1st Trimester

Symptom Control..

Hi all, I’m 7 weeks here and am nauseated from 5am- 11am each morning w vomiting. I’m employed and have to be around other ppl sometimes (less so due to covid). Sorry if TMI, but the increased saliva/ phlegm seems to make this so much worse. I tried b6/ unisom last preg and didn’t do anything. Zofran worked but can’t take it until second trimester- my OB wants me to wait bc she says increased risk of cleft palate w 1st tri zofran. Anyone else been through a situation like this? Anything make it better?

Re: Symptom Control..

• Hi all, I’m 7 weeks here and am nauseated from 5am- 11am each morning w vomiting. I’m employed and have to be around other ppl sometimes (less so due to covid). Sorry if TMI, but the increased saliva/ phlegm seems to make this so much worse. I tried b6/ unisom last preg and didn’t do anything. Zofran worked but can’t take it until second trimester- my OB wants me to wait bc she says increased risk of cleft palate w 1st tri zofran. Anyone else been through a situation like this? Anything make it better?
    Never heard of Zofran and waiting until 2nd tri.  It's common to take in the worst of morning sickness, then again I don't have an MD - I just know many ladies that had been on in during 1st tri.

What other recommendations did your doc give?

Many people swear by smaller, more frequent meals.  Ginger Ale/Verners.  Boil fresh ginger in water and make a tea.  

• I know! Actually most of my friends w bad nausea took zofran their first tri! The paper showing the slightly increased risk is kinda new to my doc’s credit. At times I wonder if I should just beg for zofran.. but there must be a reason they don’t want me to. 

The other recommendation last preg was metoclopramide. Didn’t work. I’ve tried ginger and ironically makes it worse (?) I’ll try harder for the smaller more frequent meals tho.. it does seem like if I can get the crackers to stay down at 5am, the morning is a lot better..
  • Loading the player...
  • My husband comes to bed a lot later than me and I started asking him to bring me a snack.  I get up anyway to use the bathroom. That way my stomach isn't completely empty when I get up.  It seems to help a little.

Also drinking tons of water.   (or Crystal Lite lemonade. My Dr was more concerned with me drinking enough than the artificial sugar in Crystal Lite.  I would check with yours to see if they agree).  Spearmint is also helpful for me, so I have tons of mint candy.  Best of luck!  It got better for me around 14 weeks or so!  Keep being amazing!  
  • @dobiemom11 yes about the spearmint! I keep gum and tic tacs in my bag at all time these days! 

This morning was another few hours of puking. I’m eating a snack as I type (I eat dinner super early these days usually). 

Very good point about staying hydrated. My first preg, I couldn’t stay hydrated and routinely got uterine cramps first tri and couldn’t keep my prenatal down. They said I didn’t need to come in for an IV unless I was dizzy or felt faint. This time, it’s way less bad and I sip Powerade and green tea throughout the day.. no cramps. I think if there’s no cramps and no other signs of dehydration like dizziness etc, probably drinking enough. 

One more thing for any ladies going through this: I just opted to take some separate vitamins bc the all in one prenatal didn’t help w digestive issues. So I have some B vitamins (lots of folate), a gentle iron, and a multivitamin that’s never given me issues. It’s helping..