September 2020 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight 5/22: Baby Monitors

edited May 2020 in September 2020 Moms
This weeks product spotlight is all about baby monitors!! Feel free to use the prompts or just type away! Links/photos welcome.
I snagged a schedule that's been used I think by a few BMBs now, but if you guys want to add/change anything let me know!!

This is a place for FTMs to ask questions about, S+TMs to share their prior experience with, and everyone to share what they're eyeing in the world of maternity, baby and postpartum products. Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product to help streamline and make it easier to look back and reference!

To view past Product Spotlights or the upcoming schedule, see here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fCSvGqefiQ7m-cqNEBzPuaIqF7BL2ost0Ta2sMjC-8w/edit?usp=sharing

For S+TMs (or FTMs that already have said item): 

• Individual (e.g., lifestyle) factors that might influence your choice:
  • Favorite baby monitor:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • What you like and don't like about it:
  • Any special features? (video, two way talk, temp reading, wifi, battery, convenience, etc)
  • Is there a baby monitor you don’t have but are considering? Why?:
  • Is there a baby monitor you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: 
  • Would you buy it again?
  • Additional thoughts on baby monitors?:

For FTMs:

Baby monitors you’re currently interested in:

• Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • Any questions for S+TMs?:

(template taken from August 2020)

Re: Product Spotlight 5/22: Baby Monitors

• Options
    When we had our first baby in 2014 we wanted something that we could access from our phone for viewing. At that time we selected a DropCam and it has been great. When we had our second baby in 2016 we got a Nest Cam (who purchased DropCam) and the quality is better then the original (especially at night).

We got ours from Home Depot and they are around $129 (which is much less than what we previously paid). We like that we can easily move it to other rooms as needed (especially during this distance learning time). You don’t have to purchase the subscription (i.e. where you can view actual recordings). We don’t need another one as the baby will share a room with my youngest but we will be purchasing the subscription for a few months after the baby is born as it keeps me mentally in check being able to go back and see when the baby moved while sleeping, etc while I’m another room. 

Also, we have never had a problem with someone accessing our kids camera and talking to them. We do have our WiFi password protected, which I highly recommend.

Once the kids are older we will move the cameras out of their rooms and to other parts of our home.
  • Options
    We use nest cams as well. Love that I can access it on my phone, tv, or other devices throughout the house. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We use the Infant Optics DXR-8 and really like it. I plan to just get a second camera to sync to my current monitor.

Good idea on moving the cameras to other parts of your home @boymommatwo. DH and I were just talking the other day about how long to keep a camera in kids' rooms. My niece is almost 6 and still has hers. I'm not sure what we will do. What age did you move them out?
  • Options
    @ashwortl my oldest is 6 and we still have one in his room. I would guess sometime in the next 4 years or so, whenever he starts requesting, needing, wanting private time to himself 😉

We only moved the one out of the room to downstairs during the distance learning while I had to work from home (my office is upstairs). My kids are going back to daycare on Monday so all cameras are back in their rooms.
  • Options
    @boymommatwo Gotcha. I missed the "will" part of your post. That makes sense.