3rd Trimester
Options

Gestational diabetes. And pre eclampsia. Are the two connected

I’m having a hard time controlling my gestational diabetes. Especially with how hot it’s been. Impossible to stay motivated in exercise. I’m now worried I’ll get into pre-eclampsia. Am I reaching here or should I worry

Answers

• Options
    I’m having a hard time controlling my gestational diabetes. Especially with how hot it’s been. Impossible to stay motivated in exercise. I’m now worried I’ll get into pre-eclampsia. Am I reaching here or should I worry
    No, you're not reaching, but also, no, you should not worry. 

All you have to do is google "are gestational diabetes and preeclampsia linked," and you'll get a ton of results saying that, yes, you do have an increased risk of preeclampsia when you have GD. However, it's not a guarantee. Worrying about it will do nothing. All you can do is continue to go to your prenatal appointments, discuss it with your providers and try to control your GD as much as possible. 
  • Options
    Have you discussed this with your doctor? They should have told you about how many carbs to eat and to pair with protein. If you are still having difficulty there is medication they can prescribe. Even walking can be enough exercise.

Additionally around 36 weeks your hormones go especially haywire and it can be difficult to control your blood sugar. No matter what, discuss with your doctor!
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My doctor put me on a daily dose of baby aspirin (low dose aspirin) this helps to lower risk of preeclampsia when you have gestational diabetes. So far so good for the blood pressure
  • Options
    I’m having a hard time controlling my fasting number.  Any tips? I’m also on the baby aspirin. 
  • Options
    @nola1119 make sure you are eating a bedtime snack that is heavy on the protein. High tastings happen when your body runs out of fast burning carbs and starts to burn high energy fat reserves that then lead to sugar spikes by the time you wake up. Protein will give your body fuel over a longer period of time.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::