1st Trimester
Options

Progesterone

Hi everyone,

I am newly pregnant with our first and we are so excited. I had my first appointment the other day and requested to have my progesterone levels checked. At 5 weeks it came back at 11. I have a history of having low progesterone, so they want to put me on progesterone until week 12. However, I am having issues getting it because my insurance hardly covers it and it comes out to around $700! They have ordered a couple different brands for me and each time it is outrageously priced. Just looking for some advice. I'm super worried about my progesterone just because I've had low levels in the past. I've heard of OTC progesterone creams but would that be as effective as the suppository?

Re: Progesterone

• Options
    I had the same problem so my OB prescribed generic oral progesterone (but I use it off label as a suppository). The generic oral version is usually covered by more insurance companies. 
    Me: 30   DH: 29
    Together: 3/2007
    Married: 5/30/2015
    BFP #1: 9/14/2015
    EDD: 5/20/2016
  • Options
    A ) Insurance is ridiculous and if your doctor says it's necessary, they should cover it.  Ugh, Insurance
    B ) Have you tried calling your insurance to find out from them if they cover any type of progesterone (and then check with your doctor to see if any of those types would work for you)
    C ) $700 is a lot of money... but if you NEED it to ensure a living baby, and you can't get insurance to cover it you're going to have to ask yourself if you're willing to pay $700 to probably have a living baby, or skip the product/money and roll the dice on losing the baby... #HardTalk  
    #BitterHagPartyOf1

Melody Pond GIF
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Call around for prices. I ordered mine through a specialty fertility pharmacy (it was prescribed during my IUI follow-up) and it was less than $50 for 30 days. My insurance doesn't cover fertility, only pregnancy. They compounded it themselves, so that may impact price.