October 2020 Moms
Options

Feeding discussion: breastfeeding and formula questions

Starting this based on our discussion in the randoms. Let's keep it civil both ways! What works for one mom and baby may not work for another, but we are here to support each other and lift each other up. ❤️

Re: Feeding discussion: breastfeeding and formula questions

• Options
    A word of caution about La Leche League, and this is just based on some experiences from some of my close friends. They are a very useful resource but they tend to be a little militant about BF. I am sure experiences are a mixed bag, but wanted to put it out there.

My lactation consultant was also $120 for at -home visits and $75 for in-office. I was able to use HSA money to pay, although I think I had not looked into my benefits very well because I know my husband's company has a specific program to cover for breastfeeding support.
  • Options
    @morethanamama I agree with your word of caution. I was in the middle reading The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding when I went into labor and threw it out (metaphorically) by the time I got home from the hospital. 😂 There were some helpful things for me, but their big thing is “it’s such a natural process” and can make you feel really guilty about struggling. IT’S HARD!

I had my baby at a hospital and before I left they set me up with an appointment at their Mom & Baby Care Center. I saw a lactation consultant there maybe 4 times, and was never charged a dime. (I also went there for an after-birth support group which saved my sanity.) I am planning on delivering at the same hospital and hope the Care Center is still operating with all the Covid issues! 🤞
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @baseballismyfavoriteseason definitely agree with the support group! My hospital had one run by lactation. Was a lifesaver for me to troubleshoot, hear about how other women were handling things, and getting to do weighted feeds so I could physically tell how much milk she was getting. I was only able to participate for the 8 weeks I was on maternity leave but I was feeling really good and confident at that point too.
  • Options
    AB518AB518 member
    I met with a lactation consultant in the hospital after DS was born.  She gave me some good information, but honestly, I didn't like her approach and attitude.  It made me not interested in seeing a lactation consultant again.

I thought that I was going to struggle with producing enough milk because my sister and my mother had difficulty with their milk supply.  However, I soon learned with DS that oversupply can be an issue too.  Everyone seems to talk about not producing enough milk, but nobody had warned me about oversupply issues.  For me, it mainly caused breast engorgement which was painful.  Luckily, I didn't have some of the other problems that are associated with oversupply.  It also took a really long time for me to fully stop lactating; it finally stopped when I got pregnant with this baby.  I started to think that I had a prolactin producing tumor when the supply wouldn't fully dry up.

If you plan to formula feed, I recommend not stocking up too much on a specific formula before baby has had a chance to try it.  I have had several friends find out that their babies had sensitivities to certain formulas after stocking up on formula.  They ended up wasting or giving away the formula, and formula usually isn't cheap.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I was in the hospital for sooo long after DD was born. I had to stay an extra day because she had some jaundice and low blood sugar which required an IV. I was constantly nursing her, but my milk didn't actually come in until after I went home, so like 3-4 days after she was born. It was definitely a rough start. They did supplement with formula a little bit in the hospital and sent me home with some to supplement with at home.

Afterwards I didn't have many issues. I went back to the hospital to see a lactation consultant when she was a week or two old and didn't realize it'd be like $100. It was sort of helpful at the time. It probably wasn't necessary for me, but I had tons of anxiety. I think it's a valuable resource if needed though!
    Me: 29 || DH: 29
    TTC #1 4/2016 || dx NIR PCOS 7/2016 || BFP 4/2017
    DD - 12/28/17 <3

TTC #2 3/2019
    BFP 5/2019 || MC - D&C 5/2019
    BFP 2/2020 || EDD 10/10/2020
  • Options
    babycakesdaybabycakesday member
    edited June 2020
    @AB518 I second the don’t stock up on any specific formula brand. DD ended up not being able tolerate any of the counter formulas and we had to get it prescribed. 

I also had the same experience as @MJDsquared. DD had jaundice and my milk didn’t come in until two days after i left the hospital. We ended up supplementing some tablespoons of formula between feedings until my milk came in. I was so set on breastfeeding so our lactation consultant worked with us to help me be as successful as I could. She helped me formula feed DD with a spoon and syringe. 

In the end, DD had a severe milk allergy and we had to get the prescription milk for her. It worked out great for us because we just paid a monthly copay of $30 for a months worth of her formula. Cost was a huge factor for why I wanted to breastfeed. I was glad to get the support to try and make it work but also glad that we found a solution that helped DD feel good and be healthy. 

