February 2021 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight: Breast Pumps and Accessories

What did you have and did you love it or hate it... Tell us why

Re: Product Spotlight: Breast Pumps and Accessories

• Options
    First thing first, if you live in the US and have insurance, the Affordable Care Act requires insurance companies to cover the cost of a breast pump for first time moms and for moms who haven’t bought a new pump in a while (I forget the number of years). Do it, and save yourself $100+. Go to the website Aeroflow ( https://aeroflowbreastpumps.com/ ) to get the process started. They say to wait until viability to start the process (around 27 weeks) because some insurance companies will deny coverage earlier than that. I did this two years ago with DS and it was super easy. Never paid a dime for my pump.

I used the Spectra S2 and loved it as much as you can love a pump. It’s the runaway favorite of moms in exclusively pumping groups (for ftms, that’s people who don’t nurse at the breast for any number of reasons, and instead pump in place of every nursing session every day...so they know a thing or two about pumping). I did not pump exclusively, just everyday at work, during missed nursing sessions due to date nights and things, and a few extra times early on to increase my supply. The Spectra is really adjustable (both speed and rhythm) and very quiet. It’s a closed system, meaning that milk only goes through parts that are removable, washable and replaceable. Comparably priced pumps are open systems which opens the door for bacteria and mold if you’re not very diligent. 
    The difference between the Spectra S1 and the S2 is that the S2 uses a power adapter plugged in, whereas the S1 runs off rechargeable battery. The S1 is slightly heavier and slightly louder than the 2, but is a good option for people who travel frequently and need to pump in airports and other places. You can use a car adapter for the S2 (I used it that way multiple times and never felt the need for a battery-run one, but I also didn’t ever fly without DS while he was nursing).
  • Options
    @hannahbananas11 yesss thank you for this review of S1 vs S2! I am def getting a Spectra this time around and am leaning towards the S1 bc I pump at work. 

I had the Medela Pump In Style (which was cover through my insurance- I used Aeroflow to help me order it!) and it was very easy to use. There’s minimal you have to do- it automatically starts in let down mode then switches to regular pumping mode about 2 mins in (you can extend or shorten if you need to just by hitting a button). The knob to adjust the strength of the pumping mode is convenient- I just left it in the position that I needed so I didn’t have to adjust it every time. 
    Cons- I thought it was very noisy. Also the fact that I was tethered to it bc I had to have it plugged in was an annoyance at home as well as when I was pumping at work- only certain places had outlets. 

I also tried the Freemies- they were okay for me and I was able to hook it up to my Medela. I felt that it wasn’t as strong as the Medla PIS and didn’t empty me as well. This was also 3 years ago, so I’m sure they have changed the design since then to hopefully be more effective!

I had the Medela hands free pump as well- this was good in a pinch (aka I brought it with me to a NFL game and pumped in the bathroom🤣), but I wouldn’t use it all the time. 

Also very helpful were the Medela sterilizer bags- at the end of the day when coming home from work with all my pump parts and bottles, using these made cleaning/sterilizing so much quicker!

I’m looking to get a Haaka this time around too to use on my other boob when BFing to catch any excess leakage. Anyone have experience with it yay or nay?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    So a little note about the Affordable Care Act. Companies can be granfathered in to not covering pumps 100% if they provide their own plan (like they keep your deductible and pay out of their own bank account). I think this is pretty rare but it was the case with my last job. A breast pump was considered “durable medical equipment” and was covered at 80/20 after I met my deductible. That job laid me off at 6 months pregnant but gave me 5 days notice so I ordered my pump in those 5 days and made them cover at least most of it. I hopped on my H’s insurance plan after that which covered 100% according the the ACA and I actually ended up with 2 pumps and only had to pay 20% of the first one. I believe the time between free pumps is 2 years. 

On to actual pumps: I got the Medela pump in style. I did not exclusively pump but I did pump a lot (at work and I had an oversupply so I pumped between feeding sometimes). My first insurance wouldn’t cover a spectra because they considered it a hospital grade pump. I had no problems with the Medela and will be using it again. It plugs into the wall, you can use a car charger (I did this a lot on the way to work), or you can use a battery pack. The battery pack is not my favorite because it uses 8 AA batteries and I don’t think the suction is as good and the batteries run out after only a few sessions. But it’s good enough in a pinch. 

