3rd Trimester
Options

Home Birth

I'm just curious as to how many mamas have decided to have home births in light of the current economy? I've just decided to have one and am a little nervous as it's a new concept for me. Does anyone have any helpful tips to make it more comfortable?

Re: Home Birth

• Options
    I'm just curious as to how many mamas have decided to have home births in light of the current economy? I've just decided to have one and am a little nervous as it's a new concept for me. Does anyone have any helpful tips to make it more comfortable?
    I have not, but I am having my baby at a freestanding birth center (this was always the plan, and my two prior babies were born their as well) whose midwives also do home births. 

What makes you nervous about it? Is it the safety aspect? If you're low risk and you're using licensed and certified midwives, out-of-hospital births are incredibly safe. You can look up the research and statistics. Start here. Are you worried about the pain since you can't have an epidural? There are countless programs and educational resources for pain management so research some. Hypnobirthing is a popular one. Personally, I think knowing up front it's not an option makes it easier. Are you concerned about having a clean house or messiness from birth in your house? Clean your house well a few weeks beforehand and just try to keep up with tidying on a daily basis so you aren't caught with a messy house. The midwives are going to be pretty skilled at keeping things off your bed and carpet. I know women who've had home births, and I'm given the same packet of info by my midwives as women who are planning home births. Ahead of time, they tell you to get two waterproof mattress covers and two bed sheets and layer them alternately on your bed. They advise you what all to have on hand, and they bring things to protect the floor. Even having my baby at a center with tiled floors, they have puppy pad/drop cloth of some sort down so I'm really not making a mess anywhere while in labor. 
  • Options
    Honestly, despite all going on, I would still have my birth at a hospital/medical facility.  It's a personal preference and one that you really need to be sure about 

For me, there are Too many gray areas, too much can go wrong in such a short time.  The idea of having to be transported is even more stressful, to me. 

With my 1st I would have had to as I tore so badly that I was a millimeter away from the operating room after delivery.  Baby's heart was decelerating at the end of pushing stage, that if it dropped any lower I would have been carted for an emergency, as it started to become close to the danger zone, as was her pulse/ox - thankfully I was able to deliver before it dropped any lower ....  They were concerned about DD, but she ended up fine.  

Yes, it was my experience but one I would have NEVER wanted to do at home without the resources at the hospital.  

If you truly want to go through with it find a midwife with experience and and interview them.  Ask the hard questions talk about your fears and concerns.