August 2020 Moms

Freezer Meals/Food Prep

I’ve seen it brought up a few times here and there so I figure here’s a place to drop tried and true tips, recipes, and sites. 

TTC1: May 2015
Primary IF May 2016; Failed HSG; Scheduled Lap Sept. 2016
BFP: August 22, 2016/EDD: April 29, 2017
DD: May 1, 2017
TTC2: June 2019
CP September 2019
Lap and repeat HSG scheduled December 2019
BFP: November 24, 2019/EDD: August 2, 2020

Re: Freezer Meals/Food Prep

• Loading the player...
  • @mrswheeler812 that actually sounds like an awesome idea! I’m a weirdo in the kitchen tho and love my space so I can get a system going. I wouldn’t be shy asking for freezer meals en-lieu of gifts. Hmm. 
  • @mrswheeler812 that's such a nice idea! sounds like a lot of fun. 
  • @charhar0820 I will def be doing that too but my SIL is a meal prepping expert so I want to take advantage of it XD
    @roo_baby I think it will be and it will be a very relaxed day for everyone. No stressing over decorations and party themes. Plus since this is another boy the only new things we need is diapers which I know will be tossed at us from all sides 
  • @rivercitynik I made their cauliflower gnocchi last week.  I pan fried them in butter and garlic and added sauteed spinach.  Served with grated parmesan over the top.  It was really simple, quick and tasty.  Tip:  don't bother boiling them first as it makes them mushy, just throw them in the pan frozen. 
    Me: 33  DH: 36
    Dating 4/2008
    Married 6/2016
    TTC #1  9/2019
    BFP 12/13/2019!
    EDD 8/27/2020 Baby Girl  <3
  • @ziggymama06 @rivercitynik I love the cauliflower gnocchi! I pan fry them too and serve with their fresh bruschetta from the refrigerated section, grated Parmesan, fresh basil. 
    Other good TJs items: the quinoa cowboy burgers (I eat a patty over a salad), the frozen Belgian waffles, some of their frozen Asian veggie mixes are good for a quick stir fry, definitely the frozen rice and the frozen quinoa, the Israeli cous cous is very versatile (I make it as a pasta salad or a Greek salad or use as rice), their frozen mini tacos are pretty good too.  I’m a huge TJs fan 😂
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Rack of lamb from TJs is super easy. Just pop in the oven at 400-425 for 18-20 min (use a meat thermometer to confirm its your desired temp). Can serve with potatoes, roasted carrots, or whatever in the same over just a bit longer.
  • Now you guys have me wanting to check out Trader Joe’s. I grew up by quite a few and worked next door to one in my teens but the closest one is 24 miles now. I may need to make a special trip 
    TTC1: May 2015
    Primary IF May 2016; Failed HSG; Scheduled Lap Sept. 2016
    BFP: August 22, 2016/EDD: April 29, 2017
    DD: May 1, 2017
    TTC2: June 2019
    CP September 2019
    Lap and repeat HSG scheduled December 2019
    BFP: November 24, 2019/EDD: August 2, 2020
  • ziggymama06ziggymama06 member
    edited April 2020
    @tara4910 Serving the gnocchi with bruschetta sounds amazing.  I'm eating my yogurt now and totally want that. lol.  I haven't been in an actual grocery store in months now but would love to wander TJ and buy all these things.
    Dating 4/2008
    Married 6/2016
    TTC #1  9/2019
    BFP 12/13/2019!
  • @cornichonmam thanks for sharing your recipe! I had one that I made last time, that I'll look forward to comparing and see if there's anything extra I can incorporate.  I definitely did <i>not</i> have an oversupply, so I I'm happy to try to throw the kitchen sink at it this time LOL

I have seen that link before, but I can't say that I really tried any of the recipes last time.  @barbsaj I will have to pull that one up on my computer and take a closer look... I think even if a person did a <i>fraction</i> of those recipes you'd probably be in good shape!
  • @maelove Damn girl you're making me hungry 🤤  And also wanting to go to TJs lol
    Dating 4/2008
    Married 6/2016
    TTC #1  9/2019
    BFP 12/13/2019!
  • When are you guys starting to prep? I thought it was maybe too early (due end of August) but maybe not? I didn't prep for my last baby and regretted it 
    Married July 2014
    DD born June 2016
    Second due August 2020 (team green!)
  • @BusinessWife As my supply bottomed out with DD, it was a constant stream of oatmeal for breakfast, lactation cookies and muffins as snacks, and a good dark beer during her longest sleep period a night that kept me hobbling through after getting the shot completely tanked my supply. I ended up stopping BFing shortly after I returned to work simply because I was having to basically eat a very pro lactation diet and eat and drink constantly to keep up supply. Basically my last month of BFing was so many lactation cookies and so much oatmeal that for a year after I couldn't stand either... but it DID work. I got through her first 3 months completely on the boob and a fourth month of hybrid before having to turn to formula completely. The recipe I used for cookies was very similar to the one @cornichonmam shared.  I was an over supplier until I got the birth control shot and then it just started tanking. I plan on picking up some brewers yeast in addition to the flax-seed I keep on hand (I put it in my yogurt to help with cholesterol) and starting to incorporate it into my diet as soon as I notice any slipping this time. I worry that maybe if I would have caught the supply drop earlier/faster I maybe could have recovered. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Meal prep sounds like such a daunting task but I have to get started and make some plans. I am not sure if that is a local/regional thing, but we are right around the corner of a chicken shortage. So I need to get some chicken in my freezer - since that is pretty much the only meat we are eating here at my house. Thank you so much for everyone to post recipes. Very helpful!!!
  • @strawberryfields82 @charhar0820Why is there a chicken shortage? We’ve had a big flour shortage here in the UK but I’ve not heard anything about chicken. There is actually plenty of flour but in catering sized bags, the shortage is actually the bags. My supermarket has started weighing out their flour from their bakers into paper bags to sell to customers. 
  • @cornichonmam I think it has something to do with sending workers home so they don't have the processing facilities over crowded, closing extra time to clean etc.
  • @cornichonmam We are looking at potential pork and chicken shortages (at least from what I am aware of) due to the closings of meat processing plants because of the C-19 outbreak. The meat processing plants are really big hot spots due to how close people work together in them, also because they are typically staffed by a lot of low income and often minority people that ride buses and often carpool to get to and from work. These close quarters along with the need to go to work to to survive and the lack of sufficient health care opportunities means that these places are big breeding grounds for the virus.  This is my understanding, based on the fact that my mother works in a hospital that runs a C-19 testing site that has an open contract with a MAJOR meat processing plant in the area and they are getting car loads of minority workers sent from that plant all to be tested together and MOST of the counties positive cases are coming out of this meat processing plant. 

But I could be wrong completely.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @RedBaramid I think you are right. I heard very similar things
  • @BusinessWife @RedBaramid Now you’ve said that it’s obvious. There was a similar issue a few weeks ago in another country in Europe but I can’t remember which, I think either Germany or France. I haven’t heard that it is an issue here but I know they have had problems recruiting the seasonal fruit pickers that usually come from eastern Europe. Generally there has been less of an issue because there are fewer unregistered migrants and EU workers are entitled to medical care and sick pay. Well for the time being at least. Brexit is so stupid, I don’t think I’ll ever get over how angry I am about it!