November 2020 Moms
Options

Questions for the doctor!

I know this varies and some are personal questions but even as a third time mom, when the doctor says "do you have any questions for me?" I always blank and say no and then walk out like "ohhh yeah I forgot to ask x, y, and z." As when I was a FTM I didn't even know what kind of questions I should or could ask the doctors. 

So I've been keeping a little list in my phone. What are you asking your doctor?
ECat504
SO
SD (11/2010)
DD1 (09/2014)
DD2 (10/2015)
Baby Girl #4 (11/2020)

Re: Questions for the doctor!

• Options
    I have been and will continue to ask about her recommendations regarding COVID. So far she's told me to limit public places as much as possible, but also that it's not going away and I still need to live life (I had asked about taking my older two to their dentist appointment/ ENT checks at the end of the month). 

As we get closer I will be asking about the current protocols for delivery as I know those change as the trajectory of the virus does.

Non-Coronavirus Question
    -I'm asking next time if there's an alternative for the glucose drink to check my tolerance levels - the drink makes me so sick. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Question for next time:
    Can I labor at home if I choose the vbac route or do I have to come in ASAP? 
    What is my hospital’s policy for gentle cesarean, immediate skin to skin, etc. I’m delivering at a different hospital this time and want to know if she’s ever done anything beyond the basic c section there. 
    @Ecat504 I’ve had horrible sciatic pain for both pregnancies. This time a recommendation from my chiropractor to roll out my glutes on a lacrosse ball have been really helpful. I’m sure there are guidelines online and if needed I can type out what I do. But they’re the perfect size and texture to help release the muscles that are clamping down on that sciatic nerve. 
  • Options
    I keep planning to ask when I have to stop traveling. And how far can I travel? And could I have baby at a different hospital if needed to.

I really want to go to my brother In law’s wedding but it’s a couple of hours away from the hospital. And a week before the due date. I’m pretty sure it’s a NO! But DD is the flower girl 😢 I think the only way I may be able to go is if baby is born a week before.

I asked today if it was safe to be carrying and picking up DD. She is about 30 pounds and sometimes a crazy crotch gremlin. OB said it’s safe, she can’t tell me not to pick up my child, but I should be encouraging her to climb up on her own.
  • Options
    I'm a FTM also and have been feeling a bit anxious about the whole delivery, I think mostly since I don't know what to expect. I have an US next week at the hospital (normal here) and I'm going to ask if they will give me a tour or when I can come in for one. I think being able to picture where I'll be and what the environment is like will help me prepare a bit. @lovelee3 I hope you can get a tour at some point before the big day comes! 
  • Options
    mia80mia80 member
    I'm hoping hospital tours start back up here before November... But not too optimistic right now. All prenatal classes have been cancelled, which is disappointing, but they have one online that we might do in September.

@lovelee3 I also have a suspected low lying placenta... So I have a million questions about that for my next OB appointment! 
  • Options
    @mia80 I know the Birth Hour had an online childbirth class (I think it's even on sale right now), and Evidence Based Birth has one too that I believe is 100% online right now.
    TW
    Me: 33 DH: 32
    Started Dating: 2003 Married: 2013
    Started TTC August 2016
    BFP: 2/1/17 MC: 2/8/17
    BFP: 3/8/17 MMC: 5/1/17
    BFP: 7/23/17 EDD: 4/5/18
    BFP: 2/27/20

• Options
    mia80mia80 member
    @hedgepig Thanks! I'll check those out 
  • Options
    kelk5kelk5 member
    @babywiik does your hospital offer classes, they might be online currently? The hospital we were planning to deliver at had three classes that were great. A labor and delivery class that was amazing, a breastfeeding class, and an infant CPR class. They didn't allow people to walk through the areas but the classes included a video tour. They were very helpful and even though I ended up having to deliver at another hospital the information was so helpful. Most of the info was the same, it was just the perks that were different (one hospital provided meals for 1 support person but the one we ended up at didn't). I also loved the booklets they gave us and I used those to review before my son was born. 

@1sttimemomma98 that's a good question to ask your provider and the hospital now so you can switch providers if you want to. It likely depends on if you are planning to give birth without medication. If you choose an epidural you will likely not be able to move your legs so you'll need to be laying down.
  • Options
    kelk5kelk5 member
    I always askmask midwife if there are any updates on COVID-19 and pregnancy.

I've delivered twice at the hospital we are planning for this baby and have had the same midwife for both deliveries, so my questions are usually very specific. If you are a FTM I'd recommend starting to look at different classes offered at the hospital and asking questions about how your OB/midwife would handle different situations during delivery (e.g., can you move around, medication options, episiotomy use, etc). That way you have time to change providers or look at different hospitals if what they provide is not in line with what you'd want. But I'd research C-sections and episiotomy, if I'm remembering correctly many hospitals report or can voluntarily report this information. With my daughter I remember looking at this information online for several hospitals in our area.
  • Options
    @kelk5 a few of the local midwives will have a childbirth class in September but that's it. I should maybe add that here the midwives, doctors and hospitals all work together rather than seperate as is common in the US. I ended up signing up for the birth hour course (know your options childbirth class) and so far have really liked it! As someone said, it is (was a few days ago) on sale for $100 off. I got the coupon code from one of the podcasts so I think I can feel free to share it here for anyone interested: 100off 
    The only option here in my town is to deliver at the hospital. They have birthing tubs and laughing gas, maybe some other things but no epidurals. If I decide i want one before i go into labor, they'll plan for me to fly across the fjord to another town with a bigger hospital. I think I'd rather stay home and be relaxed. They can handle emergencys but if something were to go wrong during the birth and they had time they'd fly me by ambulance plane to the bigger town. As I type this out it sounds bad but I'm not actually worried!😅 we live like 5 mins from the hospital and a month before due date they'll do an assessment to see if me and baby are risk free enough to deliver locally. If there are any concerns then I won't have a choice but to go to the bigger town the week before due date and wait for baby to come. I think it's similar to how homebirth midwives only allow low risk babies to be born at home.
  • Options
    I used to type questions in my phone with DD, now being my second time around I'm like "I got this" lol but these are all valid questions to ask!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml