January 2021 Moms

Product Spotlight: Strollers

This is a place for FTMs to ask questions about, S+TMs to share their prior experience with, and everyone to share what they're eyeing in the world of maternity, baby and postpartum products. Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product to help streamline and make it easier to refer back. This week we're discussing strollers! 

Please use the prompts below to try to share as much relevant info as you can in a format that is easy for those reading to navigate and respond to.

For S+TMs: 

• Individual (e.g., lifestyle) factors that might influence your choice:
  • Favorite stroller:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • What you like and don't like about it:
  • Is there a stroller you don't have but are considering? Why?:
  • Is there a stroller you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: 
  • Additional thoughts on strollers?:

For FTMs:

• Stroller you're interested in:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • Any questions for S+TMs?:

To view past Product Spotlights or the upcoming schedule, see

here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1P3okZOAvhVpv0_H6D-T4bKxzmuB2ik7mDbbkQARJeNY/edit#gid=0

Re: Product Spotlight: Strollers

• I have a bit of a stroller obsession and spend a lot of time researching and looking at strollers so I feel like this is my time to shine hahaha. 

My current stroller lineup:
    Graco frame stroller -- get something similar that works with your infant carseat. They're cheap and lightweight and are super handy for doctor's appts, running into stores (pre covid I guess), and airplane travel. You don't want to have to take your sleeping newborn out of their carseat to sit in another stroller if you're out and out. This isn't the best stroller for real walking or any rough terrain. 

Graco 'jogging' stroller -- I bought this pre baby because it was on sale on Amazon and it is our most used stroller. Our carseat clips in and I can walk at a fast pace and it handles uneven sidewalks like a champ. DD loves the snack tray with cup holder now. It weighs a TON and is a PITA to take in and out of the car. It mostly lives in my office by the front door.

Uppababy Cruz -- I bought this when DD was getting old enough to get bored sitting in her carseat in the frame stroller. It lives in the trunk of my car. Is very nice and fancy but cannot handle sidewalk bumps. I'm actually somewhat disappointed in it, I don't think it has lived up to the hype or the price. It doesn't get much use but we're also not really going places like I would have expected (thanks covid). 

This is what I've been considering / shopping on marketplace for baby #2 (DD will be 2 when baby is born):

A double bob for neighborhood walks (i'll purchase a carseat adapter) 

Some sort of modular double stroller. I think I've crossed the Vista off my list because they don't make a graco carseat adapter and the rumble seat has a relatively low max weight. So looking at Baby Jogger city select or the Mockingbird double. I'd love anyone's opinions on either! I'm also curious if anyone has a ride along board what age your toddler was cool to stand on it. I've considered just keeping our Cruz and getting a ride along board for DD but I don't know that she'd be cool with it for any amount of time.

woof this got long. I told you I have lots of thoughts on strollers :)  
    Me: 36 DH:41
    DD born 1/3/2019
    EDD for #2 1/28/2021
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I put the Chicco Bravo Trio travel system with stroller and infant car seat on my list after two friends recommended Chicco. It's $379 for both which doesn't seem bad. I really wanted something where the baby could face me or outwards (I dunno maybe all of them have that!) and it sounds sturdy, safe and easy to install the car seat in the car. Has anyone used Chicco before?
  • We have quite a few things but originally we u got the baby jogger city select new with my first, intending to make it a double when we had our second. I didn’t like how bulky it was as a single before our second was here so I ended up getting a used baby jogger city mini gt. I like them both because they have all terrain tires and both steer and ride nicely. I have the car seat adaptor for both (chicco keyfit). I love the city mini because it is light and folds up compactly. I actually use it much more than the city select even though we have two (3 yr and 1 yr) now. If the 3 yr old wants to ride I wear the 1 year old and if the 3 yr old wants to walk the 1 year old rides. We also got the keenz stroller wagon for Christmas last year and have used that a bit. I think I’d love it for outings (if we were going anywhere) and it works fine for long walks too although doesn’t steer quite as nicely as the city select. The boys love riding in it though, more than the stroller. We will probably mostly use the wagon next summer while
    wearing the baby. It folds up pretty compactly too which is nice. 
  • We have the UPPAbaby Vista (stroller) and UPPAbaby Mesa (car seat). Just ordered the rumble seat and adapters to make it into a double stroller for when this nugget joins us. UPPAbaby is silly expensive but we’ve been happy with the products. 
  • I've done a good bit of research and I'm leaning towards the Colugo and adding on the infant kit as well. 
  • We have baby jogger city mini double and we love it. It maneuvers so well, and is much easier to drive than our previous double that was one kid behind the other, and it folds up so easily! We also have a ride along board behind @lacroixliz and all our kids love it. Our two year old can handle it just fine. I have never used this stroller for newborn stage, but I know it has the ability to attach a car seat somehow. 

