December 2020 Moms

Diaper and wipes stockpile

I've been stockpiling my diapers and wipes for when baby gets here. 

- I only buy when on sale AND I have coupons to make it cheaper

- I'm buying name brands like pampers and huggies, and sensitive unscented wipes.

- I'm only stockpiling size 1,2,3 and I've been doing it over an extended amount of time. ( I do have a few packages of newborn, but not many)

What I'm trying to figure out is how many of each size is a good amount to have. I don't want to have an excessive amount, but I also don't want to run to the store in the middle of the night either lol. I plan to either exchange or donate my unused diapers when baby grows out of them.  

Re: Diaper and wipes stockpile

• I've never found this necessary. 🤷🏻‍♀️  The only time i've ever not been able to get diapers or wipes was March of this year.  My favorite's are Pampers and Kirkland diapers -  huggies clean wipes. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    older siblings: ds 16 dd 14 ds 13 dd 11 dd 7 
  • karmbakarmba member
    I agree with @babymakes9 in that it's not really necessary.  I would say go easy on the newborn size - your baby may not be in that size very long.  Also getting a variety is a good idea, with DS Pampers gave him a rash so we quickly switched to Huggies.  I'll start DD out in Huggies but will be prepared to switch quickly if needed.

That being said - when get coupons we've been buying Dreft already haha.  We'll probably wait a few months before diapers and wipes.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Me: 34 DH: 36
    Married 10/15/11
    M/C October 2014
    BFP #2 4/3/16  EDD 12/8/16  DS 11/19/16

• Loading the player...
  • I also agree with the others that unless you are getting an awesome deal, there’s no reason to buy diapers that far ahead. You may also find that your baby reacts to different diapers, wipes or detergent differently, and if you buy all that ahead you may be wasting a lot of money. For example, @karmba said her baby broke out with pampers, but two of mine broke out with huggies. One also reacted badly to Dreft, so I had to rewash all of my newborn clothes in all free and clear!

@babymakes9 I agree that Kirkland diapers and huggies fragrance free wipes are the best!!!
  • On this point though - how many boxes would you get of NB vs size 1? I registered for 2 boxes of each size thinking I’d start there. Is it fairly easy to return diapers if we get too many? I know I’ll definitely need more of the bigger sizes than I do of the smaller, but not really sure what I should prepare for to start! 
  • I wouldn't stock up much unless you can return. You never know what brand/size combo will work best for your baby. My guy was 8.4 at birth, he never wore newborn at all. Size one was only for a few weeks, he lasted in size 2-3 for the rest of his diapering days (toilet trained just after 2 and he was skinny). 
  • I have no kids yet (except furry ones), but we’re waiting to pick up diapers and wipes specifically because of skin issues. I have super sensitive skin and we don’t want to stockpile and then have to return it if baby ends up having it, too. We’ve been gifted a few packs of wipes and an open package of Pampers, though. 
    Me: 36 | DH: 35 | Married: 9.17.16
    Diminished ovarian reserve
    BFP: 4/14/2020 EDD: 12/20/2020
  • I've been buying diapers since before I was ttc (we started trying march and conceived also in march), with the thought that any extras I can donate to my local women's center or to a friend who is due a few months after me. Both my husband and I were small babies, so I'm assuming my child will also be small, but I only have 3 nb jumbo packs anyways. I'm focused on the larger sizes and purchasing jumbo packs instead of boxes so it's easier to swap sizes if necessary. My goal is to get the price per diaper below 15 cents per diaper and so far I've been successful. I'm doing this to save money and to prepare ahead. When diapers became scarce, I stopped buying diapers so moms who needed them could find them.  Right now, I have about half of what I think I'll need when it comes to diapers, so I'm trying to decide whether I should have a diaper raffle and have family donate a few boxes of diapers or to just stop until closer to when baby will be here since there haven't been any super great sales since covid and there are strict limits on diaper purchases. 

I also plan to exclusively formula feed, so I'm trying to save the money on diapers now, so I can afford formula later. :) 

• Have any of you specifically looking to save money considered cloth? We mostly used cloth with DS 1 (only sposies with my Mom who has arthritis and had troubles with the snaps). We still have all of the diapers now for DS 2, so we will spend $0 to diaper this baby. I used bumgenious freetime with #1 and spent maybe $250 on my whole stash (buying them at BBB with coupons). We live in a small NY apartment with a 1 cubic foot washing machine so if we can do it, anyone can!
  • @willashbaby I'm open to it, but since both my husband and I work full time and plan to have my baby at a babysitter 40+ hours per week, I'm not sure how easy that would be for me to keep up with. I definitely plan to have 4 or 5 cloth diapers on hand for bad rash days and to give options, but I don't think I can exclusively cloth diaper at this point. If I was able to be a SAHM or be home more with my child, I would definitely consider it more. What brand do you prefer?  Also, do you prefer pocket, prefold, or all in one? 
  • @KristaBret My DH and I both work full time. DS used sposies only during the day with my Mom, and cloth at home. We used the bumgenius freetime all in one, very easy since you wash and they air dry. We washed every other day and got an accordion wall hanger for them to dry. If you have an actual babysitter they might be fine using the cloth. They're all just snaps. We only added extra soakers for absorption once he was over 18 months. He seriously NEVER had diaper rash, it was amazing. 
  • @willashbaby @KristaBret  

I’ve  been hoping to do cloth diapers but have no idea how to do any of it. my brother just had a baby and our grandmother wanted to get him a few months of diaper service for a gift (not available where he lives). So I’m hoping I will end up with the same offer. 

If your childcare is willing to work with cloth diapers a service could be something to consider, I didn’t know that it makes a difference for diaper rash until I just read this  thread 

It looks like for 21 weeks of 40 cloth diapers\week and Covers it’s about $340. They pick them up dirty and bring you clean ones.      I don’t know how that compares to disposable but environmentally it’s better, hopefully can learn to wash them myself after the gift runs out 

• @autumn87654321 I seem to remember that the in first few months, babies usually use about 10 diapers a day, which would mean that 40/week would only last about 4 days. It has been a couple of years though. Maybe I’m remembering wrong?
  • @autumn87654321 washing them really wasn't a big deal at all. I would only use a service if I didn't have my own washer. If your baby is getting breastmilk the poop just dissolves in the wash. I used rock n green powder soap, plenty of people use regular powder tide. Once he started eating real food we added a diaper sprayer to the toilet and used a shield thing to make sure poo only went in the toilet. We did a diaper load every other day and hung them to dry on an accordion rack. It was just part of the routine. The only other thing was that you DO want the diaper load "full". The diapers rubbing on each other helps clean them. If you have a giant washer you want the water to just cover the diapers. I would do a cold rinse first, then a heavy wash on hot with powder. Done. 
  • gingkomamagingkomama member
    edited July 2020
    @autumn87654321 Another cloth diaper user here! I never used a service and didn't find it to be a big deal to wash them. Honestly it just became part of the regular routine and wasn't too challenging once you get a wash routine down. 🙂

Oh, and I totally agree about the lack of diaper rash! We never had a rash that wasn't able to be cleared up by one application of ointment and we also never had blowouts except in disposables!