November 2020 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight: Blankets and Swaddles

This is a place for FTMs to ask questions about, S+TMs to share their prior experience with, and everyone to share what they're eyeing in the world of maternity, baby and postpartum products. Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product to help streamline and make it easier to refer back. This week we're discussing blankets and swaddles! 

Please use the prompts below to try to share as much relevant info as you can in a format that is easy for those reading to navigate and respond to.

For S+TMs: 

• Individual (e.g., lifestyle) factors that might influence your choice:
  • Favorite rocking blankets and/or swaddles:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • What you like and don't like about it:
  • Is there a blanket and/or swaddle you don't have but are considering? Why?:
  • Is there a blanket and/or swaddle you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: 
  • Additional thoughts on blankets/swaddles?:

For FTMs:

• Blankets/swaddles you're interested in:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • Any questions for S+TMs?:

To view past Product Spotlights or the upcoming schedule, see

here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Aqb8MGEYn0PQtTuPg16w7-ypItLmVIMNyU5AteGqodM/edit?usp=sharing

Re: Product Spotlight: Blankets and Swaddles

• Options
    mtenglmtengl member

For S+TMs: 

• Individual (e.g., lifestyle) factors that might influence your choice: To me it is more of what the baby ends up liking. DD hated her arms being swaddled so we ended up foregoing after a week and just putting her in sleeper/footie pajamas
    • Favorite rocking blankets and/or swaddles: I did like the Halo Swaddles
    • Link/picture: https://www.buybuybaby.com/store/product/halo-reg-sleepsack-reg-small-multi-way-cotton-swaddle-in-grey/1061444676?keyword=halo-swaddles
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): $21
    • What you like and don't like about it: Could swaddle with arms out and feet were more free/kind of like a sleep sack. 
    • Is there a blanket and/or swaddle you don't have but are considering? Why?: No
    • Is there a blanket and/or swaddle you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: No
    • Additional thoughts on blankets/swaddles?: I don't recommend buying blankets, unless for some reason you don't receive any, but that is peoples go to is either giving a blanket/making one or giving the light traditional swaddles. I had soooo many and didn't buy a single one. 
    • Another note, DD hated being swaddled. I bought so many and we didn't end up using them for very long because she only wanted to be in a sleeper/footies plus she started rolling to her side the first week (never all the way over thank goodness!) so it made me nervous to swaddle her. 
  • Options
    I agree with the above about it being baby's preference. But I will say that the hospital staff makes it look SO EASY to swaddle with just a regular blanket, and let me tell you. It.is.not. 

DD1 was a freaking Houdini and would wiggle her way out of everything except this: https://www.amazon.com/Miracle-Blanket-Swaddle-Natural-Beige/dp/B000G0L2TM#:~:text=The%20miracle%20blanket%20is%20the,well%2Drested%20mom%20and%20dad.&text=Your%20baby%20will%20sleep%20longer,arm%20flap%20design%20and%20length.

DD2 Did fine in Halo (we got a fleece one as well as a cotton one) or Swaddle Me brand https://www.buybuybaby.com/store/product/swaddleme-reg-3-pack-large-fly-away-birds-original-swaddles-in-pink/1060879233?keyword=swaddle

Once both of my girls rolled however (back to front), we went cold turkey on the swaddling instead of trying any sort of transitional apparatus. 

Neither was a fan of Zipadee Zip or Woombie. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    mtenglmtengl member
    @crizz13 I know!! I never felt like the regular swaddle was tight enough when I did it to be safe but those nurses my gosh! We live in a warmer climate so a footsie pajama was okay and she did love her limbs free so I just gave up. WE will see with this baby, I did keep the swaddles we had.
  • Options
    +1 for the halo sleep sack!! I’m a FTM but I was an infant room teacher this past year and 4 of our 8 babes used the halo! I definitely agree its the baby’s preference, it didn’t work well for some of our kiddos. But I do think it’s the easiest swaddle to use personally! 

Another one was the Magic Merlin sleep suit, 2 of our 8 babes had this. Personally I found it really difficult to get the babies into it, as it’s a very snug fit. But that’s why they loved it! I just think it can be difficult when they’re already half asleep or cranky. But again, totally baby’s preference.
  • Options
    Did anybody just love flannel blankets for their babies? I got some from my SIL and she said they were the best to have and really wanted me to have them. The problem is, I very much dislike the colors, patterns and up until now have not been a big fan of flannel. I'm not sure if I should keep them as back up as I might find out I love them or just get rid of them to begin with and if I need some, but some that I love🤔
  • Options
    We used swaddle me swaddles. I didn't love them because the velcro is  loud and trying to get a kid in and out of a velcro swaddle was definitely a feat in and of itself. DS started STTN at 7 weeks though so there was no way in hell I was going to mess with the system.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WH9VQ7D/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_j6xgFbHPDB7YK

Once he started rolling over I switched to a different kind. I think they were called Love to Dream? You could have their arms up by their head or unzip the sleeves.

