2nd Trimester
Options

Help w/ Quad Test Results

lexy_09lexy_09 member
edited August 2020 in 2nd Trimester
Hi ladies,

I’m hoping to get your thoughts and experiences with the quad screen. I’m 33 y/o and 18 weeks.  I had a quad test done and received a call from the OB’s office and was told that my results show a high risk for Down syndrome. Here are my results: 

Down risk using age alone is 1:407

Down risk (age and lab results) is 1:199

The results indicate a risk for Down Syndrome equal to or greater than a woman age 35.  (Screen cutoff is 1:270)

Can anyone decipher those numbers? I have a perinatal appointment next week and I’d like to have as much background as possible. I also think my OB miscalculated since my FLO pregnancy tracker was always a week over what the doctor predicted. Could that be a factor?

Unfortunately, my OB is of no help and her office has been very unprofessional. I’m thinking of switching depending after next but that’s another post for another time. 

I’ll appreciate any feedback! Thanks.

Re: Help w/ Quad Test Results

• Options
    lexy_09 said:
    Hi ladies,

I’m hoping to get your thoughts and experiences with the quad screen. I’m 33 y/o and 18 weeks.  I had a quad test done and received a call from the OB’s office and was told that my results show a high risk for Down syndrome. Here are my results: 

Down risk using age alone is 1:407

Down risk (age and lab results) is 1:199

The results indicate a risk for Down Syndrome equal to or greater than a woman age 35.  (Screen cutoff is 1:270)

Can anyone decipher those numbers? I have a perinatal appointment next week and I’d like to have as much background as possible. I also think my OB miscalculated since my FLO pregnancy tracker was always a week over what the doctor predicted. Could that be a factor?

Unfortunately, my OB is of no help and her office has been very unprofessional. I’m thinking of switching depending after next but that’s another post for another time. 

I’ll appreciate any feedback! Thanks.

I’m not sure what gestational age has to do with it, but the lab results would suggest you are at a higher risk. But that is not the same as being definitively positive. There is further testing that can be done if you would like, which I’m sure your doctor will discuss with you at your appointment, and possibly even refer you to a genetic counselor to help make that decision.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    @lexy_09 I screened for T13 in my first pregnancy. PLEASE speak with a genetic counselor (some maternal fetal medicine docs are geneticists as well) and not a standard OB to interpret your results and make a decision for further testing or TFMR. Regular OBs do not fully understand the statistical analysis of those results the way a genetic counselor would. Almost all insurance will cover a genetic counselor visit (usually virtual even before the pandemic) when you screen high likelihood for an abnormality. 

**tw**

married 11.1.14

ttc #1 since 5.18

bfp 12.22.18 letrozole + progesterone

d&e due to trisomy 13/hydrops at 15wks

bfp 7.21.19 letrozole + IUI 

little girl A born 3.26.20

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you for sharing your experience and I hope went well with your pregnancy. I have a perinatal appointment tomorrow which includes speaking with a genetic counselor. We are trying to stay positive but it has been a difficult few days of waiting for this appointment. 
  • Options
    I hope things went well for you @lexy_09 - unfortunately that pregnancy ended with a TFMR. If you still feel unclear, ask for another U/S to see if any abnormalities are present and further testing. Def advocate for yourself. 
    **tw**

married 11.1.14

ttc #1 since 5.18

bfp 12.22.18 letrozole + progesterone

d&e due to trisomy 13/hydrops at 15wks

bfp 7.21.19 letrozole + IUI 

little girl A born 3.26.20