Manual pumps:
    I had a Medela hand pump that I didn’t really like and a hakkaa (spelling?) style pump that didn’t work for me. But I had an oversupply and I would have had to use a hand pump for like an hour to actually empty my boobs and ain’t nobody got time for that with a newborn. 

Just throwing nursing pads in the mix. I really liked my reusable/washable ones. The disposables felt like diapers on my nipples and I hated that. My SIL swears by the disposables bc she said she leaked a lot and the reusable ones weren’t absorbant enough for her.  Maybe this should have gone in the thread of nursing/pumping bras (if we do one of those). 
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    @szwill86 YESSSSSS to the Haaka!!! Oh my god, it’s awesome. Especially early on when you have a stronger letdown before your body regulates. I’d attach it to the side that DS wasn’t nursing, and without doing anything it would collect around 1oz of breastmilk just from letdown. If I messaged that side while DS nursed the other, I sometimes got 2 oz from one side. It doesn’t seem like much, but it adds up! I’d freeze them in 2oz portions, and it was an easy way to save up a few bottles worth without really working at it! 
    It was also nice when DS was spreading out his nursing times at night (like, waking up every 1.5 hours to waking up every 4 hours). If I had rock boob, I could use the haaka to express just enough milk to be comfortable without messing up my body’s self regulation.
    ETA: lots of moms in my F19 group loved the haaka, but it didn’t work well for a few. I think it’s like pumps in that some bodies don’t respond as readily to some pumps as others. But it’s cheap, like $20, so I’d definitely try it out because it’s really awesome if it does work for you.

@moguippy I agree on the nursing pads. I liked Bamboobies. I did use disposable early on because my letdown was so strong. I’d be driving and suddenly DS would cry in his carseat and within 5 minutes I’d soak through a Bamboobies. The disposable were like maxi pads. Bulky, but good for the early days of heavy flow. LOL

Also, for anyone having a boy: disposable pads work well as a pee catcher. Just set one over his penis while you change diapers, and it’ll at least catch some of the pee. This works until baby starts to grab it and throw it off. :lol:
  • Options
    spectra S2
    This was my first pump and I thought it worked awesome. Used it 3x a day at work. The settings were customizable and easy to understand. I'm not sure if this is still true, but the couple times I forgot parts I had to go home to get them because they weren't sold in stores. This was my main pump for DD1, and eventually I went back to it for DD2. It always worked well and my guess is if I turned it on now it would still be working great. 

spectra s9
    I got this with DD2 and while it was so small and portable and awesome it wasn't as powerful as the S2. If you only need a pump for when out and about here and there then yes this one is great, but if you need a work horse I would get something else.

medela harmony hand pump
    This little thing saved my butt a few times (see me forgetting parts) and is sold in most target/walgreens etc. It works wonderfully and can fit if your purse for a night out. I ended up with one I always kept at work and one at home/travel.

haaka
    This is not an actual pump! This suctions onto your boob that you are not nursing/pumping and catches letdown (which during my first pregnancy was just soaked up with a towel and wasted). The amount you get will vary person to person but I usually got an ounce at a time to stash away. Eventually you wont notice leaking as much and won't need this but it sure was great in the beginning of nursing.

***At some point you may notice your pump isn't as effective as usual, you may need to buy new valves, this is normal and not something I was aware of the first time around
  • Options
    Also, I’ll say this a ton of times on this board, but if you plan to nurse and are a FTM, I highly highly highly recommend seeing a lactation consultant at least once or twice at the very beginning. Lots of hospitals now have them on staff and rotating in the postpartum ward. They’ll save you a ton of anxiety. Here are the things mine helped me figure out:
    1. How to get my son to latch so that it wouldn’t hurt (a poor latch hurts sooooo bad after a while).
    2. Noticed my son had a tongue tie that was keeping him from getting a good latch. Had a pediatric oral surgeon fix it and it was a huge difference.
    3. Showed me how to hold my son while nursing so that I wouldn’t get back problems from bad posture.
    4. Weighed my son before a nursing session and then immediately after (this is called a weighted feed) to see how much milk he was transferring.
    5. Suggested a specific nursing schedule to increase my supply early on.
    6. I texted her a few months into nursing when I got really sick, to seek advice on how to keep nursing through illness.
    7. I never had mastitis or a clogged duct, but LCs are really great at helping resolve those and knowing when you need to get antibiotics to clear them.

