October 2020 Moms

Product spotlight 7/1: bottles, formula, foodstuff

edited July 2020 in October 2020 Moms
I'm combining a few topics because we are way behind.

Here's my input:
Bottles: DD hated all bottles. All of them. I work 5 days a week 10ish hour shifts, so her not eating while I was gone sometimes stressed me out to no end. The one we found that she eventually took the best was the nuk natural flow bottle. She never took more than 5oz per bottle, so we stayed at the smallest one the whole time. Also stayed with the slow flow nipple (even though it was pretty fast) as increasing flow risks bottle preference, and I didn't want to stop nursing. All kids are different though so we'll see with this next one. I really really hope my next kid takes a bottle easier. 

Foodstuff: we did purees because that's what they would do early on at daycare. Finger foods at home though too. I didn't have any magical devices or anything to share except those mesh teether things. We'd put frozen blueberries in them and she would chew/suck away!

Formula: I will leave that up to others as I have zero experience.

Re: Product spotlight 7/1: bottles, formula, foodstuff

• We were lucky with bottles because DS wasn’t picky. Mam were our favorite. Formula needs can be so different but I’ll say don’t stock up on one kind of formula in case your baby doesn’t tolerate it well.
    Me: 27 DH: 27
    Married 6/15/13
    BFP #1 5/8/16, EDD 12/31/16- DD born 9/10/16 at 24 weeks 
    ~In our hearts forever~
    BFP #2 10/14/17, EDD 7/1/18

• Bottles: we did the evenflo glass bottles for the longest time. They clean so easily versus the plastic bottles eventually have some sort of discoloration. We did the dr brown bottles once she could hold her own bottle just because I was terrified she’d end up breaking the glass ones if she threw it. J ate every two hours no matter what I did. Except at night, she’d only wake up once but never drank more than 3-4 oz in a sitting. I had a ton of the larger bottles we never really used because she wouldn’t drink that much. I also knew friends whose kids quickly outgrew the smaller size. Biggest advice is don’t go for a particular brand or size right away. Sometimes kids just refuse certain ones. 

Fórmula: I wasn’t planning on formula feeding but things happened. We had to try a special brand of Similac and when that didn’t work we tried Neocate and because it was medically necessary our insurance covered it. Not sure what advice I can give besides go with the flow. Also check for coupons. I used to give coupons away all the tine for like $5 off cans. 

Foodstuff: if you haven’t added feeding supples to your registry do it! You start needing them so fast and for a lot longer than some of the newborn items. I wish I had registered for more of the silicone bowls and spoons that we still use today. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Bottles: we loved MAM and Comotomo. However it's dumb that you can't pump directly into them. So I am doing the Kiinde system this time, assuming I have milk, pumping goes well, and there aren't other issues.

Formula: I introduced formula at 9.5 months as I was SICK of breastfeeding. He took it no problem, went with the Holle brand which is $$ but of course FTM could not tolerate the generic stuff LOLLLL this time around if she needs formula I am going with the usual brands like Similac and pick something that is good quality but doesn't break the bank (and most importantly that she likes)

Feeding: did baby led weaning and loved it. He mostly ate what we ate just in tiny portions and softer textures for some stuff obviously. I added some feeding things to the registry which was great and did a course on baby led weaning with Feeding Littles ($35 during Black Friday). SUPER HELPFUL, but there's books out there too, and FL has an IG page that is good reference as well. We did not do purees at all. Obviously needs change also depends on your childcare situation, they are way easier if you do daycare I think. DS did fantastic with BLW but not all kids do so hoping baby girl is a good eater as well (he was eating SO MUCH FOOD by 8 months that I did not feel bad at all when I weaned him from BF).
  • Bottles: I tried the evenflo glass bottles, comotomo and the tommee tippee bottles. DS spit up a lot and only liked the comotomo ones. I never got the larger size bottles and DH would just add more breast milk in the bottle if he finished the first serving. 

Formula: I breastfed almost exclusively, but starting just before DS turned a year, it was nearly impossible for me to get any milk when I pumped so he started having formula when I worked and I continued to BF the rest of the time. I used Lebenswert organic formula which is from Germany. 