Another huge thing is surrounding yourself with people who support your decision. My FIL and MIL constantly pushed for me to not breastfeed her and shamed me for doing it in the living room. Even if i was covered. I ended up sitting upstairs in my room alone and breastfeeding made me feel very depressed. I had no friends who had kids either so I often felt alone. I try my best now to support my breastfeeding friends by bringing them food or water, watching their kids while they’re stuck on a bench or just sitting and keeping them company. I’m excited to try again because I know a lot more and have more friends who have gone through it to support me. I’m also refusing to go to my in laws house as long as that crap attitude continues. My closest friends have all breastfed and formula fed so I know either way I won’t feel like I have to defend my decision. 
  • Options
    @babycakesday oh god, I'm sorry your in-laws treated you like that. I would be livid. I've already told DH that I likely will be shirtless in our house for the first 6 months of the twins' lives. My goal is to be able to tandem breastfeed and nursing tops were just not designed for that  :D
  • Options
    I’m so modest and I was super nervous about having to breastfeed. Day one I was totally boobs out and didn’t care who grabbed my boobs to help me get her to latch. 😆 I did not care. I would walk around the house with just my nursing bra mostly because once my milk came in, the bra helped ease some of the ache and I could slip the ice packs in. 
  • Options
    Breastfeeding was very challenging for me in the beginning. I cried A LOT those first few days because I felt like I was an incompetent mother since I couldn’t get him to nurse properly. DS was born at 37w1d and he had to have some O2 after birth so I wasn’t able to nurse him immediately. Once he was breathing better I tried to get him to latch and I was unsuccessful. Same as @babycakesday I didn’t care who helped me try and get him to latch! It was a struggle for at least a week until we finally fingered it out. I met with 2 different lactation consultants within the first couple days. I never thought about quitting, but I can easily see how someone might especially if they did not have a support system to help. I’m actually glad that it was a challenge because if this baby also has trouble I’ll know what to expect and will be more prepared especially considering I’ll have a toddler to take care of as well. 
  • Options
    @babycakesday I'm so sorry you had been treated that way by your in-laws! :( Honestly I had made the decision to breastfeed even before we talked about children. And I never really knew how DH felt about it until we were visiting friends in Indy over spring break a couple of years ago who had just had their first baby. She didn't care where she was - we were in the middle of the mall even - and she just fed her baby right then and there. She didn't cover up or anything and I kept looking at DH to see if he was uncomfortable to gauge how he felt, and he didn't care in the least. So I have no problem doing the same because I know he will support me!
  • Options
    I very very much want to be able to nurse this time. DS had trouble transferring enough milk so I started pumping and was an exclusive pumper for 4 months but my supply kept going down and eventually her was formula fed. He's a happy healthy 2 year old now. 
    I'm very anti nipple shield for myself this time - his pediatrician and the LC said it likely made it harder for him to transfer milk which led to everything. But I'm also going to be very pro mental health check ins - I didn't realize at the time but I had PPD/PPA and not the best support system and I think it contributed greatly. Especially not being able to nurse messed with my head even though I knew logically he was doing just fine. Regardless of how this LO gets fed I'm going to be happy. 
  • Options
    KurtniKurtni member
    I had a really good breastfeeding experience until I returned to work at 16 weeks. A couple months after that we had to start supplementing because I just did not respond well to the pump and my supply started dropping. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I am very much hoping to breastfeed primarily, but my mom had supply issues, though she had J's even before she got pregnant and had compression issues, I'm not nearly that bad, so hopefully I wont have those issues. My husband is all for it and super supportive. He used to hand his mom his siblings for feeding time since he's the oldest lol... 
  • Options
    @aefsparrow have you thought about doing placental encapsulation?  supposed to help with supply.
    Current pregnancy -
    First BFP on 1/4/22.  Due date 9/13/22.

Four prior losses, no living children - 1 first trimester miscarriage, 1 blighted ovum, 1 chemical, and one extreme premature live birth daughter who died at 15 days old.

• Options
    @kboydbowman I looked into it, but not really my thing. I'm planning to breastfeed as much as I can, and if we have to supplement with formula we will. That's what they did with my sister, and I was entirely formula fed since my mom had a breast reduction before I was born so obviously couldn't do any. The doctor told me that since my moms issue wasnt neccesarily production, but pressure issues due to the breast weight he is hopeful I wont have that problem.
  • Options
    @aefsparrow  That story about your husband is the cutest thing ever. 
  • Options
    I got my pump today, so crazy! Ordered in on Wednesday night! Pretty excited about it. For someone who didn't really enjoy breastfeeding I think I'm way too excited lol. 
  • Options
    @morethanamama I got mine at the end of last week and was so excited too! It’s just going to stress me out trying to figure out how to use it lol. Especially since I’ll be mostly exclusively breastfeeding until I go back to teaching in January. So I suppose I’ll have to pump a few times to get the hang of it and build a supply for daycare...
  • Options
    My insurance one won't get shipped until after the baby is born, but if no one buys my registry one I'll probably order it a few weeks before the baby is born so I can start figuring out how to use one.
    Current pregnancy -

Four prior losses, no living children - 1 first trimester miscarriage, 1 blighted ovum, 1 chemical, and one extreme premature live birth daughter who died at 15 days old.

• Options
    @kboydbowman I also have Kaiser. I just called them, and they told me the same. I don’t see why they expect us to call while in the hospital, but it is what it is. I read mixed reviews online for the one they provide. Some also said they would give you a loaner until you get the one they provide permanently.
  • Options
    @mamahosch my personal suggestion based on my experience is to definitely start pumping a few weeks after your milk has come in and supply is established. I didn't pump much in the beginning and thought I wouldn't need a stash but lord knows I did! 
  • Options
    @animalandplantrescuer they're giving me a Medela Pump In Style Advance.  I'm going to also get a Spectra2 (either if someone buys one off my registry or pay for one on my own if not).  And yeah, I think it's ridiculous you have to wait until the baby is born!  Wouldn't it make sense t have it ahead of time so you can figure out how to use it???  I guess they don't want to have to pay for ones for women who end up losing the baby late in pregnancy.
    Current pregnancy -

• Options
    Honestly there’s not much to learning how to use a breast pump before baby comes. But there are OTHER reasons that it is crazy (to me) that you can’t get it till after. One is sanitizing all the parts—I didn’t manage to get to this before baby arrived, so my SIL ended up doing it for me because I was exhausted and my hands were full with just trying to nurse. The other reason I think of right of the bat is the processing time it takes. With my first I had to go somewhere to pick it up (not something I think I would have had the bandwidth for later as we were going back and forth to the pediatrician and then he had to be on a bilirubin light bed which confined us to the house) and the second we were able to order online but it took a week or two to arrive. There are cases that you might need a pump right away, like if nursing isn’t going well or baby has to be in the NICU... That would stress me out. Glad you have a backup plan. 
  • Options
    I don't know if this is everywhere but my hospital had a Medela hospital grade pump and they gave me a bag of fresh parts and let me use it there since I was having trouble latching and needed to pump a bit/Express. So I'm guessing in the case of a NICU stay hopefully they will have options?
  • Options
    @morethanamama That’s a good point. You’re probably right in case of a NICU stay. My little guy was never technically admitted to NICU and they just had me hand-express, so that’s what I was thinking of. 
  • Options
    @baseballismyfavoriteseason They told me it would be delivered in 2-3 days, but who knows if that’s reality, especially in the current climate we’re in. But I agree with everything you wrote. 
  • Options
    @animalandplantrescuer that's what they told me, too.
    Current pregnancy -

• Options
    Worst case you guys could get a hakaa which is super cheap and still helps to relieve pressure, or even a hand pump. I found the hand pump to be a nifty little thing to have for quick trips sometimes!
  • Options
    My plan is to start pumping from day 1. I had supply issues with my last 2 so we supplemented with formula. I have zero problem doing that again, but if I can avoid paying for formula, that would be great. 

I’m sorry to hear some of you have had bad experiences with LLL. The leaders at my local group are amazing and I would like to get certified at some point too. They always encourage “fed is best”, and if a mom is determined to breastfeed, they have lots of support and resources. I never felt pressured, and when I had to add formula, they all cheered me on for making the best decision for me and the baby. 

This is my fourth and final baby and I’m looking forward to the process and enjoying them as much as possible. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I’ve breastfed, formula fed, and exclusively pumped. All have their pros and cons, IMO. I’m definitely of the “Fed is best” camp, but I really hope to be able to breastfeed this baby until at least 12 months since my job will be more accommodating for pumping. With DD1 I was a full time hospital nurse and it was next to impossible to pump because I was stretched so thin. 

Pumping wise, the suction pattern of the Medela PISA and Spectra are completely different and it was REALLY hard to switch between the 2. My boobs had an aversion to the Spectra after being so used to the PISA lol.
  • Options
    With both of mine I did great nursing but like previous poster said, once I returned to work my supply dipped due to stress and pumping.  Luckily, I built up a decent supply from pumping in between feedings.  Pumping was my least favorite activity with a newborn, seems like your boobs are always just out.  However, I’m glad I forced myself to do it once I had the stash when my supply ran out.

Also, pump in the mornings when your supply is heaviest!  Invest in a good nursing bra for night time as well.  Good luck!
  • Options
    @coldbrew do you have one to suggest other than the Spectra that might be a better complement to the Medela?  The primary reason I was looking at the Spectra is because I was planning on it being my "work pump" since it's supposed to be quieter.
    Current pregnancy -

• Options
    @kboydbowman those are the only 2 I have used, sorry!