January 2021 Moms

Product Spotlight: Baby Carriers

This is a place for FTMs to ask questions about, S+TMs to share their prior experience with, and everyone to share what they're eyeing in the world of maternity, baby and postpartum products. Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product to help streamline and make it easier to refer back. This week we're discussing baby carriers!

Please use the prompts below to try to share as much relevant info as you can in a format that is easy for those reading to navigate and respond to.

For S+TMs: 

• Individual (e.g., lifestyle) factors that might influence your choice:
  • Favorite baby carrier:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • What you like and don't like about it:
  • Is there a baby carrier you don't have but are considering? Why?:
  • Is there a baby carrier you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: 
  • Additional thoughts on baby carriers?:

For FTMs:

• Baby carrier you're interested in:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • Any questions for S+TMs?:

To view past Product Spotlights or the upcoming schedule, see

here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Aqb8MGEYn0PQtTuPg16w7-ypItLmVIMNyU5AteGqodM/edit#gid=0

And of course feel free to post on each thread as needed/as you think of things, even if that item was posted several weeks/months ago!

Re: Product Spotlight: Baby Carriers

• I prefer structured carriers to wraps. With our oldest we waited a while to use carriers/wraps because we wanted to make sure she was a bit less wobbly, but I think that may have contributed to her not liking the carrier as much. We had a Moby wrap and an Ergo carrier. Eventually she got used to the Ergo and it was awesome! so helpful during airplane trips, grocery store runs, etc. It was really easy to nurse her in it, too.
    This time around id like to get the infant insert so that we can start using the Ergo sooner.
  • Loading the player...
  • I think we have friends who are sending us a couple hand-me-down carriers - the wrap kind but not sure which ones exactly, but I was looking at a couple also -

The Infantino 4 in 1 convertible carrier https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M0DWQYI?tag=blvisitor-20
    This seems like we could get a lot of use out of it for a couple years and isn't too expensive (under $30).

Baby K'Tan carrierhttps://www.babylist.com/gp/baby-k-tan-baby-carrier/329/1022
    Honestly I put this on my (still private and very much still in the works) Babylist registry because...it looks cute to me! It also sounds fairly easy to use. It seems like we could only use it for the first few months though as it's meant for smaller babies. Also, it comes in clothing sizes so I'm thinking I would get it for me to wear and SO would use the Infantino or some other carrier, if he uses one. A little more expensive for one that's more for short-term use, $50. @jumpy57 glad to hear you liked this one!
  • We have the Lillebaby Complete All Season. I don’t really know prices of carriers but I’d say this one is $$$. I like that it can be used from newborn to toddler with no insert needed. There are several ways to wear it including baby facing in or out. I didn’t try a wrap with my first but I would like to try one this time. 
  • I'm a FTM but so far based on reviews I'm interested in the Lillebaby Serenity Airflow. I also like the Maya wrap for a non-structured carrier.
  • I loooooved the k'tan for when #3 was really little. She was on the go from the beginning and I could just pop her in and it was perfect. It really only worked for a little while but was fantastic.
    I'd had the ergo for #2 and really liked it but got a lillebaby for #3 because she only wanted to face out. Also highly highly recommend. Not cheap but worth every penny. That one you get a lot longer time to wear. I used it alllllll the time- still would at 2 years except life got less hectic thanks to the pandemic so haven't really needed it. 

• HappyFeet34HappyFeet34 member
    edited August 2020
    Oh I love this topic! I am a huge fan of baby wearing. I own probably 20+ carriers and if I don’t own it I’ve probably tried it. I’m an open book for any questions!

• Individual (e.g., lifestyle) factors that might influence your choice: I BW for everything. Cleaning, cooking (back only!), walks, hikes, shopping, just because. 

• Favorite baby carrier: Woven wraps are my favorite. Depending on what I’m doing usually a four or six are my go tos. Never was a huge fan of ring slings. Definitely not a fan of things like the moby. Love SSC as they get older and for quick ups and downs. 

• Link/picture: me with my first born in a back carry. I don’t love this specific wrap, but my husband used it a lot. 

• Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): That can vary greatly. Back when I was buying wraps it was super competitive and costly, they are more affordable now. I think you can pick up a decent woven for 100-200 but price will depend on brand, length and whether it’s machine or handwoven. It can get into the thousands but I would start with something more basic. Happy to help point to some brands and styles for a good starter woven. 

• What you like and don't like about it: Buying used is a great option! When it comes to woven the more broken in there are the better! I like something soft and pliable but with some good grip to it. 

• Is there a baby carrier you don't have but are considering? Why?: I feel pretty good with my variety of wovens and Tulas
    • Is there a baby carrier you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?:  Moby, ring sling, other stretchy “wraps”
    • Additional thoughts on baby carriers?: I could talk baby carriers in depth so I won’t open that box unless there are questions :)

BFP #1 November 28, 2013 E Born August 3, 2014
  • HappyFeet34HappyFeet34 member
    edited August 2020
    @jumpy57 yay! Another BW fanatic. I haven’t been active on the buy/sell scene in a few years. What are the popular brands now? Pavo was all the rage when my first was born, I have quite a few but have other brands too. 

BFP #1 November 28, 2013 E Born August 3, 2014
  • I have an Ergo, a wrap, and a sling carrier. The wrap was nice when she was itty bitty but did not feel stable to me once she got bigger so we mainly used the ergo. The sling takes a lot of practice to get it right so hopefully I can master it this time around. 

My big piece of advice is if you want an Ergo, make sure it is one that allows front facing out. I thought that Ergo 360 MUST mean that it allows this but ours doesn't. DD was not having facing in after about 5 months and would scream her head off (she made this decision when I decided to take a solo flight with her). I ended up borrowing a different Ergo from a friend and she was content to face out much more than facing in.

Also worth nothing that with any carrier facing out please make sure that baby's hips are supported. I've seen too many babies with their legs just hanging down which can cause hip dysplasia.
    Me: 36 DH:41
    DD born 1/3/2019
    EDD for #2 1/28/2021
    BabyFruit Ticker

• @HappyFeet34 ❤️❤️❤️ I jumped right to handwovens and Farideh is by far my current favorite. I haven't seen any Pavo on the b/s/t and currently Luna Cocoon is the $$$$ that people go crazy for. My friend and I have different styles so we don't have to fight over anything and we trade a lot to try new things. Maybe I'll see you on Facebook 👀