1st Trimester

Positive test 5 months after Tubal Ligation

I had my tubes clamped in January of this year. It’s now almost 6 months later and I have 3 positive tests and first set of blood works shows HCG levels at 102.6. At this time I would maybe be 4 weeks since last period and 2 since ovulation. Would that be considered low HCG for 4 weeks? Also aside from ultrasound how would I know if it’s ectopic?

Re: Positive test 5 months after Tubal Ligation

• Anything above an hcg level of 5 is considered positive for PG, and a positive is a positive, especially as early on as you are.  The most important thing is to see if the number doubles over a 48 hour period, so your next beta draw will give you more answers. As for ectopic, there are other symptoms that you can google, and are usually extreme pain situations that you would be calling your doctor about.  Additionally, the hcg levels can also inform on this, depending on if they're rising (doubling) correctly every 48 hours, are too slow, or skyrocket.
    #BitterHagPartyOf1

Melody Pond GIF
  • So my OB just called this morning and said the second set of bloodwork shows HCG levels at 700+. The first set of blood work was taken on a Thursday and the second set that following Monday. Would that be considered a skyrocket in the level? And is that a bad indicator? Also they scheduled me for an ultrasound on this coming Monday.
  • Loading the player...
  • coldlife2coldlife2 member
    edited July 2020
    lex4494 said:
    So my OB just called this morning and said the second set of bloodwork shows HCG levels at 700+. The first set of blood work was taken on a Thursday and the second set that following Monday. Would that be considered a skyrocket in the level? And is that a bad indicator? Also they scheduled me for an ultrasound on this coming Monday.
    You didn't ask your doctor this when they called? That would be a perfect question for them to answer. In general, your levels are supposed to at least double every 2-3 days. Yours may be rising slightly quicker than normal, but generally that's not a bad sign. You can google all this and get a ton of results. Rarely, it can indicate a molar pregnancy. 

You're having an ultrasound in a few days. Just hang tight until then. 
  • My doctor hasn’t been very vocal. Henceforth why I’ve turned to this forum. I’m so impatient and just want to know if I’m having a healthy pregnancy or not. I will definitely continue researching. Thank you
  • Thurs blood = 102.6
    If it doubled in 48 hours, then Sat level would be 205.2
    If doubled again in 48 hours, then Mon level would be 410.4.  

So yours is a little higher than that.  Which is not extreme.  Extreme is if you go from like 102.6 to like 2385.4.  You gotta calm down.  You also need to either trust your doctor and ask them your questions that are very pertinent to your health, or you need to IMMEDIATELY call and find a new doctor.  Stop googling!  You will only drive yourself insane!  Trust me...
    #BitterHagPartyOf1

Melody Pond GIF
  • lex4494 said:
    My doctor hasn’t been very vocal. Henceforth why I’ve turned to this forum. I’m so impatient and just want to know if I’m having a healthy pregnancy or not. I will definitely continue researching. Thank you
    To the first bolded, this is why you ask questions. They can't read your mind and guess what you might want to know. Even if they aren't proactive about bringing up things, I can't imagine they'd refuse to answer a question. 

To the second bolded, these forums are not going to be able to help with that. Your doctor examining you, ordering tests, doing blood work, doing ultrasounds, etc. is the only one who can tell you if it's a healthy pregnancy. I can tell you that, statistically, you're probably fine. But statistics don't tell what's actually happening in and around your specific uterus.  
  • Oh sweetie, either ask your doctor questions or find one that you trust.  You had him on the phone yet you come and ask internet strangers that have no MD/DO.  We. An not answer these specific questions - call your doctor's nurses line today and ask for explanations!