January 2021 Moms

Re: ~~~August Randoms~~~

• I thought I was starting to show but it turns out I was just constipated hahaha. A few days of colace & miralax and I'm back to just looking like I've had a few too many quarantine snacks which isn't far off actually. 
    Me: 36 DH:41
    DD born 1/3/2019
    EDD for #2 1/28/2021
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Sorry about the double post but does anyone have (or plan to have) baby's room also be a guest bedroom? We eventually want to move to a bigger house but it isn't in the cards before baby comes. DD has her own room and the plan is to make the guest room into baby's room while still leaving the queen sized guest bed. My parents live out of town and I still would like them to have a place to stay when they come to visit. 

The bedroom is pretty large and I do think there is room if we clean out a lot of the other stuff. Obviously when guests are staying baby would sleep in our room in a p&p. The current plan is to rent a storage unit to store the extra dresser, nightstand, and all of the other junk that is currently stored in that room.

Along these same lines, how long did you keep your rocker / glider for your baby? I use DD's every night for story time (she's 18m currently) and I'm hesitant to give it up but do we really need two?
    DD born 1/3/2019
    EDD for #2 1/28/2021
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • @lacroixliz yes you can totally combo baby and guest room! Could you move the glider somewhere where you could use it for both kids? It might change your routine a bit but saves you from buying a second. 
  • Any of you STM+ still have a child in your bed? My 3 year old has slept with us most of his life. The struggle is real. He has his own big boy brf. But refused to sleep in it. If he falls asleep, he always gets in the bed with us sometime throughout the night. Any suggestions appreciated 
  • @AshleyGemini24 My 14 month old is still in our bed 😫 We do plan on making him move before new baby comes, but preferably in the next few months. DD slept with us too until about 3. It took a lot of consistency (ie moving her back every single time she came in) but she did eventually get it. 
  • I got news today that my risk for trisomy 18 has been increased to 1 in 69 (based on the quad screen). My Maternit21 results were all normal (everything was negative). Now I have an appointment with a genetic counselor tomorrow morning to figure out what the next steps are. The person who gave me the results said that Maternit21 is more accurate, so I am hopeful.
  • @supersara2 🤞 I hope everyone ends up being negative and you can get some answers quickly instead of having to sit and wonder..Big hugs ❤️
  • Thinking of you @supersara2
  • Thinking of you, @supersara2 - I hope the meeting with the counselor is helpful and gives you actionable guidance. @lacroixliz that’s our plan. Same situation, we want to have a dedicated space for guests since all family is from out of town. Our house has this massive room, it used to be two side-by-side bedrooms that got combined at some point. Right now it’s half office (thanks, covid) and half guest room. Our plan is to turn it into a nursery with the guest bed, and whenever people come visit we’d move the baby in with our oldest. It won’t be an issue for a long time because we’ll keep the baby in our room for the first 6-12 months.
  • Have any of your doctors given induction plans/dates yet? My friend in Tampa who’s 12 weeks already has a plan & I haven’t heard a word about it from my doc..jw?
  • briemo said:
    Have any of your doctors given induction plans/dates yet? My friend in Tampa who’s 12 weeks already has a plan & I haven’t heard a word about it from my doc..jw?
    That seems reeeeeeeeaaaaly early unless she has underlying health concerns. I think every office/provider likely has a general rule they follow. Mine for example will induce at one week overdue, but I don't remember when she told me this. Others may go to two weeks or have no limit, you'll have to ask. I was induced with my first and we didn't schedule the induction until my 40 week appointment.
  • @briemo with my first, the OB didn’t bring it up until my last appointment. She won’t let patients go one week past the due date. This does seem to vary, though, like @jumpy57 said. Some doctors/midwives let you go two weeks past. 
  • @briemo I'm having a repeat c-section and I asked when they do this and was told 39 weeks... which happens to fall on 1/21/21 so we did talk about dates (because that would be an awesome birthday) but there is def nothing set in stone or scheduled at this point.
    DD born 1/3/2019
    EDD for #2 1/28/2021
    BabyFruit Ticker

