking shirt ever. The mesh in the back is so needed for this kind of activity. I'll be using this when I'm not using the belly band for hiking/mild workouts from now on. It's very likely I'll also use the tank for running once I fully outgrow my running shirts that I wear over the belly band. The tank squeezes in a bit, not nearly as tight as the band, so I'll definitely still need the band for running, but I don't feel like I need the band for hiking (at least not yet).

I really wish I could find maternity hiking pants. Any advice? 

Adding on that I received AG maternity jeans from my friend and they have been a lifesaver and SUPER cute to boot. Love all my AG non-maternity jeans/pants, but honestly I feel like I've never looked better now that I have these. Highly, highly recommend AG (any time, not only pregnancy). Super good quality jeans. 
    These are the ones I have: https://www.apeainthepod.com/collections/ag-jeans/products/ag-secret-fit-belly-legging-ankle-maternity-jeans-medium-wash-destructed-006-22948-000-001
  • Options
    I bought all my maternity clothes last time from Motherhood Maternity, except a belly band from Target. I found this nursing bra comfortable: https://www.motherhood.com/collections/nursing-bras/products/seamless-clip-down-maternity-and-nursing-bra-006-98422-006-001

Problem was I must have only tried on one of them when I bought 2, so one of them fits fine and the other one is a little smaller (same size but different colors). Not sure if it's the stretch in it or not, so I'd recommend trying all of them on before you buy (or take the tags off from buying online), even if you're buying the same item, just in a different color. I also bought 1 or 2 pairs of jeans from them, but I also managed to still fit into stretchy yoga/PJ pants I already had by the end, so that helped when I wasn't at work. My goal was to buy as few maternity clothes as possible; just whatever I needed to get by.
  • Options
    whitealbum29whitealbum29 member
    edited August 2020
    @lacroixliz That's good to know re: cardigans!

So far I have a couple of dresses (Gap bodycon and a flowy one from Old Navy) but they're still a little big. I got them online which I hate doing in general and I think I should have maybe gotten a size down but hopefully I'll grow into them. I also got some jeans with the belly band that goes all the way around, three tops from Gap, two of which fit pretty well and one of which seems a bit big, I'm not sure how consistent their sizing is, and got a two-pack of Old Navy leggings which I like. Basically I haven't found anything I'm raving about yet but I don't think I need too much for the summer, hopefully I'll find some good cooler weather stuff later. 

So far my yoga tops have been stretchy enough but will probably need to get a couple workout tops soon, I might look at Ingrid and Isabel.

I cancelled my Stitch Fix when I got pregnant but might sign up for a couple of months to take some of the guesswork out of it!
  • Options
    Any fellow Canadians missing Thyme Maternity? It was my favourite store with my first pregnancy. Luckily I’m due in the same season as last time so I’ll be able to reuse everything. I ordered a couple new things from Thyme before they went out of business for this pregnancy. I also miss Target a lot in general. I’m definitely in withdrawal of my stateside shopping trips with the border being closed. 
  • Options
    I really like the Pink Blush maternity shirts, they hold up really well to all the stretching, especially if you’re a minimalist like me and tend to rotate the same 3-4 shirts. I’ve been wearing my maternity shirts from four years ago regularly and they’re still in great shape. 

Still on the struggle bus to find good maternity pants, it’s Falling Pants City over here. Will definitely pay attention to your recommendations! I did get a pair of maternity shirts from Target this week that fit really well, though.

I’d also love recommendations on sports bras! All the ones I tried last time have me uniboob and it was pretty uncomfortable.
  • Options
    @Marynog it's been awhile since I've had to shop for sports bras, but Target used to have some that zipped in front which are awesome if you decide to breastfeed. 
  • Options
    I primarily have gap and ON maternity clothes. I don’t love motherhood, quality or fit. I tend to go “cheap” on my maternity clothes because my hips continue to widen throughout my pregnancy and I pretty much change sizes with every trimester. For leggings/yoga pants I have a couple of high waisted ones I like from amazon that I ordered bigger sizes in. They will be good post partum as well. 

BFP #1 November 28, 2013 E Born August 3, 2014
  • Options
    Oh and if anyone needs nursing bras as your boobs grow Soma has awesome ones. 

• Options
    Target for the win for me for maternity everything. Cheap and have held up fairly well. Also bamboobies yoga bras. Good for pregnancy ans a lifesaver after. I may or may not have continued to wear them long after I was done bfing.
    One recommendation- buy one expensive quality pair of jeans- whatever name brand you like in maternity. I have a hard time finding jeans in general so it was 1000% worth it to have a good go to pair of jeans, especially in winter. Plus they held up really well so I'm getting a third use out of them.
  • Options
    Has anyone found a favorite place to get a nice semi-formal maternity dress? I need one for our City Hall wedding in October but don't feel like it has to be an official "wedding dress." I wish Anthropologie had a maternity line and I'm surprised they don't!
  • Options
    @whitealbum29 ASOS has some great dressier maternity dresses that could easily be wedding dresses!
    DD born 1/3/2019
    EDD for #2 1/28/2021
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I ordered two shirts and jeans from GlamPunch brand off Amazon. The shirts are awesome and so soft! I got a long sleeve and short sleeve that tie at the bust. I really hope they hold up well. The jeans were well made and fit ok. I'm 5'11" and they hit me mid calf but I planned on wearing them with boots so that's fine. I don't think my butt fills them out enough. They are an underbelly style and are less awkward than the full panel to hike up so I guess I'll keep them and hope they fit better once I get a bit bigger
  • Options
    I set up a stich fix delivery for some maternity clothes... I'll keep you updated if it's good! I had a $100 promo so I figured it was worth trying it out.
    DD born 1/3/2019
    EDD for #2 1/28/2021
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I set up a stich fix delivery for some maternity clothes... I'll keep you updated if it's good! I had a $100 promo so I figured it was worth trying it out.
    I'm doing StitchFix for maternity as well! I've kept 2 dresses and a cardigan (non-maternity but it obviously works) so far. I'm going to keep doing it for a few more months since I seem to be having luck. I hope you like it too.
  • Options
    @lacroixliz @msjaay I have my first maternity Stitch Fix coming soon! I've used them before pre-pregnancy and found that it was great for several months but then they seemed to start sending a lot of the same kind of stuff over and over. But I'm hopeful now that I'll be getting a new category of clothes for a few months!
  • Options
    I’m having the worst time finding good workout maternity leggings. I need not see through and a good fit, and more of the slick athletic material. I tried the gap blackout leggings and they’re good except the legs are huge. So big around my calves but fit everywhere else. I’ve tried the Ingrid and Isabel and they’re slightly see through and also super cottony so they attract dog hair like crazy (I have two goldens). Does anyone have any suggestions?
  • Options
    @whitealbum29 PinkBlush Maternity is a good option for formal too. I’ve gotten a few things from there for weddings and formal events. 

• Options
    I really liked the stuff that was sent in my Stitch Fix box! Sadly I rarely go anywhere so can't justify too much but I'm keeping 2 tops that I probably wouldn't have picked out for myself!
    DD born 1/3/2019
    EDD for #2 1/28/2021
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I like the Isabel & Ingrid maternity yoga pants and jeans from target!