My insurance (Aetna) covered up to 10 visits, I think. I only needed 3 visits to feel totally confident. I went from sobbing in the hospital because my son wouldn’t latch, to nursing him until 13 months. The LC was one of the things that changed my entire outlook and mental health as a new mom.
  • Options
    I used the haaka especially at first while I was on maternity leave and would get 2-3 oz out of the boob I wasn’t feeding on, it gave me a good stash for going back to work without pumping in between feeding sessions.

For my actual pump I used a medela pump in style with the freemie cups. I loved being able to just slip the cups in my shirt, it made it so much easier at work. Although my medela worked well I am thinking of going even more convenient this time and have some friends that have the Willow and love it.
  • Options
    Second the recommendation for an LC ! I saw one a couple days after I had my first and felt reassured that my daughter was nursing successfully. They’re so helpful and have so many tips and tricks and tools to help. 

We should do a post on breastfeeding for ftm at some point because even though I had minimal issues , I will never forget crying the hardest I ever cried during that first week home. It was so hard to figure out how to get her to latch and it felt impossible and I was bleeding and had bruises and was dreading every feed. This lasted a very short time and improved day by day but man it can be tough with that first baby. 

I love the lansinoh soothies gel pads. I kept them in the fridge and they felt so nice in between those first few days of nursing sessions. 

I had a medela PISA but I bfed primarily so I can’t say much about it other than it worked and was fine. I got a manual pump ... I think it was medela also and I really enjoyed the satisfaction of the manual one 🤣. But also I only had to do it pretty infrequently. 

I’m going to get a new one this time around! I don’t anticipate using it much but I like having it on hand just in case. 
  • Options
    @birdiejo Yes to the FTM nursing thread. Honestly, if it weren't for the stm and stm+ in my F19 bmb, I would've been in such a bad place mentally postpartum. I remember sitting on the couch and crying late at night in that first week when my son wouldn't go to sleep and he just kept crying and wanting to nurse constantly. And I posted about it to my bmb FB group, and within minutes one of the ttms (who's now training to become a lactation consultant!) told me all about cluster feeding, and about how it's normal and a healthy part of baby's development, and that to get comfy with a Netflix show to binge, and that it would pass after a few hours. I can't explain how relieved I felt when I read that. It still sucked to be up nursing nonstop late into the night, but it was so much more manageable once I understood what was happening and that it was a passing phase, and not forever (everything feels like it'll be forever in those first weeks).
    We should do a couple threads for FTMs to ask any questions, and maybe once we're into the third trimester a thread of "Things that I Wish I Had Known: Labor and Delivery" that'll go through all the details of things that can happen so people can mentally prepare. The main reason for me joining this group (besides the incredible feeling of support during postpartum when we're all up motn with crying babies and venting to each other on Facebook LOL) is to give the support to the FTMs here that I got when I was a FTM on my first bmb. I cannot imagine going through postpartum as a first time mom without this kind of support.
  • Options
    @hannahbananas11 and @birdiejo Yes to the ftm nursing thread! As a ftm this thread on pumps is already equally helpful and overwhelming at the same time! I had no idea there were so many things to consider.
  • Options
    FTM, but one of my co-workers also highly recommended getting a Haakaa.  