• @lacroixliz totally agree that’s an awesome birthday we’re secretly hoping our bb has the same date (currently he’s estimated anywhere from 1/16-1/28 which is a tad annoying but I guess once the anatomy scan hits we can narrow down a more solid date!! 
  • @supersara2 Thinking good thoughts for a good anatomy scan next Thursday! That is odd that they sent you for the screening after having the more accurate/precise NIPT. But I hope you get clearer answers soon!  <3
  • @supersara2 hope the scan goes well!  
  • Eventful week around here. My husband had a weird out-of-the-blue abscess on his leg. It progressed super fast and on Thursday he had to go to the doctor to get it drained. He’s recovering now but I’ll be glad once this is behind us!
  • @MaryNog Ugh how stressful, I hope the recovery is quick and goes smoothly!
  • @briemo. Doc casually mentioned an induction at 38 weeks. Putting us delivering the week after Christmas due to late term complications in previous pregnancies.  I know I'm asking to have my cakle and eat it to. I'd like to deliver without induction before the end of the year. 
  • @briemo is this your first? Due dates mean almost nothing they come when they come haha. 12 weeks is really early to discuss induction. My OB told me before I even got KU that he wanted to induce this one - I have precipitous labor and didn’t make it to the hospital last time, plus I hemorrhage so I’m not a good home birth candidate. But even then we won’t discuss specifics for a few more months. 

@supersara2 I hope your scan goes well. 

Does anyone know how I get notifications to turn on? I never get notified when I’m tagged. 

BFP #1 November 28, 2013 E Born August 3, 2014
  • @happyfeet34 If you scroll to the top (on desktop version) a click the little person on the right, you can hit preferences and it will show you what notifications are on/off. I don't know about the app version tho.
  • @whitealbum29 I’m only ever on the app. I may have to login to my desktop this week. 

• @HappyFeet34 ya FTM over here. I just keep talking to my friends in FL and feel like I’m getting shafted over here. I only got half of my first trimester screening done bc I was to far along etc so I’m just worried, you guys are making me feel better tho 
    my friend who’s 12 weeks and already has induction date is STM idk if that makes any difference 😬
    sitting in my waiting room now with a list of questions for the doc 🤓 
    happy Monday!

• @briemo I asked in the weekly check-in what happened with your first tri screening, but you answered it here. :) What were they able to do, exactly? I feel like if they were only able to test for half the things, they shouldn't be opposed to a quad screening. 
  • @supersara2 Lol I just replied to you back on the weekly check-in 🙈

I got the quad blood draw this morning! 🤗
  • @HappyFeet34 I have precipitous labors too but have just barely made it to the hospitals with both. They wanted to induce my last one but I chickened out. Do they think an induction will go pretty quickly for you? I’m so unnecessarily freaked out to be induced :/
  • @aels12 I feel like I’m going to chicken out too. I really don’t want to be induced I loved my natural labor and the recovery was so much easier. My first I was in active labor 3 hours, so not too bad. The second was less than 1 hour and she was born in the parking garage. My push time was short with both. My OB thinks an induction would go super quickly he said he would just break my water, but broken water also means more painful labor. My husband still has trauma from the last one and my daughter ended up in the NICU for 4 days because she aspirated on meconium because of how stressful it was on her (I held her in way longer than I should have but I wanted desperately not to have her on the highway) so they are both pushing. I was also 4-5cm that morning at a visit, but not having contractions, so I may just wait and see how dilated I am and when I get to a 4 or 5 just head in. 

@briemo she may have complications that require that but honestly I don’t know why anyone would want an induction date without complications, it’s much easier on you and baby if you go on baby’s time. An early induction often leads to. C section (unless you prefer that). 

