November 2020 Moms

Re: UO Thursday 7/9

• DONT GIVE YOUR DOG PEOPLE NAMES.

So annoying, my DD1 is Lucy and the amount of times people say "Oh cute that's my dogs name" is annoying.... Name your dog buddy and leave people names for babies.

Thanks for coming to my ted talk... I'm obviously fuming about this right now...
    ECat504
    SO
    SD (11/2010)
    DD1 (09/2014)
    DD2 (10/2015)
    Baby Girl #4 (11/2020)
  • bserenabserena member
    edited July 2020
    @ecat504 oh man... I have a dog named Winston and a dog named Leroy  :#  :D As well as a cat named Max and one named Caden. My other animals have animal-ish names though... Pickle, Mookie, Ruby, Olive. 

ETA: However, I don't think when meeting a Max (or Leroy, Winston, Caden) that I have ever said "oh that is my cats/dogs name!". Lol, I don't think I would find that necessary to point out.
  • Loading the player...
  • @bserena (I totally had a dog named Jack  :D) but still of all the Jack's I've met, I've never been like "golly that's my dogs name" *eyeroll* It's just rude I feel like. 

But like people who name their dogs abbey, maggie, lucy, etc I'm like just shut up about what your animals name is.... Like one of my BFFs has a daughter named Aislinn, and I had a dog for years with that name (when we met - my xh got her in the divorce :( ) but it was like a year and a half into our friendship before she knew my dog and her kid had the same name - because I'm not the asshole that's like "oh your kids got a dog name..."

LOL I'm way overly sensitive about this right now woooosah pregnancy hormones.
    ECat504
    SO
    SD (11/2010)
    DD1 (09/2014)
    DD2 (10/2015)
    Baby Girl #4 (11/2020)
  • @ecat504 I am with you on that, lol! And the ridiculous emotions that come with pregnancy... my poor husband can't take too much more  :D
  • I was considering the name Josephine and calling her Josie but then remembered that's my sisters dogs name so that's out!🙄 that's the only time I've really thought about pets having people names to be honest. 
  • My pets have always had pretty human names! My cat is Nola. Though some pet names cross the line for me. My SIL’s dog is Isabella 🙄. We considered naming DS Remy. Our friend named Remy warned us that a lot of dogs are named Remy. Guess what our neighbors named their new puppy right after our son was born 😂. 
    I don’t know if this is an UO, but I’m having trouble considering names that are in the top 20 most popular, even though one of my favorite names is up there. My husband has like the top boy’s name from the year he was born and he never minded, but I have an irrational fear of my kid being one of three with the same name in his class. 
  • @surlyjaneausten I understand not wanting to use a name that is super popular. If baby had been a girl I would've tried to do the same! I've known since I was a teenager though that if I ever had a boy he would be Michael so that made it easy for me. 
  • @bserena you can feel free and name your baby whatever you want!! Besides, the baby's name will become it's own and everyone will get used to it!
  • @babywiik my Lucy was ALWAYS going to be Lucy, even before she was conceived - because that was my grandmothers nickname for me. My first cousin that we are close with named her dog Lucy like 3 years before I had my Lucy. My family side eyed the heck out of me for directly "naming my kid after her dog" *EYEROLL* so it just extra irks my nerves. lol
    ECat504
    SO
    SD (11/2010)
    DD1 (09/2014)
    DD2 (10/2015)
    Baby Girl #4 (11/2020)
  • @surlyjaneausten I don't like top 20 names either, but I still like them to be normal and fairly common names (See: Lucy & Sophia). SO likes really out there names... Madeline makes the cut of normal but not very common in our area (though I totally know like 3 that I went to high school with - I just left that tidbit out to SO lol).
    ECat504
    SO
    SD (11/2010)
    DD1 (09/2014)
    DD2 (10/2015)
    Baby Girl #4 (11/2020)
  • @bserena some names are classics and will never not be popular! I totally get being attached to a name regardless of how popular it is. 
    @Ecat504 yes I feel the same. I want people to recognize them as names they’ve heard before, just not ones that everyone hears all the time. Also the thought of your family thinking you named your kid after your cousin’s dog made me laugh 😆. 
  • @Ecat504 I support you 10000%! My DD is named Daisy. I have heard “Aw that’s my dog’s name!” Or “I know a cow named Daisy!” Or “My aunts cat is named Daisy!” I’m always like gee, thats great. It is a fantastic name! But inside I am side eyeing hard. My DH’s uncle also made a jab at her name before she was born saying people wouldn’t take her seriously because it’s a cutesie name. Tell that to Daisy Ridley. 🙄 
  • Agreed! @lurvleybunchococonuts I just cannot wrap my mind around it. Same with the "lotus" baby thing. Not judging, just can't imagine doing that myself. 