Another also informed me that the disposable bra liners are a waste of money and to just buy 1-2 sets of the machine washable ones and move on with my life.
    Me: 34 | DH: 46
    SD: 21 & SS: 17
    BFP #2 6/3/2020

*Trigger Warning*
    TTC 6/13/2015 | BFP #1 5/14/2017 | MMC 7/28/2017 (Trisomy 18) | IL + D&C 8/4/2017

• Options
    babymamadimobabymamadimo member
    edited September 2020
    I exclusively pumped for 13 months so if anyone has questions on pumping I’m your girl!

i used the medela pump in style (I think that’s what it is called) that I got for free through insurance but I plan to get the spectra s1 this time. I had 4 sets of medela parts so that I didn’t have to wash them multiple times a day. I had a car adapter because I travel a lot for work and I would pump and drive (probably highly frowned upon). I would hook up before I left my driveway and turn the pump off after 20 mins, but not take them off until I was at my destination.

I highly recommend a hands free pumping bra. I would pump while on conference calls, bottle feeding my son my last pump, or just look at pictures on my phone of my son while pumping at the work office. Hands free bras will change your life! You can really massage well and produce more that way too.
  • Options
    Re: the hands free pumping bra that @babymamadimo mentions. Yes. It's such a useful thing. This is the one I got, and it worked really well. It's very adjustable (the entire back is just one big velcro thing) so it'll fit almost anyone. I believe the same bra is also available in a plus size version.

I also got a spare set of bottles, flanges and valves. It made it a lot easier.

Also info for FTMs that you can make note of and then set aside for later: Speaking of flanges (that's the part that cups your breast), rarely do the ones that come with the pump fit you correctly. Often you have to buy a larger or smaller size depending on the size of your nipples/areolas. You can read up on it right now (just google "pump flange sizing"), but you'll probably be better off noting this now, then figuring it out once you actually have the baby and start pumping. The nipple can change a lot between now and milk coming in, so don't go crazy buying flanges just yet. An LC can also help you figure out the right flange size (mine had me test out different ones during an appointment so she could see what fit best). Basically if you use the wrong size, it can be uncomfortable, and you might not get a lot of milk because it's not pumping in the ideal way. So just note this, and when you start pumping, look to make sure you've got a good fit and if not, figure out your size and order that size from Amazon or wherever you prefer.

@manditchka24 oh gosh, yes, there's so much info that gets thrown at you during pregnancy and it seems everyone has differing thoughts. My advice? Take only the info that you need right now (what pump to add to your list of things to get) and deal with the rest (how to size the flanges, how to even use the pump) later. It's kinda like planning a trip. Some people like to spend hours looking at every littlest part of the trip, reviews, restaurant menus, and ticket reservations beforehand and make a crazy detailed itinerary, and some people just get on a flight with nothing packed, show up and hope for the best. I'd say go the middle route. Have an idea of the main attractions you want to see, and know where to go to find good information on those so you have a reference when you need it. But don't stress out trying to plan it all down to the hour before you even get there to see what it's like in person.
  • Options
    I used a “wet bag” for pump parts and stored them in my cooler or the fridge so I wouldn’t wash between uses. Then I would wash all of them at the end of the day. I put everything in my dishwasher since it has a sanitize function and only sterilized in the beginning and every so often. I also kept a complete set of pump parts in my desk at work. And throw the wet bag in the washer and hang to dry

Wet bag link: (anything similar will work)
    ALVABABY 2pcs Cloth Diaper Wet Dry Bags Waterproof Reusable with Two Zippered Pockets Travel Beach Pool Daycare Soiled Baby Items Yoga Gym Bag for Swimsuits or Wet Clothes L2933 https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B075CYYJCK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_rmTvFbFK6HXH3

Yes to the different size flanges. I am not the standard size that comes with the pump. And HUGE yes to the hands free pumping bra. I used a style that was a dual nursing/pumping bra that I wore all day, not one that I put on just for pumping. But that was my preference. 

As for LC’s, I have mixed feelings. I saw one in the hospital before I left and while she showed me a bunch of great positions to hold baby and tips to combat his “lazy eating”, one thing she said is the reason I had a huge oversupply. Also, my pediatrician office has an LC on staff. They will schedule your newborn checkups at a time when she is there if you want to see her and it’s free. Something to ask when you start looking for pediatricians, if that interests you.  
  • Options
    Semi related... My office of 150 people shared 1 fridge 🙄 so I got myself one of these! It fit pump parts and kiinde pouches for the day and I didn't have to worry about a cooler staying cold. Also it has a car adapter that I used for a few work trips (nice to have for hotel too). Look for deals closer to black friday/Christmas

• Options
    @hannahbananas11 thank you! That is very helpful advice!
  • Options
    @manditchka24 @birdiejo @hannahbananas11 absolutely agree that a FTMs thread would be great. I've already come back to this thread at least three times to try to digest. So much helpful information, but wow, so much to learn!

