April 2021 Moms

September Appointments Thread

Re: September Appointments Thread

• @bblair24 glad it was helpful. The 2 main concerns with the SCH are 1. that it's near the placenta and could dislodge it (shouldn't be the case for you if your doc isn't concerned - mine wasn't near the placenta either which was great) and 2. That it covers so much of the gestational sac that it applies pressure and causes a miscarriage that way. SCH can actually stand for subchorionic hemorrhage (when it's actively bleeding) or subchorionic hematoma (when it's essentially clotted off and no longer actively bleeding). If you do have bleeding, brown/rust color is better than red b/c that means it's clotted and likely no longer growing. The bigger the SCH is in relation to the gestational sac, the higher the risk (also riskier if it's at the placenta like mentioned above). So yours might be on like 10 or 20% of the gestational sac and it's no big deal. I had a bit of bleeding at 12ish weeks that was brown which wasn't a problem (potentially good since the SCH would be getting smaller then). My SCH stayed the same size basically but as the gestational sac grows, it becomes less and less of a concern since it's around a smaller portion of it. SCHs are also much more common in women with prior pregnancies or who have done IVF. Modified bedrest can be recommended but doesn't really have much scientific backing one way or the other. For me that was just a 10lb lifting restriction and no working out until 20 weeks, then just low intensity for the rest of pregnancy. You obviously wouldn't even have that be recommended.

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• bblair24bblair24 member
    edited September 2020
    @kvh22 I guess it makes sense that I’d get one this time, since it’s my 4th time around! She didn’t mention the specific location of it, so I guess it’s not a danger to the placenta. Both the tech and the PA asked if I’ve had any bleeding, which luckily I haven’t. She did say if I experience any to go ahead and call them and they’ll do another US to monitor things. I’m hoping I can just ride it out without having any bleeding - not sure my nerves can handle that. Thank you for the information! I didn’t really want to get on google so I appreciate you sharing your experience and knowledge with me! ❤️
  • Loading the player...
  • mommeleonmommeleon member
    edited September 2020
    An update on my first midwife appointment as well as first ultrasound. I don't want to upset anyone if this isn't the right spot to post.

TW......

Well I had my ultrasound today. My gestational sac is very small, and is measuring about 6 weeks (i'm supposed to be just over 9). No visible fetus, no heart beat. I've had some bleeding over the past week, and had talked to my midwife at my first appointment on Tuesday and she didn't seem too concerned. Last night and this morning I had a lot of cramping, with much heavier bleeding.

I will have another ultrasound in about a week to see how things are then. DH and I are very sad, but hopeful that we will be successful again in the near future. It's been nice to see all the ladies here PGAL, and I guess, hopefully, that will be me again soon 💕💕

• @mommeleon I’m so very sorry that you have to go through that. Please take care of yourself.  Wishing you all the best. ❤️
  • @mommeleon I am so sorry. Thinking of you.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @mommeleon, I’m so sorry. ❤️ Take care of yourself! I’ll be thinking of you!
  • @kelseyyh 4/20 due date club!!!!!! Wooohoo!!!!! Yay for a great appointment!!
  • Oy slowly catching up, sorry y’all. 
    @mommeleon I’m so sorry <3
  • @mamabee1113 you better not leave! ;)
  • hugs to you, @mommeleon <3 please take care of yourself.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I’m SO sorry @mommeleon <3<3<3 Please take care sweet mama, I wish you didn’t have to go through this. Thinking of you <3
  • @mommeleon I am so sorry you are going through this. Please take care of yourself. <3
  • @mommeleon That is very tough news to hear.  Hugs <3

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @mommeleon I'm so sorry to hear this. Hugs to you ❤
  • @mamabee1113 please stay!! 

@aisukurimsarang well I hope that the current baby handles the bottle during the day well! And that things stay on a healthy track for you too!
  • @mommeleon so sorry to hear about your ultrasound. Take care of yourself, hugs and prayers headed your way!
  • @mommeleon I’m so sorry to hear this. Take care of yourself and hugs and thoughts and prayers for you and your husband. 💜
  • @mommeleon I'm so very sorry <3 Thinking of you.

