November 2020 Moms

Drowning Prevention

A little PSA for our mamas with older kiddos and FTMs as well. 

I follow a woman named Nicole Hughes on social media (@nicolehughes8 on Instagram) who's 3 year old son died in June 2018. She has since become an outspoken advocate of Drowning Prevention and she is a FORCE. She is an excellent writer and SO relatable. My eyes have been opened to the reality of drowning (the number one killer of children ages 1-4) which can happen in 30 seconds for a toddler. 

She published her most recent article on Today's Parenting series about survival swim lessons, but she's also a strong voice AGAINST using the popular Puddle Jumpers. 

Please take a minute to read some of her stuff...it's heartbreaking and raw, but such an important message. 

https://community.today.com/parentingteam/post/how-do-we-save-our-toddlers-from-the-number-1-threat-to-their-lives

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Drowning Prevention

• edited July 2020
    @crizz13 thank you for sharing ❤ we had a Nov '18 mom in my group lose her toddler son to drowning earlier this summer. It is absolutely heart breaking 😞 

The thoughts regarding the life vest/puddle jumper were exceptionally interesting I thought. We do use a puddle jumper with DD, but that's primarily because I haven't been able to get her into a water survival class yet due to the pandemic.
    Eta: I wonder if we should stop using the puddle jumper while swimming so she doesn't get a false sense of security around water or what 🤔

BFP 3/21/2020!  OMG We're having TWINS! 4/17/2020
    --------------------------------
    LO arrived 11/9/2018!  We have a baby!
    --------------------------------
    Me: 33 | DH: 41
    Married: March 2016
    TTC #1/IUD out January 2017
    PCOS dx January 2018
    Medicated cycle 2.5mg Letrozole CD3-7 February 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018! 
    -------------------------------

TTGP December Siggy Co-Winner: Favorite Moments from Holiday Movies/TV 
    TTGP October Siggy Winner: Animals in Costume 

• @lurvleybunchococonuts So sad/scary. Right when I first read her story, DD1 was 3.5 and we immediately stopped using the Puddle Jumper. It was more work/ more of a pain when we were around water, but I didn't want to promote the false sense of security. Just our own personal choice.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Wow! Thank you so much for sharing @crizz13! I had never considered the false sense of security the a life jacket gives kids but definitely will do something for this baby regarding water/learning to find air and float.
  • Also, this is not to say that you shouldn't use a lifejacket in/around natural water. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • We did a swim class with DD1 and she could probably out swim me, (but I also can't swim at all). So I'm just a nervous wreck around any water - like even the bathtub. That being said, I still make them wear life jackets. And if we're around any type of water they're closely supervised.
    ECat504
    SO
    SD (11/2010)
    DD1 (09/2014)
    DD2 (10/2015)
    Baby Girl #4 (11/2020)