• Options
    @manditchka24 @birdiejo @hannahbananas11 I would also love a nursing thread! I have it on my list to ask my doctor for a prescription for a pump at my next appt so this thread was right on time for me. 

I'm curious if anyone else has had to pump a lot in their car or on the go. I work in business to business sales so once corona has run its course I will be back out on the road for most of the day. I'm worried mostly about milk storage in my car while I'm inside visiting clients. Current plan is to use our yeti cooler and ice packs(?) but I'm so worried already about losing milk. My office is out of my house and when I'm making sales calls I don't typically return home until I'm done for the day. 
    Me: 31 Husby: 36
    Married May 2014
    TTC # 2  Since December 2021
    Baby girl W born 2/2021
    Our journey so far...
    (tw loss & infertility)
    Diagnosis: Poor Egg Quality 
    Working with an RE since March 2016
    2 failed TI cycles
    3 failed IUI cycles

IVF Feb - April 2017
    23 eggs collected, 20 mature, 14 fertilized with ICSI, 4 day 3 blasts, 3 day 5 blasts, 1 PGS normal
    Transferred 1 PGS normal embryo 4.12.17
    BFP 4.21.17
    MMC due to small gestational sac 6.8.17

Our adoption journey:
    12.25.18 Agency picked and apps submitted!
    5.1.19 Adoption on hold so we can buy a house! 
    1.1.20 Homestudy process started
    3.14.20 First social worker visit
    5.25.20 Homestudy Approved & Submitted to Agency

6.1.20 Surprise! Positive pregnancy test!
    Healthy baby girl born 2/10/2021

• Options
    @tamalahoops you should be good to go with the yeti cooler and ice packs. Those coolers are so good, and milk will for sure still be a safe temp at the end of the day. I go camping and keep raw meat and things like that in a cooler, and it’ll stay good for a whole weekend.
  • Options
    @tamalahoops I pumped almost every day In the car on the way to work for like 6 months. I generally didn’t put anything in the fridge at work. I bought a 16 can cooler and stuffed it with a massive ice pack on the bottom (like from hello fresh or a meal kit service), then a 6 can ice pack in the middle, then some thin ice packs around the outside. It was overkill but my milk was still ice cold by the end of the day. (Although it was kept inside in an office and not in a car which I would assume would get hot in the summer depending on where you live.)  I was able to fit all those ice packs plus 6 bottles plus my wetbag of pump parts in the cooler.  If I needed more bottles I would transfer the milk to bags and reuse the bottles. I usually ended up transferring the milk to bags anyway bc I froze most of my milk and “rotated stock”. And by transferring the milk to bags while I was pumping at work saved me time later by not having to do it at home.  Now let me say, this method took me a few weeks to perfect. It is just what worked for me and my situation. I didn’t want to be washing pump parts in the office kitchen sink, hence the wet bag. I didn’t want to be storing milk in the office fridge, hence the cooler. It’s gonna take a little while to figure out what works for you. If you have a yeti cooler I would say definitely use it! If you are super worried about losing milk, practice with some water first. (Start with warm water since milk comes out warm). Use a bunch of ice packs to cool it down and then see if it stays cold enough. The few times I had to pump on the go and was not at the office I would bring the cooler in with me. It just kind of looks like a big lunch box. Or leave it in the car if it was cool enough. Also, I would try to limit the times I opened it so it would stay colder. 

cooler (I took the hard plastic liner out):
    Coleman 16-Can Soft Cooler with Removable Liner, Grey https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B006HFBNYO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_NI5vFbXV4DQ9Q