• @HappyFeet34 (replying here to both threads) ya I’m under 35 as well it’s just hard navigating this as a FTM with friends in other places saying “how it should be” ya know? You guys definitely help!
  • I'm a weirdo and really don't feel contractions until my water breaks... And had DD2 30 minutes after arriving at the hospital. I can't remember the things name right now but there's a device you can rent that will detect contractions and I'm seriously considering it this time around. That way, if I start feeling weird or off I can see what's going on.

I was induced with DD1 and while it wouldn't be my preferred choice it wasn't awful 🤷🏻‍♀️ I would rather have to be induced than have a car baby because that makes me nervous
  • @HappyFeet34 they told me they’d just break my water too to get things going but it just makes me nervous. My labors have gone very smoothly, just very fast (both 2.5 hours from very first contraction to baby). I’m usually 4 cm dilated by 38 weeks and then just sit like that until they’re ready. My first came at 41 weeks on the dot, it was actually the morning of when I was supposed to be induced, things just started naturally about an hour before! And my second came at 39 weeks 2 days. I felt the urge to push for about an hour with him before they would let me though 🙄
  • @aels2 I will be curious to follow along with what they suggest for you too!

@jumpy57 yeah I was induced with my first too. My water broke and nothing happened for 18 hours. They finally started pitocin and then things got intense about 3 hours later so I was only in active labor for a few hours. I hated it though, it was night and day compared to my natural birth. I would do an induction again if it meant reducing risk to the baby but would want to exhaust all other options first. 

• @supersara2 congrats on the good scan!!!
  • Just a small rant, I emailed HR and my boss (head of company) like 2-3 weeks ago to tell them I'm pregnant. The HR woman wrote back and said congratulations and my boss has yet to acknowledge it! It's a very small company, I'm in a meeting with him every day. My direct boss has known for several weeks and he told me, "Oh, X just doesn't look at his email enough, he probably didn't see it," and he's told me twice now that he'd mention it to X but I still haven't heard anything! I mean it's just strange. Right?? And sooner rather than later I'm going to have to have a conversation with them about taking some unpaid time on top of my paid leave, whether I can do any work from home once I go back and other logistical stuff so it would just be nice to know this info got to him. I don't like loose ends! 
  • Anyone else have Braxton Hicks yet? I think I had some, as a FTM unsure but it was scary.. DH and I ran a lot of errands together yesterday so idk if I over did it. Just plan on vegging out on the couch and chugging water like usual today...
  • briemo, no BH here yet, but I think I read it's normal if it starts about now.

whitealbum29 that's pretty annoying. My boss's boss also didn't say anything to me for two weeks after my boss told her (my boss confirmed to me she told her). And then my boss's boss had the gall to act surprised when I announced to everyone in a team meeting. All like "I didn't know!" What!?? I was so taken aback I was literally speechless for a moment. People were asking me questions and all I could do was look her in the eyes like AYFKM. But that's extra awful if it's your direct boss and he hasn't acknowledged yet. Do you have 1:1s with him? I'd just drop something about a pregnancy appointment or something and see what happens. 
  • @briemo yes! I've had some. Just some tighting / contracting in my belly. Always seems to come out of no where. 
    DD born 1/3/2019
    EDD for #2 1/28/2021
    BabyFruit Ticker

• @lavenderclouds So weird and awkward of her! Why can't people just be normal. :joy: My direct boss was great when I announced to him, super supportive and excited, he just hasn't confirmed that he told the main boss and he knows I'm wondering about it! There is a lot of stuff going on at work with new staff and figuring out the plan for reopening the office maybe so I can be a little understanding but at a certain point it's like, don't let your pregnant employee get lost in the shuffle when I'm really not asking for much! I did actually have to email my direct boss about a doctor's appt this week so maybe that will jog his memory. 
  • I find it so awkward in general to announce I'm pregnant to people. There's no natural way to bring it into the conversation, and you never know who's going to be weird.