Feeding: I swore that I would make my own baby food and bought all the supplies (steamer/purée machine, silicone containers, reusable pouches), but I found it was really so much easier to just buy the baby food. They eat such a small amount and it was nice to have a variety vs making a batch and then having to freeze the leftovers. I also tried BLW, but the gagging/choking that can happen really freaked me out so I just stuck to purée in the beginning. I’m not advocating for purée or BLW, but just know that DS had purée and now he can feed himself with both a fork and spoon with minimal mess and he eats almost anything (yes, I know this will likely change as he gets older) at 16 months old. 

For feeding supplies, I liked the ezpz spoons when he was first learning and I still use the ezpz mini mat. Now he uses stainless steel spoons and forks. They are the mini sized ones and they work very well. I started him on an open cup (shot glass) at 6 months and a straw cup. I skipped the sippy cup because it just seemed like another feeding item to buy. He learned how to use both the open cup and straw cup fairly quickly. I plan on buying some small cups (ezpz cup or duralex glass cups) for this baby because once DS outgrew using the shot glass the only other small cups I had were 8 oz mason jars and those are still a bit big for him to use. DS has never had an issue with throwing his plate so I never purchased the ones that suction to the high chair or table. I often use our dishes now and it hasn’t been an issue. The only reason I like the mini mat is because it has separate sections for the food and the sides gave him something to push the spoon against when learning to self feed. 

Bibs: I love the bumkins bibs because you can easily rinse them in the sink and they dry fast and you can throw them in the washer as well. The silicone ones are nice when the kiddo is older and can pick out food that dropped in the pouch. If you are planning on doing BLW or really for anyone in the beginning, I really liked the bibs that covered the arms as well, it made for less washing of outfits! 
  • Bottles: my boy wasn’t picky if daddy was feeding him, so we alternated between Phillips Avent, Dr Browns, and Mam, depending on what was clean. My lactation consultant recommended Dr Brown’s preemie nipples for the first couple months so that he wouldn’t get used to the fast flow and refuse to nurse. Notice I said “if daddy was feeding him...” if anyone else was giving him a bottle (grandma, etc) he would only take Dr Browns. Weird kid. 😂

Formula: We used formula exactly one time. Got some similac samples in the mail and grandma has to use it once when she was babysitting and ran out of milk. (This was right after I went back to work, which followed a 2-day power outage and a bout of mastitis so I had NO stash built up.) Agree with @profmcgonagall not to stock up because needs change—you might end up needing dairy-free or a special kind. But you can sign up for free samples with both Similac and Enfamil. I got three full-size tubs from Similac, each a slightly different kind. 

Foodstuffs: Agree with @babycakesday on registering for things like eating utensils and bowls. We didn’t. I regret it. We did homemade purées and you DO NOT NEED a special baby food maker, unless you don’t have a blender. Loved this cookbook, later on more for ideas more than actual recipes.

• AB518AB518 member
    Bottles:  I mostly had the glass Dr. Brown's bottles.  DS wasn't picky at all when it came to bottles.  He would use any brand.  I eventually switched to the Comotomo bottles because they ended up being my favorite.  I wish that I wouldn't have bought so many Dr. Brown's bottles before realizing our preferences.  They were good bottles; I just disliked the little extra effort needed to clean them.

Formula: DS was exclusively breastfed while I was on maternity leave.  I had been planning to switch DS to formula when I went back to work because pumping at work would be impossible on most days.  However, I still breastfed in the morning and at night until DS was about 13 months old, so he got both breastmilk and formula.  DS didn't have any sensitivities, so he was able to drink most brands of formula that we tried.  We ended up buying it in bulk from Costco, so I think that we mostly used Similac.

Sippy cups:  DS never liked sippy cups.  We tried several different styles and brands.  He refused to drink from them.  He also disliked those miracle non-spill cups.  (I don't know what they are exactly called.)  He really liked the cups with straws.  He went straight from bottles to the cups with straws.  

