February 2021 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight—Diapering

Regular or cloth? Brands you love of each? Pros and cons of either one? Tell us the down and dirty of the diapers you used or plan on using and why. Feel free to discuss laundry issues too with cloth diapering. 

Re: Product Spotlight—Diapering

• Options
    Thanks for starting this discussion! 
    I don't know anyone close to me that has cloth diapered but I am definitely interested in trying it so I am eager to hear from everyone on this 
  • Options
    I do regular diapers. I’ve used a lot of different brands (pretty much all of the natural brands), and so far there aren’t any that I really don’t like, some just stop working as well as he grows (like, I just switched from Honest nighttime to Hello Bello nighttime, and from Honest daytime to the natural Huggies (the black box) because Honest was too tight around DSs thighs but not his waist). I just wouldn’t stock up on a ton since it was a lot of trial and error with DS to see what led to the fewest blowouts as a newborn/infant 😬 and we still regularly change brands as he grows.

I have the Dekor classic diaper pail and no complaints.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I used regular diapers with DS and like @hannahbananas11, changed frequently depending on what worked for him/cost! We did Pampers swaddlers for forever, but then switched to Target brand for about half the cost. We did one size bigger at nighttime once he was around 6 months and used Huggies or Luvs- those seemed to hold more at night. We had the diaper genie with the carbon insert- I think it still was stinky for a diaper pail. I’m going to get a Dekor classic as well to replace- I’ve heard good things about it and that you can use regular garbage bags inside  as a “hack” instead of buying the company ones. 
  • Options
    Disposables:
    -My BIL works for the company that makes Huggies so I might be biased 🤣 
    - fun fact: it was either my BIL or another friend that helped invent the poop pocket in Huggies (a little flap by the back waistband to help prevent blowouts)
    - we typically use Huggies little snugglers. I love how soft they are and we haven't really had leaking/blowout issues. 
    - we also regularly use Kirkland brand at Costco which I believe is the same as one of the Huggies types.
    - the hospital uses Pampers swaddlers which work well, they have a weird mesh liner layer that I dislike but I don't think it has anything to do with quality
    - many other brands work just fine 🤷🏻‍♀️ we've tried several when in a pinch and just need to grab something

Cloth:
    I used a lot of cloth for DD1 and really liked it. I was having issues with funky smelling diapers with DD2, not sure if it was because a friend borrowed them and goofed something, our washer wasn't doing it right, or a detergent issue. We've since gotten a new washer (went back to something with a center agitator) and I think I'll try cloth again.

I like to use prefolds/inserts with a diaper cover. I have mostly best bottoms covers though I do have a few newborn sizes in other brands, I think Thirsties are similar. The snap in inserts are soooo easy to figure out and fairly slim. I also used a lot of prefolds just set in the liner. I prefer snaps to velcro. Usually if we had leaks it was due to a fit issue and I just needed to adjust the covers due to baby being bigger. Once she was sleeping through the night we would do a disposable diaper for that
  • Options
    @jumpy57 omg “poop pocket.” That’s the first time I’ve heard it referred to as that and now I’ll never NOT refer to it as that. 
  • Options
    We do disposable diapers as well. I couldn’t bring myself to do cloth. Also, no daycare around here will do cloth so I would have to still do disposable at daycare even if I did cloth at home and that just wasn’t worth it to me. 

We mostly use Pampers but will use pretty much any kind. We didn’t like luvs bc I felt like they swelled up as soon as he even peed a little and it looked like his diaper was about to explode. But they still did the job. Huggies seem to be giving him a rash lately so we’ve stopped those. He can even use store brand although they definitely aren’t as absorbent. FYI for FTMs: don’t go by the weight rating on the package. Each kid pees a different amount. My DS was always in the next size up before he hit the “minimum” weight rating. And at nights he was in a size larger than his daytime size (although that just seems to have evened out around 2 yrs old). 

For a diaper pail we have the dekor and love that you can just use regular trash bags. We put poop diapers in a plastic grocery bag and take them right outside (once he started real food). 
  • Options
    You can get by with the packaging that the wipes come in, but I really like this wipe dispenser. It has a weighted plate so you don't end up with five wipes in one pull. I buy wipes in bulk and use this dispenser. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07STXDY84?colid=9KWBSXIPYG9B&coliid=IXOPSP2I7U6GV&ref=br_ADD_TO_CART_title_link

The heated dispensers seem useless. My kid has never minded room temp wipes. I just warm them in my hand for a few seconds before wiping.

For wipes, I like the Huggies natural ones. They're not super wet (the Water Wipes and the Seventh Generation Wipes were too wet for my liking) and they pull out easily unlike the Honest wipes.
  • Options
    wipes: we like the Huggies naturals too. I don’t like how the pampers pull out. I always get like 4 wipes instead of 1. We didn’t use a wipes warmer and kind of forgot they existed. I’ve heard they can dry out your wipes though. 
  • Options
    We did cloth diapering for 2y 3mo for DD (until she potty trained) and will do it again with this baby. I loved it! It was so inexpensive after the initial purchase (most of which were used beforehand), the lower environmental impact was important to me, and it didn't feel like too a big deal doing a few extra loads of laundry.

I have quite a few brands and would be happy to share specifics with anyone interested. My favorites by far are Lil Helper diapers... I wish we only had those, but we have lots of other brands mixed in that I was able to find used that work well too.
    Rainbow Baby? {2.1.21}
    MC at 8 weeks {EDD 9.2.20}
    Rainbow Girl! {2.28.16}Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby boy, lost at 16 weeks {EDD 6.10.15}

• Options
    Came back because I totally forgot about diaper cream. I use Aquaphor. The Burt’s Bees diaper cream gave DS a bad rash.
    Also, add the Bum Brush to your list/registry! It’s a ointment applicator that keeps the diaper cream off your hands. Seemed gimmicky to me when my friend put one in her shower gift to me, but I’ve ended up using it every day with DS and I even bought a smaller one for the diaper bag. Here’s a listing that’s one standard size and one travel size bundled. You can get them at Target too. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075VC9VNC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_hb8xFb16S5P9J
  • Options
    We also use aquaphor. It quickly clears up most rashes DS has and has minimal ingredients. The few times he has had a severe rash that won’t go away with aquaphor we use something with zinc oxide. Usually Boudreaux’s Butt Paste. He's had a few that need medicated cream from the pediatrician, the latest being a probable allergic reaction to the Huggies that requires cortisone. Another note, a lot of times our pediatrician has small samples That companies send them at the reception desk and that’s how we figured out what creams/shampoos/soaps worked for DS. That way we didn’t buy a whole whatever and realize he was allergic or it smelled terrible. 

• Options
    my kids rarely have had diaper rash but a friend swore by Pixav diaper cream and gave me some for my baby shower with DS1 and it has cleared up any signs of a rash before the next diaper cream. Highly recommend. I’ve used both cloth and regular. DS2 showed up a month early so I never got it together enough to cloth diaper with him. I also dislike cloth after we start solids 😆 I used g diapers and like them. For disposable I like Huggies. I can’t wait to try the black box ones since they didn’t have them for DS2, and I used Pampers Pure. I don’t like pampers from the standpoint of they stink as soon as my kids pee in them. Both my kids could blow out of Honest diapers every time they were in the car seat. 🙄 They did not work for us. Luvs also leaked a lot and I just didn’t like them. It’s going to be a lot of yours and baby’s preference. 
  • Options
    Kiddos to everyone cloth diapering! It came down to convenience for us to do disposable and none of the more natural
    brands seemed to fit right and hold it all in for our kiddo. We ended up with huggies for newborn and have done Luvs ever since.