February 2021 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight: Baby Carriers

Tell us all about the good, the bad and the ugly. Which carriers did you love, for what and why? Which ones did you hate? Questions about specific carriers?

Re: Product Spotlight: Baby Carriers

• Options
    Oh I like this topic! 

I actually just ordered a Wildbird ring sling the other day.  They were having a sale so I got mine already haha! I had one with my son and sold it afterwards for the same amount I paid. They are gorgeous and nice for around the house baby wearing. 

I will be getting a Lillebaby All Seasons as well because I find the soft structured carriers to be the most versatile. 

I have an Ergobaby and it works well and is a good choice. I’m just hoping for some alternatives and new options for this baby since it’s been four years since my last baby! 
  • Options
    I swore by a ring sling with my second. It was great since he was early—in about two weeks we hit 7 lbs and I wore him until 6 or so months when he was trying to flip out of the sling backwards. It was easier to do with a toddler and needing to keep a hand on him and hold the little one. I kept my slings so I’m looking forward to pulling them out. I sold my Wildbird linen blend but kept one of their structured cotton ones and love my Vienna Springs matkas. I may sell my VS ikat since I didn’t use it as much. I also like the Lillebaby carriers but my second didn’t like them. Once he was mobile, he did better in the stroller. 🤷🏻‍♀️ 

I’ve always had trouble with the wraps... I feel like they are constantly needing adjusting and loosening so I don’t like them as well. My favorite is really the ring sling and I am hoping this baby wants to sling for at least a year or longer. I have scoliosis so both the ring sling and Lillebaby don’t seem to make it worse. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have scoliosis too! I don’t know anyone else who has it. 
  • Options
    I also have scoliosis! But it’s pretty mild and just causes mild back pain. 

I was given a handmedown Ergo and used that with my first (with the infant insert at first). Planning to use that again and only buy something else if he hates it or it doesn’t work while also trying to wrangle a toddler. 
  • Options
    I could never get a secure carry with me Wildbird ringsling with DS. But I LOVED the Solly wraps.

Once DS was above 15 lbs, the Tula carrier became my favorite. I still sometimes carry him in it at 18 months.

For any of you who enjoy hiking anything more than 1 mile, once they’re older than 6 months I strongly recommend a hiking carrier. I’ve got the Deuter Kid Comfort and love it. The Osprey kid carrier is also frequently highly rated. The carriers are much easier on your back than the Tula/Ergobaby kinds, are a lot more breathable for you and the baby in hot weather, plus they have a storage compartment that you can fit a jacket, snacks, map, phone, and water into. We’ve hiked all over Alaska with ours, and can go at our pre-kid speed and distances with this carrier.
  • Options
    I have an Onya carrier with infant insert that I didn't really love at first because I couldn't get my daughter positioned right as an infant. It did work well for my husband and once she was older and not so floppy. 

I'veuI've a ring sling which was nice and quick but takes a little practice to get adjusted right.

I'm  currently really into woven wraps and use them for my 2 yr old and sometimes the 4 yr old too! If you have wrap questions let me know and there's lots of online resources too. I like that you can use one wrap a bunch of different ways
  • Options
    We loved the Beco for soft structured carrier. It was not as hot as the Ergo (we lived in CA at the time, so that was a concern). 

@hannahbananas11 we have the Osprey structured hiking carrier! We waited until DD was 3 to get it and I wish we'd gotten it much sooner. She's 4.5 now and can still ride in it, though this is definitely the last stretch. 
    Rainbow Baby? {2.1.21}
    MC at 8 weeks {EDD 9.2.20}
    Rainbow Girl! {2.28.16}Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby boy, lost at 16 weeks {EDD 6.10.15}

• Options
    @hannahbananas11 we love our Osprey but my oldest hated it and refused to get in it. He wasn’t snuggled and touching us so he would just cry and scream. My second is much happier in it and at least the almost 5 year old is pretty fast these days 😆
  • Options
    @mdfarmchick oh gosh. I don’t know what I’d do if my son didn’t like the hiking carrier. I’d probably lose my mind. Sometimes now he prefers to walk, but at 18 months his hiking is sloooooow and very easily sidetracked by rocks and plants (usually trying to eat them 🤦‍♀️).
  • Options
    @hannahbananas11 my DD is 4.5 and she can hike about 1.5 miles now, but it's still slow and not the same as going at a grown up pace!
    Rainbow Baby? {2.1.21}
    MC at 8 weeks {EDD 9.2.20}
    Rainbow Girl! {2.28.16}Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby boy, lost at 16 weeks {EDD 6.10.15}

• Options
    Oh wow, I too, have scoliosis and was looking at the Baby Bjorn Free I think it's called. It looks like it has a ton of back support & goes til they're 15 mos (tho with my back I'm not sure I'll be carrying them at that age ha). You guys are all giving excellent suggestions I haven't heard of because everyone is paid to advertise the same brands online!
  • Options
    My sister gave me a moby wrap and I really liked it when my son was younger. Then i bought a lillebaby all seasons on sale and LOVED it. He was 11 lbs at birth so his carseat got heavy fast, so I would just baby wear him through the store and things before he was ready for cart sitting. He can still go in it (up to 45 lbs), though I haven't tried now that he is bigger and I am pregnant. He loved to face inward. I would like to back carry him now that he is older.

I would like to get either a new moby wrap or a solly wrap this time. Mostly because my moby was brown and not cute and also showed dog hair like crazy!!! haha, so mostly fashion reasons. 
    I have looked at ring slings but not sure if I would like them or not. 
  • Options
    I love my beco Gemini for probably the first 6-9 months and then I switch to my Lenny lamb. Both allow me to X the straps in the back which helps with my older back injuries. 
  • Options
    I had the Baby K’Tan breeze and I never felt like I had baby securely in it or that he was supported. I always felt like since it was just fabric, he was going to fall out the bottom somehow. I ended up using the Ergo with the infant insert/bolster and felt more comfortable and that baby was better supported, but it was cumbersome to clip the back clips by myself.
  • Options
    If you are going the stretchy wrap route here's some really good tutorials:

https://wrappingrachel.com/2015/12/15/the-complete-stretchy-wrap-resource/