I also feel that way about breastmilk jewelery.... again, whatever floats your boat, lol! But I just don't know that I get the point of saving my own powdered breastmilk to wear around  :#
  • All of these are great today! So to add to the naming an animal a person name, I didn't realize how terrible of an idea it was until after I had kids! Our animals are named Dexter and Bennet (dogs), Charlie and Miles (cats). I've lost count how many times I've called a kid a dog name or vice versa. 🤦‍♀️
    I also agree with everyone about top 20 names although right now our potential name is James so I'm just going to get over it. Naming 3 boys is difficult!
    I don't know what a lotus baby is and I feel like it isn't something I want to google so could someone enlighten me, please?
  • @1MommyRunner I LOVE the name Daisy! Daisies are also my favorite flower but I think it's super cute and so sweet!
  • @acdc1109 Lol! Lotus baby is where they leave the whole placenta attached to baby. People get these special bags that hold the placenta and take their babies home with it still attached. Not sure how long they stay on though... after reading just that much I had heard enough haha.
  • @bserena WHAT?!? 😳 (there is no proper emoji to describe how far my jaw just dropped!) That is a whole different level of crazy! The purpose of birth is because the baby doesn't need the placenta anymore or so I thought. 
  • @acdc1109 hahaha that was pretty much my reaction too! I am all for like delayed cord clamping, etc. but it is a whole other level to do that. With delayed cord clamping, they wait until the cord is white anyways, which at that point I believe the baby has stopped getting anything from the placenta anyways. There is also high risk of infection and I think many hospitals don't actually allow it anyways. Craziness!
  • @bserena haha you posted as I was typing and didn't refresh.

Yes! Delayed cord clamping totally makes sense and I requested with DD. But I dunno... Even dogs and other mammals know to eat/bury/disconnect their young from the placenta so I don't see how anyone could consider it a good natural thing. I didn't even think it was real until someone made reference to it in a babywearing group I'm in on FB and I just 😐😬 

BFP 3/21/2020!  OMG We're having TWINS! 4/17/2020
    --------------------------------
    LO arrived 11/9/2018!  We have a baby!
    Me: 33 | DH: 41
    Married: March 2016
    TTC #1/IUD out January 2017
    PCOS dx January 2018
    Medicated cycle 2.5mg Letrozole CD3-7 February 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018! 
    -------------------------------

TTGP December Siggy Co-Winner: Favorite Moments from Holiday Movies/TV 
    TTGP October Siggy Winner: Animals in Costume 

• I’m intrigued by the placenta encapsulation idea. I won’t do it but I was interested in seeing my placenta when I delivered and I didn’t get to. I don’t think they parade your organs around to you in general in the OR. From what I’ve read there’s no documented benefit, but I’ve heard anecdotes that it’s helped people with PPD 🤷🏼‍♀️. I would think that the reason it would get eaten by wild animals is due to desperate hunger and/or getting rid of any evidence that predators might find that would lead them to a vulnerable mother and babies. My friend who is expecting wants to do it and she said it costs about $300.  
  • @mia80 good examples LOL!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • kelk5kelk5 member
    I had never heard of lotus babies until this moment and am so grossed out 🤢

I'm not into the placenta eating/encapsulation thing. I read a bit about it with my first as some moms I knew were going to do it. It's a nope for me but if someone else wants to do it then they can go for it. I read it's not recommended primarily because of the risk for contamination when the pills are being made. 

@wychets we combined our accounts once we got married and just consider it our money. It helped with the transition once I stopped working after our second. But I honestly think that couples need to do what works for them. I've heard of so many different ways of splitting things or partial combo with rest split. But money can be something that leads to divorce so I think whatever arrangement a couple comes to that works for them is awesome. 
  • So I have to admit I literally just yesterday looked up placenta encapsulation in my area.  I wanted to know more about it, but honestly I still don't get it.  Like do I carry it with me and bring it home for someone to come to my house and make the pills?  Do they come to the hospital?  I then also read you can do a placenta smoothie and that is where the whole entire idea went right out the window for me.  Ummm WTF?!?! As an alternative, I have been heavily researching essential oil and supplement benefits for after birth and that is wayyyy more my lane in assisting postpartum women with their hormones.  Mine definitely went crazy after DD1, so I will out my $300 towards oils/supps lol. 

Also I had never heard of a lotus baby until just this moment and I. Am. Speechless.  WTAF.  :s 
  • So glad I wasn't the only one who didn't know what it was!
  • So, I looked up lotus baby. I really wish I hadn’t. Who wants to carry around a decaying placenta for 2-10 days?!? 🤢
  • I had never heard of the lotus baby thing and I’m going to have nightmares...y’all. Imagine the SMELL 🤢
  • @Ecat504 I hear you on the dog name. Someone said oh our dog is Zoey as well. I just dismissed it. I mean how is that even relevant. Also why even say it. 