Bibs:  We had bought a bunch of those bibs with the pouch to catch food.  Initially, we thought that we had wasted money on them, but then we found out that they are most useful for toddlers who are feeding themselves.  They quickly became one of our favorite items while DS was a toddler.

Other items:  During the toddler years, we discovered that DS was throwing his spoons, forks, plates, bowls, and cups in the garbage can.  At first, we couldn't figure out why everything seemed to be disappearing.  DS probably thought that he was being helpful.  Having a lock on the garbage can in the kitchen is a good idea for the toddler years.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • jgrodojgrodo member
    Bottles: ended up doing doctor brown. If you have any stomach issues doctor browns are the best. 

Formula: def get from the hospital and the pediatrician will have samples to if you ask. We ended needing a specialized formula but the pediatrician regularly gave us samples that helped lower our cost.  Target also often has good sales in formula. 

Feeding: liked the ezpz mini cup, ezpz spoon, gootensils, small maroon spoon.  
  • BLW is more labor intensive because you have to be prepared for choking hazards and watch the gagging reflex closely but my son did super well even with no teeth until 12 months. He's been using utensils no problem since he was 13 months. And regarding pickiness...he literally ate EVERYTHING until 15ish months then went on a really picky stage. Since 22 months he is back to eating most things and branching out more but now has his own preference about what he wants to eat!
  • Bottles: my son wouldn't transfer milk well and so he got switched to bottles at just over a week. We used the Dr. Brown bottles because we had one that came in a baby box and he liked them immediately. He did not like the Tommee Tippee bottle we had, but every baby is different. I love  having singles of a bunch to try. 
    If you end up bottle feeding I recommend having enough bottles for an entire day plus two. 😬It seems like a lot, but if you get behind, having to wash a bottle while your baby is screaming hungry is the worst. We also definitely lost a couple and our friend melted one. We used the lowest flow and never increased them. Definitely get a special bottle brush(s), and I recommend those grass like drying racks. We never used small bottles, just used 8oz ones even when he was only drinking 2-3 oz. 

Formula: I was an undersupplier and then totally dried up when I got on birth control (even the progesterone only) so DS was on formula at 4 1/2 months on. Get a formula mixer pitcher!! Seriously. You can make a full day the night before and then just pour it into bottles. We used Enfamil Enspire. It's pricy but there were lots of coupons so it wasn't awful. It advertises as closest to breast milk so when we started supplementing I went with it and then didn't switch. Definitely some FTM guilt about using formula which I will try to avoid if breastfeeding doesn't work this time - and I'll probably use a cheaper formula. But I did like the Enspire, so maybe not. We also got a couple premade formula things to have in the diaper bag in case something happened and we got stuck out longer. They have a long shelf life so we could just carry a couple. Actually, I think the LC gave them to us initially. 

Food stuff - we ended up doing a sort of combo of blw and puree. I wanted to just do blw but 🤷🏻‍♀️. There are some blw purists who have strong opinions about doing both so if you venture into FB/other groups keep that in mind. I would definitely register for spoons/forks/plates...maybe plates. Honestly, DS just uses either a paper plate or regular ones now and we would put food right on the high chair instead of a plate when he was still in that. Sippy cups are going to be like bottles- some babies don't care, some it takes like 6 before they'll use one. My son wouldn't use a sippy at all and kept milk from a bottle until 1. He would mimic us and drink from open cups but it was very messy 75% of the time... but, he used that skill to transition to 360 cups which are absolutely amazing and the only thing he drinks out of now (aside from a regular cup and the occasional juice box). We tried soft sippies of so many brands, hard sippies, straw cups, water bottles... 360 it was. He can/will use others now. 

• DD1 got super colicky with none of the bottles we tried worked until we tried Playtex Ventaire. One of my coworkers recommended them for colic and is worked wonders.

Food stuff I made all of the purées, it’s super easy! I cooked the food, blended it, and froze it in ice cube trays. 

When we started using formula with DD1 I bought Gerber Good Start and she had no issues so we never switched, but I would’ve started with a cheaper one first because it was pricey and they never had coupons.