@babywiik are they thin, small flannel blankets for swaddling? I wouldnt use anything that's too thick because if the baby gets loose out of the swaddle they can suffocate. You cant use loose blankets in bed with baby.
  • Options
    @dumbledoredies I think they're more something that could be put on the floor and baby on top to catch barf or poo? Maybe I'm just needing to be told that I don't have to save and use everything I get from well meaning people🙄 my niece used them and she's 8 now so it's not like brand new, never used. I just thought that if other moms thought they were an absolute necessity then maybe if keep them but I think ill just buy some blankets I love rather than storing blankets I might never use.
  • Options
    @babywiik yeah I wouldnt use them if you dont want to! We got a lot of blankets with DS that I didnt love and I ended up buying a few that I liked. It's nice having a handful that you arent in love with though. I usually use those for outdoor adventures (we have a zoo lights thing and other outdoor winter activities that we enjoy doing in normal times) and since I dont care if those get dirty I use those to wrap him up and keep him warm!
  • Options
    acdc1109acdc1109 member
    edited July 2020
    So similar question as babywiik, but what (if anything) has anyone done with homemade blankets. I think I have close to 10 crocheted blankets and we really don't use them a lot, mostly because I'm hesitant to wash them often and I've found other blankets that I like to use more than those. I don't know who made/gifted us all of them but there are only like 2 (one for each kid) that I feel we definitely need to keep. Any suggestions what to do with the other ones?
  • Options
    @dumbledoredies good idea to have some for outside use! I don't think these ones would work to well as they'll just collect all the first but I'll look for some that would work!
    @acdc1109 handmade stuff is tricky but there's no point in just having them sit in storage, especially if the person who gifted them will never know. Ive been thinking a lot more about the blankets i got and i think ive decided that since it made my SIL happy to give them to me, they've served their purpose. Now i can be happy to pass them on to someone else😜I wonder if there would be some sort of charity that would like to have them or a second hand store? I know my sister had a few that she'd wash normal but then just gave them to my nieces to use for their dolls so that's an option too. They maybe weren't as soft after going through the dryer but they looked ok(totally depends on what yarn it's made out of though!🙄)
  • Options
    @acdc1109 I have a number of homemade blankets we were gifted for DD also. I think it really depends on the quality and if you have storage for them. One is a quilt with her name and birth stats which I have hanging in her room, another is a small quilt which we use for outside or toss on the floor for tummy time as an infant. One crocheted one that I used similarly to the small quilt. One granny square one which is the only one that hasn't held up well to washing. I have to repair/reattach a few squares. It's lovely but it'll probably be added to the tummy time pile for the twins. And then one crocheted one that's out of a super soft yarn that just recently within the past 6 months or so my DD has claimed as her "blankie" and LOVES to snuggle with and take to bed. The only ones I'll be holding onto for certain are the larger quilt and *maybe* her blankie. I *might* hold onto the granny square one if I fix it and make it into a car blanket #WIliving. The other 2 will certainly be passed along to someone else eventually. 

I'm only going to hold onto the ones with a lot of sentimental value.

BFP 3/21/2020!  OMG We're having TWINS! 4/17/2020
    --------------------------------
    LO arrived 11/9/2018!  We have a baby!
    --------------------------------
    Me: 33 | DH: 41
    Married: March 2016
    TTC #1/IUD out January 2017
    PCOS dx January 2018
    Medicated cycle 2.5mg Letrozole CD3-7 February 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018! 
    -------------------------------

TTGP December Siggy Co-Winner: Favorite Moments from Holiday Movies/TV 
    TTGP October Siggy Winner: Animals in Costume 

• Options
    With both DS1 and DD we used Swaddleme swaddles with the velcro. As mentioned above they are super loud- that is my only complaint! After they started to roll, we would leave the arms free and just swaddle from the armpits down until they transitioned out. Those things were a life saver!

I am interested in the Swaddleme pods! Has anyone ever used them? I love the velcro free aspect and the two way zipper, but would love firsthand feedback.😊
  • Options
    @1MommyRunner OMG I LOVE the SwaddleMe Pods. I can’t find them from baby last so I’m rebuying them. 
  • Options
    kelk5kelk5 member
    edited August 2020
    Both my kiddos hated being swaddled, I tried the swaddle me Velcro swaddles with both and they both kept wiggling until they got their arms out and they woke themselves up. With DD we used the Merlin magic suit when she was big enough then switched to halo sleep sacks. She loved the Merlin Magic Suit and it was the only thing that allowed us to lay her down without her waking up. But she didn't transition out of it well once she started rolling so I would only use it as a last resort with this little one.

With DS I discovered the Love to Dream Swaddle-up and that was amazing! He slept great with his arms above his head but couldn't startle himself awake. They have a lot of different options for weight of material and transition swaddle-ups that the arms zip off. 

For blankets, I never used them to swaddle. We had a variety that were gifted to us. I love the Aden and Anais muslin blankets. They are so soft and way better than any other muslin blankets we have. They work well as a blanket in car seats and to keep in the diaper bag - cover for breastfeeding, spit-up, blanket for the ground, shade over stroller (be careful as it gets really hot under a blanket so make sure they have air flow and you can still see them to monitor). 

The heavier blankets  (flannel and thicker material that were made for the kiddos) we used for blankets in the car seat/stroller during the winter. Other blanket uses included floor time, picture backgrounds, to sleep with after 18 months, and to play with. DD loves to have all her blankets in her toddler bed to make a little nest 😆

If someone gives you one you don't like I'd probably still keep it as a backup blanket to keep in the vehicle. You never know when you might need it and you can donate or give away when they are older if it doesn't have sentimental value.  Also, someone gave us very thin flannel receiving blankets. I used those as burp cloths since we didn't swaddle with blankets.