This is a stroller/car seat question, but has anyone ever owned or used a Doona? The ease is so appealing to me, especially since we already have a double. 
    1st BFP 6/7/10 premature delivery and loss at 22w2d on 10/4/10
    2nd BFP 10/10/11, EDD 6/2/12,natural m/c 10/13/11 at 6w5d
    3rd BFP 12/25/11, DD born 8/31/12
    4th BFP 1/3/14, DD born 9/5/14
    5th BFP 11/15, DS born 7/24/16
    6th BFP 7/14/16, EDD 3/20/18

• @whitealbum29 We have a Chicco Bravo stroller with the Fit2. The car seat is easy to install and sturdy; I think when we went shopping for it more than 2 years ago we found it to be heavier than some of the other ones out there. The stroller is great; I like the bigger wheels to go over grass and stuff like that (like when we used to go to farms and outdoor food festivals in the before times). We like both of them, and plan on buying more of their products.
  • jumpy57jumpy57 member
    edited August 2020
    I also may have a stroller obsession!

uppababy vista
    I purchased this when pregnant with my second daughter. I actually used the bassinet all the time around the house and during a hotel stay for a wedding. It also worked well as a double stroller (my kids are light so the weight limit in front is fine, 35 lb I think). I do have the ride along board and we tested it out with my friend's kiddo while watching a race. We had the two one year olds in the stroller and my three year old on the board and had a great time. Large basket underneath for all the stuff. It's a full size stroller so I wouldn't expect it to be very compact but I have no trouble folding it down or setting it up. You can sometimes find deals on last year's models or used online.

Bob jogger (single)
    This pushes like a dream! Good quality. Folds and opens easily. We used this as our full size stroller for DD1 and sometimes jogging and it worked out just fine.

summerinfant 3D Lite
    I'm far too tall to use the cheap umbrella strollers so this was my light weight go everywhere stroller. Has a very large basket for an umbrella and the seat leans really far back. I wouldn't venture off the sidewalk but that's ok. Good quality.

Burley bike trailer
    I believe I have the D'Lite model for the extra elbow room. I needed a double jogging stroller and we wanted to upgrade our second hand Burly Bee bike only trailer. This is big and kids are heavy so jogging with it is a chore but it works well (any type of jogging stroller with kids is hard). We love that we can bike somewhere with it and then put the stroller wheel down and walk with it. We often use this as our double stroller for camping or if the weather is iffy since we can close it up. Great quality. The wheels pop off and it folds down flat for easy transport

Edit: spelling
  • @savykay do you have any experience w/ the city select? how's the size of the city mini double folded up, does it take up an entire trunk? 
    Me: 36 DH:41
    DD born 1/3/2019
    EDD for #2 1/28/2021
    BabyFruit Ticker

• savykaysavykay member
    edited August 2020
    @lacroixliz I mean, yes and no, as to taking up trunk space.  It folds in half (easily) so it might take up the floor space of your trunk, but it folds pretty flat, so you could still fit plenty in there for a day trip or errands, probably not for a vacation though. 

I don’t have any experience with the city select specifically, but my last stroller was similar in set up (sorry, I don’t remember the brand, it was a gift) but in my opinion those strollers work great for toddler and younger, then get more squished feeling with age, which is why I prefer a side by side. My 8 year old can still comfortably sit in our city mini double when she wants a break from the sun or walking (zoo, Disneyland, pre Covid trips) and my kids are at the ages that they like to take turns walking and sitting. For the record-I have no intentions of putting this baby in there until he is fully capable of sitting by himself, so I don’t know that I would recommend it for a newborn unless you have a crudest adapter, I prefer to baby wear for those first few months. Also the city mini double lays super flat, which is nice for when they fall asleep. 

Edited to add spoiler

All four of my kids asleep after a day at Disney last year in city mini doubles (we rented these ones)

1st BFP 6/7/10 premature delivery and loss at 22w2d on 10/4/10
    2nd BFP 10/10/11, EDD 6/2/12,natural m/c 10/13/11 at 6w5d
    3rd BFP 12/25/11, DD born 8/31/12
    4th BFP 1/3/14, DD born 9/5/14
    5th BFP 11/15, DS born 7/24/16
    6th BFP 7/14/16, EDD 3/20/18

• We had a babytrend something with the first 2, which is probably way outdated now lol. But for #3 I found a Bob Ironman on Facebook (Facebook for expensive things is the way to go imo) and it's been awesome. I've only used it here and there for running, but for trails and zoos and such it's great. 
    We decided against a double stroller for our first 2 and probably won't get one this time around. Usually one of us would wear the little and the other would push the bigger one in the stroller. Once the littlest got big enough to really use the stroller the older was walking. I just found the doubles to be really bulky.