Can/bottle ice pack: (you can find these in the grocery store or wherever for a few dollars, doesn’t have to be specifically for breast milk bottles)
    Ice Pack for Breastmilk Storage - Mommy Knows Best Reusable Ice Pack for Lunch Box - Contoured Shaped Fits Around Breast Milk Bottles and Keeps Your Breast Milk Fresh https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07DJVMCSM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_mK5vFbAQYVV4J

This ended up being really long. Sorry. 
  • Options
    I checked the aeroflow website with my insurance info and there’s kind of a variety there. Spectra 2 is solid ? I don’t really want to buy the same pump I had (medela Pisa) just for the purpose of variety. 
  • Options
    @hannahbananas11 I had the same bra! I actually had 4 of them and wore it during delivery.

I was scared to tell the lc that I wanted to exclusively pump because I had heard horror stories about them being rude if you didn’t want to traditionally breast feed, but I had to go back to work at 7 weeks pp and wanted my son to be used to bottles from the beginning. She was SO nice to me and showed me how to use my pump in the hospital, so I recommend bringing it just so they can show you how to use it even if you never end up needing to use it.

@tamalahoops I am on the road 80% of my work day and I just used one of the medela cooler ice packs and cooler and I never had a problem with milk getting warm. I stored it under my seat when I was visiting with customers just so that it wasn’t in the direct sun on my seat. I had a huge oversupply too so I was pumping a ton of milk in the car and once I got my routine down it was second nature to pump and drive.
  • Options
    @tamalahoops a yetti cooler should work great for the day!
  • Options
    @babymamadimo That's a great idea to bring your pump with you to the hospital so that they can show you how it works. I had no clue how a pump operated or what the parts were for until I actually had to pump. Then I was like "heyyyyy Youtube! Help a gal out!" :lol: It would've been less stressful if I had someone walk me through using it at the beginning. Though my LC was really helpful in getting the right fit for a flange and getting the ideal speed/rhythm settings on my pump.
  • Options
    @birdiejo I'd go with the Spectra S2! It seems that the Pisa and the S2 are the two most common ones, so that will give you a good idea of which one works best for you.

I'll be fully SAHM for this one (after an 8 week leave, I worked full time with DS until he was 6 months old) so I won't be pumping much, probably just to get a little freezer stash going for whenever we have a babysitter over. I'll probably just stick with my S2 and order some new valves and tubes.
  • Options
    Just to add to all the suggestions- if whatever pump you choose allows you to switch out the valves, get the duck bill ones instead of the membrane flap ones (like what’s in the Medela pumps)! For some reason, the output is better with the duck bills and they are easier to clean. Don’t know if it was mentioned, but remember to replace the valves/hosing etc. every month or so if you pump more than once a day, and every 2-3 months if you pump once a day!
  • Options
    @hannahbananas11 yes I’ll be doing it similarly. I’ll mostly just need it for backup for when I need to be out of the house! Thanks! 
  • Options
    You guys rock! Thank you for the suggestions & reassurance! 
    Me: 31 Husby: 36
    Married May 2014
    TTC # 2  Since December 2021
    Baby girl W born 2/2021
    Our journey so far...
    (tw loss & infertility)
    Diagnosis: Poor Egg Quality 
    Working with an RE since March 2016
    2 failed TI cycles
    3 failed IUI cycles

IVF Feb - April 2017
    23 eggs collected, 20 mature, 14 fertilized with ICSI, 4 day 3 blasts, 3 day 5 blasts, 1 PGS normal
    Transferred 1 PGS normal embryo 4.12.17
    BFP 4.21.17
    MMC due to small gestational sac 6.8.17

Our adoption journey:
    12.25.18 Agency picked and apps submitted!
    5.1.19 Adoption on hold so we can buy a house! 
    1.1.20 Homestudy process started
    3.14.20 First social worker visit
    5.25.20 Homestudy Approved & Submitted to Agency

