December 2020 Moms
Options

GTKY Monday 06/08

When you were younger, what was your very first job and how old were you? 

Re: GTKY Monday 06/08

• Options
    First of all, I love Good Burger and my sister and I were referencing it the other day! 

My first job was at a fairly nice salon as a receptionist when I was 16. I worked there the summer before my senior year. The job itself was fine but the owner was a nutjob. She had the place wired with cameras and would basically sit at home and spy on everyone. If there weren't any customers the stylists would watch the tv that was in the seating area and us girls up front would flip through magazines. (This makes me realize that this was in 2006 before there were smart phones lol). She would call us on the office phone and yell at us.

I also remember her scolding my co-receptionist that she wasn't wearing enough makeup to the office and looked like a mess. Mind you, this girl was 18 and very pretty. The owner was a psycho lol. I quit before my senior year started.

I thought I wanted to be a hairstylist when I worked there. I ended up going to nursing school after I graduated and then later transferring to dental hygiene school. 
    Me: 30 DH: 31
    Married: May 2008
    DD Born: March 2018
    DS Born: April 2019
    Due with #3 December 2020!
  • Options
    mindyb2019mindyb2019 member
    edited June 2020
    @JBcakes08 haha I love good burger too. Omg your boss sounds like a jerk and psycho at the salon, wow. I had an old boss like that before. She used to yell at me All the time and she threw mail at my head. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I started babysitting around 13, but my first “real” job was at CVS at 15. I worked on the register for a bit and then moved into the photo lab.

My step kids are 13 and 16 and sometimes I cannot believe that I was working so much at their age. They’re just kids! I thought I was so mature!
  • Options
    @mindyb2019 that’s terrible! I’ve definitely had worse bosses since then unfortunately, a couple were downright abusive. I hope you quit after she threw something at your head! Who thinks that’s ok?? I’m amazed at the people that get promoted  to leadership positions sometimes. 
    Me: 30 DH: 31
    Married: May 2008
    DD Born: March 2018
    DS Born: April 2019
    Due with #3 December 2020!
  • Options
    sejicasejica member
    Prep cook in a restaurant at 16. Some babysitting before that.
    BabyName Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    My first job was when I was 17 and in high school. I worked at Taco Time lol
    I hated it because my boss was such a creepy dirty pervert. He used to say really inappropriate things to me. NOT cool! I didnt work there long but the only reason why I did stay was that I worked with this cute boy from my class at school that I had a crush on haha. I loved working nights with him. 

@laurenspdx I live in Canada but I love CVS LOL. We dont have one here. Every time my hubby and I travel to the usa we always go to CVS so much haha. 

@JBcakes08 It was terrible! She was horrible to me. I hated going to work. I used to walk home on my lunch hour cause I lived close by and I used to cry all the time everyday from her abusive behavior. I didnt work there too long after she thew the mail at my head. The company had another office in a different location and it just worked out that the owner asked if I wanted to move to that location and I couldn't say yes fast enough haha. I was happy to leave her. 
  • Options
    I taught 2 and 3 year olds ballet, tap and tumbling when I was like 14? The owner would take some tuition charges off my personal dance classes in exchange for that. And my best friend was also helping teach so we always had a blast. 

First paying job though was at Sonic Drive-In. Ugh. I do not recommend working there during the summer in Texas, so hot! There were flies everywhere in that place and the managers were questionable. I can’t eat there much anymore. 
  • Options
    willashbabywillashbaby member
    edited June 2020
    There were random babysitting/ice skating lessons before this but I don't count those since it wasn't regular. I was 12, 8th grade. I worked off the books in a small local pharmacy. Cash register, stock, filing (not filling, don't worry) prescriptions. I have never NOT had a job since then. They day I'm eligible to retire, I'm DONE! 
  • Options
    @shelmcclel Oh my god Limited Too was my ENTIRE wardrobe from age 9-14... so jealous 😂
  • Options
    @BmcD2016 Do you still know how to tap dance at all? I take adult tap 😁 I’ve been tap dancing for 8 years and I LOVE it! We’ve got a great group of ladies. 
  • Options
    @mindyb2019 I do! I haven’t gone to a class in like 17 years but it hasn’t left me, I loved tap so much! I would love to find a local studio that does adult classes that work in our schedule. I’d also love to take ballet classes again. 
  • Options
    @BmcD2016 that’s awesome. I love tap too. So much fun and great exercise. You should find a local studio and do it. Adult tap is hard to find. There’s only a few studios that offer it here close to me. 
  • Options
    I did a bit of baby sitting when I was 15 - 17 but my first real job was cashier at a local grocery store, Pathmark. I was 17 and needed up working in a lot of different departments. I hated it there. Lol
  • Options
    Babysitting aand working for my families real estate office.  I answered phones,  filed paper work,  made coffee,  and did the bookkeeping. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    older siblings: ds 16 dd 14 ds 13 dd 11 dd 7 
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Babysitting was my first job, but my first official W-2 required job was as a cashier at a store called Christmas Tree Shop at 14. Hated that store for years because of working there, and now it's top of my list when COVID restrictions ease up! haha 
  • Options
    @laurenspdx hahaha same! I think that’s why I got a job there, because the managers knew me and my Mom from shopping there all of the time.