• @mommeleon, I'm so sorry you have to experience this. 2020 is a blechy year. *hugs*
  • Ok ladies, I failed my 1 hour glucose test with a glucose of 154. Am I destined to fail the 3 hour?
  • @bbrahmbhatt I’m really not sure. I never had GD with my other pregnancies. How are you doing with morning sickness? If it’s not too bad, maybe just try lowering carbs until the three hour test and see if that helps? But if that’s the case maybe you’d need to do that the whole pregnancy. Good luck!!
  • @bbrahmbhatt, with DD1 I failed the one hour and passed the 3 hour. Failing the 1 hour doesn’t mean you’re doomed to fail the 3! 

With DD2 I failed both. But that wasn’t the case the first time. I hope you pass with no issue! 
  • @bbrahmbhatt My office goes straight to the 2 hour - it's once and definitive instead of making ppl do 1 then 3. There are so many false positives for the 1hr apparently that are fine for the 3hr. I forget (although I know someone had mentioned taking an early test b/c of prior history) but this is early for a GD test. Are you higher risk for GD?

• @bbrahmbhatt, with DS1 I failed the 1 hr and passed the 3hr. With DS2, I failed the 1hr by 16 pointa, and the 3 hour by 2. 

My recommendation is to have protein rich meals the day before the 3hr. At about 1150pm, drink a protein shake, like Premier. It'll give your BS a boost and keep it there all night. 

Pregnant women have blood sugar spikes if they go too long between meals, which will cause an inflated fasting draw. If the fasting draw is off, so is the rest of the test. GL! Being GD isn't the worst thing in the world. There are plenty of foods that will keep it low, and you can still have days where you're naughty. The finger pricking is what sucks. 
  • @mommeleon I'm so sorry- thinking about you and hope you're able to take care of yourself right now
  • @bbrahmbhatt I failed the 1 hr with my son and passed the 3 hour. I actually went for a good long walk during my wait for the 3 hour one because I heard it could help.
  • juliebird6juliebird6 member
    edited September 2020
    @bbrahmbhatt I'm echoing @kvh22 - it seems extremely early for a GD test, unless you have other risk factors at play. My OB doesn't do this until much later - I think not until 28 weeks for the 1 hour!
  • @kvh22 @juliebird6 yes, I thought it was early. I am 35 and overweight and my maternal grandmother had diabetes. I did some research (ofc) and according to the ACOG site, OBs can recommend it earlier if you have risk factors, which include age, family history and being overweight. So, I'm guessing that's why she ordered it. 
  • Had another appointment yesterday and my due date changed AGAIN! I'm back to 4/4 which makes me 12+4 today. So close to 2nd trimester woohoo! 

The doctor I saw yesterday (first time seeing her - this practice has 8 female doctors) finally gave me an answer about my request to not have residents participate in my care during labor/delivery and she said its just not possible. But a friend I know goes to another office of the same hospital group and she said a request to not have residents is 100% honored at her practice and she's delivered two babies with them and on her third pregnancy. 

I really hated how the doctor was communicating this to me yesterday - it seems like its my body and I should absolutely have the right to say I don't want someone who has not fully completed their training to perform procedures on my body, so needless to say, I am going to switch practices.

Everything else went well though - heartbeat 169 and she said baby is looking healthy! Baby was moving around a lot! We could see the heartbeat, but couldn't hear it. She said that was totally normal and nothing to worry about, she was certain the heartbeat looked good. 
  • @theblondebump I’m jealous of how close you are to the 2nd and how far away it still seems for me. 

And I would 100% switch practices over that. I agree it doesn’t seem right and that should be your choice. With my last, I had a choice of 3 hospitals, one of which was a learning hospital, and I specifically chose not to deliver there because of that. 
  • @BuckeyeNut05 I feel like I was being more than reasonable, I explained that I understood obviously if it were an emergency, or even for something routine like just checking how many cm I'm dilated or something, but for full on procedures, I wanted only an attending doctor to perform and they even said that an attending would be supervising the resident. And I said if an attending is there to supervise, why can I just have the attending perform the procedure? And the doctor was just kind of being a bitch. So I was like mmmmk and then today I called and switched practices. Same hospital, same umbrella group, but different office.