3rd Trimester

Baby size matters

Let me tell you why size matters. In 2013 I was pregnant for the 1st time. I made a post asking about size I was currently 38 wks to what my dr had told me but in reality I was further along than that and my dr refused to check or update my progression. My questions on the size of my child during pregnancy had gone unanswered and ultimately almost killed me. Literally I almost died. The comments I had received about the previous post were what does it matter as long as the baby is healthy...um my health matters too. Anyway, the size of my child was 10 lbs 11 oz and 24 inches long. This was my first pregnancy. My body was not prepared to birth a child of that size. I ended up loosing 2000cc's of blood (A half gallon). I wanted my body to have plenty of time to recover before we tried for baby # 2. Which I miscarried early on. Not long after I found out I was pregnant with baby # 3 and he arrived in 2017 at 8 lbs 9 oz 21 inches long. Much better and an easier delivery. Easier on recovery time too. I am currently 35wks 5 days with baby # 4. Two wks ago I went into early labor and was able to get it to stop however, we did a growth scan because as it turns out I give birth to big babies and it is not good for my health as my history has provided. The growth scan showed that this one was just shy of 6lbs at 33 wks 5 days along. The rest of the measurements where showing about 2 wks a head of what my current state of pregnancy were at. I am not looking at trying to have more GIANT and big babies I just want normal healthy size babies. So if you are concerned like I was or am ALWAYS get a 2nd drs Opinion both YOUR health and the health of your baby matters. I was not given the option of a C-section with my first because the size was unknown. When my 1st arrived the delivery process was hard on him too. His eyes had hemorrhaged and you could see where the blood had pooled in his eyes. 

Now some may say well you have big babies because your tall. Yes, I am tall I am 5' 10" and my husband is 5' 6". The height comes from my side of the family but being given an estimation on baby size would have helped me be a better advocate for myself. The dr even admitted that the baby should not have gotten that big and he was approximately 3 weeks late.

Re: Baby size matters

• Loading the player...
  • OP late growth scans are notoriously inaccurate. for 3 of my kids they have been off by 1-2 lbs from actual birth weight. Complications happen with babies of any size. My largest baby was my easiest birth and recovery...  Sorry you had issues but having a big baby is not in and of itself an issue. 
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    Diagnosed : unexplained infertility
    6 rounds of IUI and a MC 2/2014, rainbow twins 4/2015
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx
    IUI 2 rounds, baby girl 12/17

• I was born at 36 weeks and I was 10lbs. I went through first pregnancy telling the doctor we had to keep an eye on size and we did. They refused a third trimester ultrasound because I was measuring 2 weeks behind and then had an 8lb baby that was came out blue and caused so much trauma the LOST COUNT of my stitches. I have an extra 2 days in the hospital and 2 blood transfusions. I still can't sit on an uncushioned chair for more than 5 minutes and its been nearly 3 years. Big babies cause damage. Don't tell me I am uneducated regarding what happened to me. 
  • I was born at 36 weeks and I was 10lbs. I went through first pregnancy telling the doctor we had to keep an eye on size and we did. They refused a third trimester ultrasound because I was measuring 2 weeks behind and then had an 8lb baby that was came out blue and caused so much trauma the LOST COUNT of my stitches. I have an extra 2 days in the hospital and 2 blood transfusions. I still can't sit on an uncushioned chair for more than 5 minutes and its been nearly 3 years. Big babies cause damage. Don't tell me I am uneducated regarding what happened to me. 
    Sooooo you dug this thread up from 5 months ago to make an inaccurate point?

If you were born at 36 weeks and were 10 lbs, it's very likely the ovulation date (and subsequently, the estimated due date) were inaccurate. 

An 8 lb baby isn't abnormally large. At all. My first was 8 lbs 6 oz, second was 8 lb 10 oz and I had zero issues delivering vaginally, with very minimal tearing. If an 8 lb baby is delivered blue due to lack of oxygen it is very unlikely that it has anything to do with the size. 

And, as was pointed out numerous times, late growth scans are notoriously inaccurate. Essentially, the size of your baby wasn't the source of your issues. Unless you have underlying medical issue like dwarfism. 

*Formerly LuND*
    Me: 35 | DH: 37
    TTC: 7/2016
    Low AMH, mild MFI
    BFP 7/29/17
    EDD: 4/5/18
    <3  DS born 4/4/18  <3
    BFP #2 7/2/19
    EDD 3/13/20

• 8lb baby is by no means big.  Sorry you went through what you did @mrswheeler812, but crap happens in delivery.  I know a lady who had a 6lb baby vaginally and nearly bleed out on the table (baby number 5 no previous issues or future issues) and is now due with baby 9.