6.1.20 Surprise! Positive pregnancy test!
    Healthy baby girl born 2/10/2021

• Options
    I think I’m going to splurge and get the Willow since I will be pumping at work so soon after baby is born. 
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    @andylandy511 one thing to note about the Willow and similar hands free pumps: my friends in my last BMB who have it noted that it’s noticeably less powerful than the standard pumps and results in less output for them. They mainly use it when they don’t have enough time for a full pumping session, or have to pump on the go and won’t be sitting in one place for long, and don’t use it for ever pumping session. You may want to consider also getting a regular pump to have and use at least once or twice during workdays just to be sure that you’re getting all of the milk and not hurting your supply early on.
  • Options
    @hannahbananas11 ooh thanks for that info!! I do have a spectra from my first that’s still working, so planning to use them both. I’ve joined a few Facebook support groups for the willow as well, there are a lot of tips and tricks on there!
  • Options
    Yiggle09Yiggle09 member
    edited September 2020
    Hey guys long time no check in. Lurking from march group. I just wanted to second the aeroflow website. I suggest the bravado pumping bra it hooks onto your nursing bra. I prefer it over the medela bra because you have to hold both sides and cups on usually with like your wrists to zip the medela bra up and there isn't any upward support like you get with your bra straps. My left boob has a tight fold on the inner part and I felt the area didn't get drained well with the medela bra compressing instead of holding the cups to you. For those who will be traveling I suggest the medela freestyle it has an amazing suction and battery life. Also the medela pump has a brand new design just released this month. It's the medela pump in style with max flow. I chose to go with that and bought a second hand freestyle as I had given everything away thinking i was done with babies. Both are "closed systems " so no milk transfer from another woman unlike the old pump in style advance. I know people love spectra but I didn't respond to it. I need it "rough" lol spectra is supposedly more similar to the child's drinking habits. It has a vibration as opposed to medela that is more like a tug suction motion. If I could have a medela symphony I would be in heaven it's the pump most hospitals have in the maternity room. There are also things called pumping pals they are angled flanges instead of the straight madonna poke your eye out cups this way you don't have to lean forward while pumping you could relax back in the chair instead. I second the duck bill valves they make a considerable difference and are easier to clean. Make sure to change them every three months. Don't forget to inspect them because a break in them will reduce suction. Collect your parts in a wet bag / ziploc and refrigerate for the day so you save yourself cleaning and packing. Always pack a towel or paper towels because sometimes milk will pool in the cup and not go down to the bottle and when you pull it off your chest the milk will fall. Also sometimes your fingers are clumsy something drops there goes your pants. Edited to say use coconut oil instead of lanolin and use the coconut oil on your flanges for lubrication so you don't pump dry. I feel lanolin is very thick hard to spread on sensitive nipples. I also don't like that it's an animal product from sheep oil secreted by sheep. I prefer coconut oil again because it's a natural anti inflammatory. Rub some of your own breast milk or coconut oil for sore cracked nipples. 
  • Options
    Questions about the Medela In style
    is it an open system or a closed system? what parts do you have to clean on it? 
    I had the spectra S2 with my first and i liked it a lot and know it is a closed system. i wanted the S1 this time, but my insurance doesn't cover it they only cover the Medela  (We have switched insurance since the first)
    I still have my s2 so I can use that as well but I was going to get one pump to leave at work and one to leave at home because i HATED lugging everything back and forth and then having to plug it all in etc so I just wanted to leave one in each place.
    But I don't know much about the Medela or if that would be the best option to leave at work/home etc.

Thanks
  • Options
    @PinkKathryn12 the new medela pump in style with max flow is a closed system the one that comes in a black case specifically called the pump in style advance is not a closed system. The amount of parts to clean is similar to spectra. 
  • Options
    @Yiggle09 thanks! Thanks that helps
    im not sure which one it is but assuming it is the older one 
  • Options
    Old one is the box and it's an open system. new one is the oval white one closed system 
  • Options
    @yiggle09 thanks! I'll have to find out which one it is.

I'm just gonna get it cuz it is free anyway, and if I hate it then i'll just stick solely with my spectra from last time. I just need to replace the parts. It was 2019 anyway, so not that long ago. 
  • Options
    I was so set on trying the Spectra This time but the new Medela looks really nice. I loved my Medela last time, but heard Spectra had better suction.
  • Options
    @babymamadimo I know! I can’t decide now....