@surlyjaneausten (I think?)...we try to avoid top 20 names. We do have an incredibly common last name. Our oldest DS (top 100 name) had the EXACT same first and last name as someone else in the 0-6 month childcare classes. I told them I better get the right kid back. (All worked out fine)

i had no idea about the lotus 😳

As for the placenta encapsulation. I know there’s a person here who will pick it up and “process” it and put it in capsules. I need all the help post baby in the PPD/PPA world. However I feel I’d have it done and then kind of freaked out by it and never take it. So...? Maybe not. 
  • Hahaha!! I'm laughing here reading all the reactions 😄 I had to look up lotus baby and yeah, I just imagined the smell🤢 as far as placenta encapsulation, i was seriously considering it because 1. PPD has been common among the women in my family so I want to try and be proactive And 2. Here in northern Norway, it'll be the dark time of the year. After the 1 week of December the sun wont come above the horizon and will be down for about a month. I can see that as a potential trigger for depression in itself. I was doing some research and found a website explained how it happened and how the ones preparing it keep the placenta sanitary and seperate. It seemed like one would really wantnt to trust the person they'd have do it. But then, the more research I did the more grossed out i was getting and besides no one does it here so not an option for me.
    @jaclyn0405 I like your idea of using oils and supplements for a more natural way to deal with PPD so I'll look more into that!
  • TW

@babywiik I found having a routine really helped. For me, daily success was showering, changing clothes, taking my vitamins, and putting on make up. Getting outside and getting exercise (a walk) helped. I found a good fish oil whether science says it’s helpful or not...for me helped. The idea of the encapsulation and helping...I’ll really do anything to help. I’m just skiddish if it. 

DH and I also celebrated when either of us put the baby safely and slowly into the crib.  Sometimes it gets to be a lot. Putting baby down can be life saving. So we celebrate that. Dark. But that’s where things go for me. 

You didn’t ask for that. But pushing forward and getting help are the best. I’m honestly doing the same locally. We live in the land of eternal 80’F and sun. I’m hoping that helps me. I’ve found there are a number of support groups I can join as well. Someone recommended the book “This Isn’t What I Expected”...I’m afraid I’ve downloaded a sample but haven’t started it yet. The biggest thing is don’t suffer in silence. 
  • Not gonna lie, I am slightly pleased to have been able to help enlighten so many of you to what a lotus baby is and reading the reactions :D:D 

@babywiik PPD/PPA is very real and very common.  As @name1109 said, please do not suffer in silence!  Recognizing when to put baby down and let them cry for a few minutes while you recollect yourself is so important.  No one wants baby to cry, but you can't pour from an empty glass <3 And please keep in mind there are pregnancy/breast feeding safe anxiety/depression medications available.  If you can manage with natural remedies/vitamins/supplements that's wonderful, but do not feel ashamed or guilty if you have to ask for further help or need to take a prescription medication.

I have anxiety and history of depression and have been on fluoxetine since before I was pregnant with DD.  Right before getting pregnant with her my OB and I decided to *attempt* weaning me off my med to see how I did (since I was already at a fairly low dosage). It was a disaster, but going back to the lowest dose worked well.  Not long after DD was born I remember crying on the phone with my OB asking if it was safe to increase my dosage to what it had been previously.  It was beyond "baby blues" and for a little while it helped.  Fast forward about a month or two later I was, again crying, exhausted beyond belief sitting in my PCPs office with a crying infant (the nurse, with permission, quickly took her from me and kept her happy during the appointment thankfully <3) while I sobbed about how of course I didn't want to hurt myself or anyone else and no I never had those types of thoughts, but I had an extreme desire to just want to run away with DD and hide in a dark cave and never come out.  Everything felt too overwhelming and I felt like everything rested on my shoulders and I could never get out from under it all. I was officially diagnosed with PPD, we doubled my medication, and discussed some good strategies on making "me time" a priority.  Just starting at 30 minutes twice a week, which seems insignificant, but it helps.  Since then I've been at the increased dosage (of course okay'd by my OB when we found out we were having the twins) and have been doing well since. I have a slight worry about what it'll be like after the twins are born, but I feel better in general now (and I have a few less added stress inducing events occurring) than I did at this point with DD.

BFP 3/21/2020!  OMG We're having TWINS! 4/17/2020
    LO arrived 11/9/2018!  We have a baby!
    Me: 33 | DH: 41
    Married: March 2016
    TTC #1/IUD out January 2017
    PCOS dx January 2018
    Medicated cycle 2.5mg Letrozole CD3-7 February 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018! 
    -------------------------------

TTGP December Siggy Co-Winner: Favorite Moments from Holiday Movies/TV