TTC After a Loss
Options

Questions about TTC after a D&C

I’m having a D&C this week. The HB stopped around week 8: one day it was there and two days later it was gone. Growth was also not up to speed. The HB was slow and growth showed about 7weeks when I was 9. 
I know I’m supposed to wait to TTC until my doctor says it’s ok. I’m just looking for any stories of people who’ve been in the same boat and if they’ve had any early success or where they are in the process.
any support or info would be great!
-Lyndsay 

Re: Questions about TTC after a D&C

• Options
    edited September 2020
    @lynem29 First, I'm sorry for your loss.  I also had a D&C for my first loss.   

As for your question.  Please PLEASE make sure you follow your doctors advice and bench yourself the amount of time that they recommend!  (Or longer if you feel you physically/emotionally need more time)  Also, I personally highly recommend temping (and reading Taking Charge of Your Fertility if you haven't yet), as after a MC your body can do some petty wonky stuff, and it can take up to a year for your body to regulate out to a 'new normal.'  Finally, please do NOT get your hopes up about getting PG right away after a MC.  There's a lot of bad information out there about how you can be super fertile the first few cycles after a MC, and honestly it's pretty much all garbage.  It does nothing but get your hopes up during a time when you're emotionally vulnerable, and often desperately wanting to be PG again, and then when you find out you're not KU in a few cycles, you end up in a huge depression cycle.  

Best advice is to take some time for yourself over the next few months while you're benched and do not try to 'rush the process' even though you may want to.  
    #BitterHagPartyOf1

Melody Pond GIF
  • Options
    TW: LC mentioned

I had two losses that both required D&C. Both after seeing heartbeats. 

I’m a special case in that I have gotten pregnant almost every cycle we tried/didn’t prevent. There is a subset of women who they hypothesize are “super fertile” recurrent loss moms, whose uteruses accept every embryo, good or bad, after fertilization. I suspect when you read the stories of women being “more fertile” after loss, that this is probably at play. It’s not a fun club to be in. I did go on to conceive and deliver two LC since my D&C’s. 

For most women, it will be your run-of-the-mill 20% chance of pregnancy each month with good timing after a loss. A D&C should have not bearing on your future fertility in most circumstances and typically speeds the loss process along. 

I’m so sorry for your loss. To see a heartbeat and then not see one anymore is a special kind of hell. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am so sorry for your loss, I know the pain you’re in right now and just wanted to encourage you that things really do get easier with time!
    My hubby & I had an unplanned, unexpected pregnancy in April & were of course thrilled. However they detected no HB at my 10 week ultrasound. Baby measured over 10 weeks.
    My OBGYN told me to wait at least 2 full cycles before I started TTC, but I never had regular cycles after going off the pill in January- in fact I didn’t even get a period!! The gyno who performed my D&C told me to TTC immediately after healing form the D&C.
    We have been “trying” since beginning of July and nothing yet. But I’m happy because I just had my first ever period a few weeks ago since January, so that’s exciting! I however have not been charting anything at all, which might sound crazy, but it actually stresses me out to do so. I’d rather just enjoy sex with my hubby in the meantime and know that one day I’ll be blessed with another baby!
    Hang in there!!! And know time truly does heal. I wish you the best of luck going forward!!