March 2021 Moms
Options

Full Time In Person Teaching

Hi lovely mamas to be! I’m a fourth grade teacher at a Catholic school and although our local public schools are all going virtual this fall, we will be open in person, 5 days a week. I will have 25 students this year. They will be required to wear masks all day (except at lunchtime) and desks will be spaced as close to 6 feet apart as possible. My doctor has told me there’s no additional risk for pregnant moms in regards to Covid but I have some reservations. Being home all summer has not been good for my mental health (I know a lot of people are feeling that without the pregnancy hormones!) and I LOVE teaching. I am just trying to weigh out the risks and benefits. I’m due in the beginning of March. Any advice or similar situations? 

Re: Full Time In Person Teaching

• Options
    @gb207 I live in Europe and we went back to school at the end of May after 2.5 months of lockdown and virtual teaching . I work at an international but the protocol was the same as the public schools. Classes were split into two cohorts that would rotate weekly. I only had ten students at one time so social distancing was easy. I teach 1st grade and they were amazing at keeping their masks on, sanitizing desks, washing hands, etc. It was mandatory masks for everyone if you couldn’t keep a distance of 2 metres. I go back to work in two weeks and I am definitely more anxious cause now I’m pregnant and I will have the whole class. But, I did feel safe when I was at school before the summer break and life has to go on. The most important thing is that you feel reassured with the measures that your school has in place. My school is really trying to ensure the safety of the staff by having mandatory paid Covid testing before returning and temperature checks at the door. We also have procedures for quarantining classes and sections of the school should an infection arise. Also, I prefer class teaching over virtual, especially at the beginning of the school year when you’re trying to create a classroom community. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    gb207gb207 member
    edited August 2020
    thanks @redselig for the input. I hope this year goes smoothly for you too! It reassuring knowing last year was a good experience overall for you.