Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

Cortisone Shot Delaying Ovulation While TTC

Hi,
Has anyone experience a messed up menstrual cycle after a cortisone shot? Particularly delayed or no ovulation? When did it go back to normal? I got a shot on CD 9 in June and nothing has been normal. My cm was watery on CD 9 on days when it's usually a mix of watery and creamy (makes me think lack of progesterone which is needed for ovulation), my opk was positive (both lines the same) on CD 9 then stayed high throughout the cycle although not positive. After I ovulated (which I'm not even sure I did) I didn't dry up like usual. Next period might have been triggered because I stopped my progesterone supplements so in reality it was probably a withdrawal bleed.

Fast forward to now in July, CD 17 and opk is the most faintest line I've ever seen and I ovulate CD 16, 17 or 18 so I should have a positive right now. Really kicking myself for getting that injection and mad at my doc for not telling me it can affect my ovulation when he knew I was ttc. Any insight would be appreciated. Personal experiences please I've already googled the hell out of this!

Re: Cortisone Shot Delaying Ovulation While TTC

• Options
    Hey there @copywriter123 First off we generally don't encourage one off posts like these because they tend to clutter our board. I recommend reading the pinned posts at the top of the group (Ultimate TTGP Guide and The Bump Guidelines), introducing yourself over in the newbies thread, and lurking around a bit to find threads better suited to your needs here. We have monthly questions threads, daily WTO/TWW threads, and a few specialty threads for infertility, TTC after loss, and trying for a sibling along with some random fun threads.

As far as your question is concerned I have had two cortisone shots while TTC and they haven't impacted my cycles at all to my knowledge. That being said, I recommend that you keep tracking your cycles and if something is -really- off I recommend getting in touch with your ObGyn to see if they have concerns or recommendations based on what you're experiencing.
    TTC History- *TW* LC
    Me: 24 Dh: 46
    Married: 10.2018
    DS #1: 06.2014
    Hyperemesis Gravidarum (HG), Emergency C-Section
    MC: 03.2017- 5 Weeks
    Rainbow DS #2: 07.2018
    HG, 19w Fetal Surgery, 24w PPROM, 33w Placental Abruption, Partial Uterine Rupture, Emergency C-Section
    NICU, Chronic Kidney Disease
    TTC #3: Medically Cleared 12.5.2019, had a bunch of problems and wonky cycles
    BFP 10.13.2020 EDD: 6.26.2021

October 2020 TTGP Signature Challenge: Pets in Costumes

• Options
    @copywriter123 I second the info given to you above.  We'd love for you to get actively involved and introduce yourself in the weekly Newbie Intro thread.

Yes, cortisone shots can mess up your cycle.  Sorry your doctor didn't tell you that.  I take a steroid that can delay ovulation, or inhibit it completely at higher doses.  The good thing is that you are probably just ovulating a bit later right now--it sounds like your OPK may get stronger within the next few days.  So, you lost last cycle and will be a little late this cycle. Hopefully things get back to normal after this!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hi,
    Has anyone experience a messed up menstrual cycle after a cortisone shot? Particularly delayed or no ovulation? When did it go back to normal? I got a shot on CD 9 in June and nothing has been normal. My cm was watery on CD 9 on days when it's usually a mix of watery and creamy (makes me think lack of progesterone which is needed for ovulation), my opk was positive (both lines the same) on CD 9 then stayed high throughout the cycle although not positive. After I ovulated (which I'm not even sure I did) I didn't dry up like usual. Next period might have been triggered because I stopped my progesterone supplements so in reality it was probably a withdrawal bleed.

Fast forward to now in July, CD 17 and opk is the most faintest line I've ever seen and I ovulate CD 16, 17 or 18 so I should have a positive right now. Really kicking myself for getting that injection and mad at my doc for not telling me it can affect my ovulation when he knew I was ttc. Any insight would be appreciated. Personal experiences please I've already googled the hell out of this!
    QFP
    Our TTC Journey
    TTC #1: May 2011
    BFP: 10/27/2011 |  EDD: 6/30/12
    DS born 6/28/12 via C/S 3 

TTC #2: September 2018
    Me: 36 | DH: 39
    Mirena removed 9/13/2018 after 6 years
    BFP 11/11/2018 | MC @ 5.5 weeks on Thanksgiving
    July 2019 - Diagnosed with Secondary Unexplained IF
    August 2019 - 2.5 mg of Letrozole = Never Ovulated so Trigger and IUI were cancelled
    9/30/2019 - IUI #1 (5 mg of Letrozole + Trigger) =  BFP but Betas showed CP @ 4 weeks
    10/28/2019 - IUI #2 (7.5mg of Letrozole + Trigger) = BFN
    11/25/2019 - IUI #3 (7.5mg of Letrozole, Trigger + Crinone after IUI) = BFN
    12/24/2019 - IUI #4 (7.5mg of Letrozole + Crinone after IUI) = BFN
    1/24/2020 - IUI #5 (50mg of Clomid + Trigger + Crinone after IUI) = BFN and an Ovarian Cyst
    3/2/2020 - Taking a break to reset/NTNP
    11/1/2020 - At peace with where things are in life and are no long actively TTC. Whatever happens will happen and it will all be okay. <3

• Options
    Update: My cycle was messed up for TWO MONTHS and I finally am getting a normal opk reading and ovulated (had an ultrasound done to check follicles). Word to the wise: AVOID ALL STEROIDS (CORTISONE SHOTS, PREDNISONE) IF YOU ARE TRYING TO CONCEIVE. I ended up with spotting a week before period came and the cycle was 24 days instead of my usual 30-32.